New HD Pan America on HD site now.

It’s a bit like my Thaiumph.....nothing these days is what it seems..

If it's not succesful they could always paint it Green and stick a Kawasaki badge on it :D;; I personally hope it stands on it's own 2 feet and succeed's ; :beerjug:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-130609.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-130609.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 296
76c5e417fabe5f4c119b575396b9fdbe.jpg

Not really a fan of Teapot, but another good review.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N7zdXOt8EVw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just seems to be missing a quickshifter.

I must say I'm liking this machine and seriously considering one for my US trips.

Can't get a decent test ride at the minute but it will certainly be tempting if it rides well.

I must say I'm liking this machine and seriously considering one for my US trips.

Can't get a decent test ride at the minute but it will certainly be tempting if it rides well.

Makes perfect sense .
Add farkles on every trip , bought at $ rate instead of £.
Easy for servicing away , or any parts required, not that it’ll break as it’s not a BMW !

Booked a test ride at M&P Cardiff. Turned up in the afternoon heat in full bike clobber whilst my car was getting serviced, looking forward to a few hours putting the bike through its paces.

On arrival, bike not on forecourt. Uh-oh. Sales guy looking sheepish.

Transpires that some YouTubing V-Logger had the bike the previous day, returned the bike then made off sharpish. Some fault/glitch discovered in the software, bike not rideable. They don't know if/how the Youtuber messed it up, and didn't know what was wrong with it at the time of my visit.

£15k for a brand new RTW adventure bike and it's floored by its own computer. Can't say I'm impressed.

It is incredibly ugly in the flesh and I'm not sure even I can live with that, depsite my previous comments. However very comfortable to sit on ....:banghead:

Had a sit on one today - No good for me - it’s one of those sit in not on adventure bikes designed for short arses - the seat / peg ratio was no good ... too angled.

Got a very short test ride today. Only 20 minutes. 10 minutes on normal A roads and then 10 minutes back down motorway. I liked it. It goes well. Could defo do with quick shifter . Mine had the screaming eagle exhaust but I had to double check because it was so quiet. If I was in the market for an adventure bike that was not a GS I would get a longer test ride. it does look better in a solid colour.
0e875b8c751e49533421191c80b4635e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a sit on one today - No good for me - it’s one of those sit in not on adventure bikes designed for short arses - the seat / peg ratio was no good ... too angled.

I was on the MSAB/BDB at Premier today when one came past the car park. Looked quite nice in the flesh, but the biggest impression it made on me was just how quiet it was! Didn’t sound like a Harley at all.

Why do bikers "need" a quickshifter? We've managed quite well without them for decades and I'm sure we are still quite capable of changing gears without the use of a gizmo that only adds expense and something else that is complicated and liable to go wrong. Another solution to a question that was never asked.

Why do bikers "need" a quickshifter? We've managed quite well without them for decades and I'm sure we are still quite capable of changing gears without the use of a gizmo that only adds expense and something else that is complicated and liable to go wrong. Another solution to a question that was never asked.

Jeez mate, don't say things like that in the 1250 section as there will be tears and tantrums ;)

I dont like the front light. Still makes me think of a hammerhead shark! Maybe HD intended that. But I do like the sound a lot!

Stopped in the local dealership today, first time in a couple years, and they had a orange and white Pan Am demo (that couldn't be ridden until they fixed the coolant leak) and 2 Livewires with"sale tags" hanging off them. Pan Am looked nicer in the flesh than the images I've seen. It felt a little cramped but after raising the seat it was fine and that's about all I could determine by just sitting on it. I was approached by "Debbie" a saleswoman who had been through Harley's training so had ridden it and knew about it to an extent. She answered a few questions but had no idea when I asked what was the strength or resistance to damage difference between cast and spoke wheels? She said "the spokes are more for off road". Yes, yes I understand this but how "much more"? In other words "how much tougher or stronger are the spoke wheels, 10%, 50%,..... ? She didn't know that, I wonder if anyone does?

Stopped in the local dealership today, first time in a couple years, and they had a orange and white Pan Am demo (that couldn't be ridden until they fixed the coolant leak) and 2 Livewires with"sale tags" hanging off them. Pan Am looked nicer in the flesh than the images I've seen. It felt a little cramped but after raising the seat it was fine and that's about all I could determine by just sitting on it. I was approached by "Debbie" a saleswoman who had been through Harley's training so had ridden it and knew about it to an extent. She answered a few questions but had no idea when I asked what was the strength or resistance to damage difference between cast and spoke wheels? She said "the spokes are more for off road". Yes, yes I understand this but how "much more"? In other words "how much tougher or stronger are the spoke wheels, 10%, 50%,..... ? She didn't know that, I wonder if anyone does?

To be fair that is probably not a question that comes up too often.

To be fair that is probably not a question that comes up too often.

I doubt anyone knows the answer to that question. There’s a lot of variables.

In general, I guess the spoke wheels have more “give” in them if they hit a large rock or something and can be trued in the field to a degree, but asking a salesperson to quantify how much stronger they are seems strange.

I wonder if Clinton would have been happy if she had just said “46%”….

I imagine Harley knows the answer. It'd also be nice to know the difference in weight. Some years back BMW described "the cast wheels on a GS were designed for off road use because they are heavier duty than the regular cast wheels on our street bikes. But for more extreme off road use we offer optional tubeless spoke wheels." Just a statement like that would assure riders like me that the lace wheel option isn't necessary for typical dirt roads and moderate trail riding. The only reason I ask is because I far prefer cast wheels for the advantage of being easier to clean and never shifting out of true. But I bent the front rim on my RS pretty bad hitting a pothole on the (so called) paved road leading to the dirt road I live on. All the holes were filled with water and what I thought was a shallow hole turned out to be one of the monsters. Had to send it off to be repaired which cost $400 with shipping. Of course BMW road bike wheels are soft.
Looking closely at the Pan Am's cast wheels they "appear" to be quite stout, but only $100 more than the wheel repair cost would paye for laced wheels.

Debbie has texted me already this morning asking if I got the phone message with the price quote she left yesterday? Her quote was $1,100 over Harley's suggest retail price "plus fees of course". It's a shame Harley brings out an all new motorcycle that's competitively priced in the attempt to gain market share only to for their dealers to drive interested buyers away.

As 98.9% of all adventure bikes meet nothing more challenging then a camp site field… it’s mostly just bollocks.

I imagine Harley knows the answer. It'd also be nice to know the difference in weight. Some years back BMW described "the cast wheels on a GS were designed for off road use because they are heavier duty than the regular cast wheels on our street bikes. But for more extreme off road use we offer optional tubeless spoke wheels." Just a statement like that would assure riders like me that the lace wheel option isn't necessary for typical dirt roads and moderate trail riding. The only reason I ask is because I far prefer cast wheels for the advantage of being easier to clean and never shifting out of true. But I bent the front rim on my RS pretty bad hitting a pothole on the (so called) paved road leading to the dirt road I live on. All the holes were filled with water and what I thought was a shallow hole turned out to be one of the monsters. Had to send it off to be repaired which cost $400 with shipping. Of course BMW road bike wheels are soft.
Looking closely at the Pan Am's cast wheels they "appear" to be quite stout, but only $100 more than the wheel repair cost would paye for laced wheels.

Debbie has texted me already this morning asking if I got the phone message with the price quote she left yesterday? Her quote was $1,100 over Harley's suggest retail price "plus fees of course". It's a shame Harley brings out an all new motorcycle that's competitively priced in the attempt to gain market share only to for their dealers to drive interested buyers away.

That’s shit. At least here in the UK, MSRP is the out of the door price and buying a bike is all about seeing how much less you can get it for.

I didn’t get anything off the bike price, but I did get 15% off all the add ins.

Tell Debbie, you will happily buy one at RRP…… if not … the doors over there…

Back
Top Bottom