Anyone gone from an 800 to 850?

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an ‘08 F800GS which for me is great bike. Fast enough, easy to handle and great economy.
I like the look of the new 850GS and really need some justification in shelling out 13 grand.

Anyone care to air their views on the 850? TIA.

3yr warranty, tubeless rims, a bit more go, updated LED lights, electronics and dash, takes 1200/1250 vario luggage. Otherwise you’re not really getting much for what will probably cost you 7-8 grand on top of your 800. If you’re happy with it why change? If you do, don’t get the manual rear shock as it’s rubbish. The bike rides nicely but very different to the 800 as the tank is now in the traditional location. You really need a test ride once lockdown ends to be sure...

Au contraire ... first BMW I ever rode was an 800GT, and while I liked the chassis and the build quality I absolutely hated the engine - listless, no character, no power. It was enough to put me off parallel twins for life, and the salesman had his work cut out getting me to try one. Glad he persevered as the engine in the 850 is a peach, perky & torquey and makes a nice noise. It’s a massive improvement. I ended up buying the 750 (which is also an 850 - thanks BMW) as is basically the same bike but handles much better on road. If I did proper off-road I’d have gone for the 850.

Worth the money? Hell yes!

A bit different I know but last year I was hunting for a 700 mainly because I didn’t want to spend loads for the amount I use it. I test road around 5 one for a couple of hours then I went to a main dealer and the sales guy said the replacement 750 is a completely different bike? He was so right it was so much better and worth every penny it soon ended up in my garage. My dealer was great he gave me the demo bike and just said bring it back when your ready I new in the first 10 minutes but I still kept it for half a day, just get an 850 on loan you may even be able to get a loan for 24hrs.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom