TFT update

Been enthralled with this thread and the great opinions so thought I may add to the debate since my second video of incompatibility with iOS and the state of play today (29/7). Since the update to the TFT I had in April (022_007_020) a few things improved dramatically

1) My iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 14.7.1) and Sena SRL (v1.1.2) now BOTH connect to the TFT 99% of the time for Phone/music

2) The volume for phone calls in particular has a much louder ‘top end’ and you almost hear that ‘click’ louder when the call connects and starts ringing

3) The calls and music are pretty flawless given the phone is moving in terrain where you would probably lose it in a car

4) The connected app connection (This runs the Nav function ONLY in the TFT and is independent of the phone/media connection) is still very poor and pretty much exactly as the video. This fault is acknowledged by the developers as being introduced when iOS 13.2. I have tried via comments to the video and my own testing to fix it and identify the combination that makes some successful and others not. Obviously I have all the settings for the app ‘on’ (Always On, Precise Location, Network access, phone not switched off and permanently powered, etc). Here’s what I’ve tried to identify any issue. Phone mounted on handlebars right by TFT. Deleted all other pairings from phone so it only has TFT connection, different iPhone 11 Pro, different SRL, No Nav 6. (See delete all other BT connections). Each time I make a test change I reset all connections (TFT, Phone, Sena) and re-pair. Android phone (borrowed) just works.

5) Because the media/phone are connected even if the connected app disconnects from the TFT (I lose turn by turn and MPH square) I still get ‘called’ directions through the media channel that is still connected but often when the app is actually disconnected this can ‘lag’ by several miles meaning The instructions are ‘late’

Something I’ve discovered is that they have throttled the BT range back to conserve battery. In my eyes that is not needed as powering phone from usb or power bank would be no issue but if you run connected app on iPhone without power and leave phone on (as advised by BMW) it’ll suck juice

Finally BT is a mature tech. It should work. BMW should be praised for building a motorcycle orientated app (eg not CarPlay or similar) but this could raise doubt on what other electronics don’t work? I’d love them to fix this. I’d love to help but for those who just say ignore it and enjoy the ride. If this was a VW car there’d be a class lawsuit

Hope I’ve added to this debate and mostly, just hope in some update (iPhone, App or TFT) this just starts working. I love the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent post, thanks for taking the time. I've not long emigrated from a 18' K1600 GTL to a 21 GSA TE. The GTL audio wise was an expensive nonsense of which BMW should be ashamed. The GSA however is a different kettle of fish. Luckily for me and very importantly for users of BMW Connect/TFT I have a new Samsung Phone with Android. My phone use BT 5.? and I believe the TFT has BT 4.?. My headset, though labelled N-Com 902X, is actually Sena and again is BT 4.?.

I also have a Nav 6 which Garmin have just swapped free of charge for the 4th time due to ghosting etc. The latest offering is a 'Refresh' version, which Garmin tell me has an entirely new screen that does not ghost....we will see. I've only just received this unit which is yet to be incorporated into my set up and will report further on that. Its interface is different and am told its similar to the Zumo XT.

Anyway I have to say that the TFT/BMW Connect/Sena/Android combo I have works very, very well. I connect the phone to the TFT then the headset to the TFT, that's it. Re-connection happens reliably and there are no 'drop outs'. If I were to nitpick I'd say reconnection takes a little too long. To combat that I've got into the habit of switching on the bike before I'm ready to go whilst putting on helmets and gloves. Then, by the time I'm aboard all is connected and off we go.

I have my phone attached to the bike via a Ram Ball mirror bracket, short arm and a Ram Mount wireless charger permanently wired direct to the battery using Optimate cabling and a monitored auto shut off USB discreetly cable tied out of sight. The Ram Mount Wireless Charger on off switch is again cable tied discreetly (I hate cables all over the place). Overall the system works well using the on-off switch if I remember or allowing the auto-shut off Optimate USB to take care of it. My phone is a Samsung S21 Ultra with a very bright screen. The charger just about keeps it fully charged with the screen on and BMW Connect, along with all the usual apps. I almost always start with 100% and even over very, very long 15 hour days the phones state of charge remains good. Ram though could do better, especially considering the relatively high cost.

Lastly I find using Google Maps to plan routes, converting the URL into GPX, which then opens automatically with BMW Connect on my phone to be a real bonus. Routes are accurate and easy even when on the move down route. The apps ability to record rides placing photographs where they were taken along the route is another big bonus. I have been a critic of BMW's audio offerings. For Android users they have done well with this GS TFT, well done BMW. Let us hope they sort out the issues with Apple asap.

Been enthralled with this thread and the great opinions so thought I may add to the debate since my second video of incompatibility with iOS and the state of play today (29/7). Since the update to the TFT I had in April (022_007_020) a few things improved dramatically

1) My iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 14.7.1) and Sena SRL (v1.1.2) now BOTH connect to the TFT 99% of the time for Phone/music

2) The volume for phone calls in particular has a much louder ‘top end’ and you almost hear that ‘click’ louder when the call connects and starts ringing

3) The calls and music are pretty flawless given the phone is moving in terrain where you would probably lose it in a car

4) The connected app connection (This runs the Nav function ONLY in the TFT and is independent of the phone/media connection) is still very poor and pretty much exactly as the video. This fault is acknowledged by the developers as being introduced when iOS 13.2. I have tried via comments to the video and my own testing to fix it and identify the combination that makes some successful and others not. Obviously I have all the settings for the app ‘on’ (Always On, Precise Location, Network access, phone not switched off and permanently powered, etc). Here’s what I’ve tried to identify any issue. Phone mounted on handlebars right by TFT. Deleted all other pairings from phone so it only has TFT connection, different iPhone 11 Pro, different SRL, No Nav 6. (See delete all other BT connections). Each time I make a test change I reset all connections (TFT, Phone, Sena) and re-pair. Android phone (borrowed) just works.

5) Because the media/phone are connected even if the connected app disconnects from the TFT (I lose turn by turn and MPH square) I still get ‘called’ directions through the media channel that is still connected but often when the app is actually disconnected this can ‘lag’ by several miles meaning The instructions are ‘late’

Something I’ve discovered is that they have throttled the BT range back to conserve battery. In my eyes that is not needed as powering phone from usb or power bank would be no issue but if you run connected app on iPhone without power and leave phone on (as advised by BMW) it’ll suck juice

Finally BT is a mature tech. It should work. BMW should be praised for building a motorcycle orientated app (eg not CarPlay or similar) but this could raise doubt on what other electronics don’t work? I’d love them to fix this. I’d love to help but for those who just say ignore it and enjoy the ride. If this was a VW car there’d be a class lawsuit

Hope I’ve added to this debate and mostly, just hope in some update (iPhone, App or TFT) this just starts working. I love the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent post, thanks for taking the time. I've not long emigrated from a 18' K1600 GTL to a 21 GSA TE. The GTL audio wise was an expensive nonsense of which BMW should be ashamed. The GSA however is a different kettle of fish. Luckily for me and very importantly for users of BMW Connect/TFT I have a new Samsung Phone with Android. My phone use BT 5.? and I believe the TFT has BT 4.?. My headset, though labelled N-Com 902X, is actually Sena and again is BT 4.?.

I also have a Nav 6 which Garmin have just swapped free of charge for the 4th time due to ghosting etc. The latest offering is a 'Refresh' version, which Garmin tell me has an entirely new screen that does not ghost....we will see. I've only just received this unit which is yet to be incorporated into my set up and will report further on that. Its interface is different and am told its similar to the Zumo XT.

Anyway I have to say that the TFT/BMW Connect/Sena/Android combo I have works very, very well. I connect the phone to the TFT then the headset to the TFT, that's it. Re-connection happens reliably and there are no 'drop outs'. If I were to nitpick I'd say reconnection takes a little too long. To combat that I've got into the habit of switching on the bike before I'm ready to go whilst putting on helmets and gloves. Then, by the time I'm aboard all is connected and off we go.

I have my phone attached to the bike via a Ram Ball mirror bracket, short arm and a Ram Mount wireless charger permanently wired direct to the battery using Optimate cabling and a monitored auto shut off USB discreetly cable tied out of sight. The Ram Mount Wireless Charger on off switch is again cable tied discreetly (I hate cables all over the place). Overall the system works well using the on-off switch if I remember or allowing the auto-shut off Optimate USB to take care of it. My phone is a Samsung S21 Ultra with a very bright screen. The charger just about keeps it fully charged with the screen on and BMW Connect, along with all the usual apps. I almost always start with 100% and even over very, very long 15 hour days the phones state of charge remains good. Ram though could do better, especially considering the relatively high cost.

Lastly I find using Google Maps to plan routes, converting the URL into GPX, which then opens automatically with BMW Connect on my phone to be a real bonus. Routes are accurate and easy even when on the move down route. The apps ability to record rides placing photographs where they were taken along the route is another big bonus. I have been a critic of BMW's audio offerings. For Android users they have done well with this GS TFT, well done BMW. Let us hope they sort out the issues with Apple asap.

Stay safe and well guys.

Regards,

Tony

Had mine updated today from 022-007-020 (which was done last April) to 022-008-020.

I was having Bluetooth issues, but at the moment each time I’ve turn it on everything has connected without issue. That’s using a sena headset and iPhone XR. That’s irrespective of the order in which I turn the bike and head on.

I don’t use a nav so can’t comment on that.

Had mine updated today from 022-007-020 (which was done last April) to 022-008-020.

I was having Bluetooth issues, but at the moment each time I’ve turn it on everything has connected without issue. That’s using a sena headset and iPhone XR. That’s irrespective of the order in which I turn the bike and head on.

I don’t use a nav so can’t comment on that.

Update on the update.....its still a bit pants. Connects, mostly, but still randomly wont connect from time to time. The only way to fix it is to stop and turn off the ignition and back on again.

Update on the update.....its still a bit pants. Connects, mostly, but still randomly wont connect from time to time. The only way to fix it is to stop and turn off the ignition and back on again.

Nothing to do with the TFT. Its IOS. Both BMW & Apple are (slowly) trying to get round the IOS permissions and sharing securities. IOS simply doesnt like sharing with anything other than IOS !

Nothing to do with the TFT. Its IOS. Both BMW & Apple are (slowly) trying to get round the IOS permissions and sharing securities. IOS simply doesnt like sharing with anything other than IOS !

That is correct but you can say it over and over again and people will still not believe you. Apple owners, only 27% of the worlds phone use IOS, will tell you that it is the fault of BMW.

That is correct but you can say it over and over again and people will still not believe you. Apple owners, only 27% of the worlds phone use IOS, will tell you that it is the fault of BMW.

I normally wont even waste my time replying now or posting on threads like this here, or in my TFT group. It should be general knowledge by now. The problem is, Many people are branded, and wont accept the issue could be with their beloved Iphone !

I normally wont even waste my time replying now or posting on threads like this here, or in my TFT group. It should be general knowledge by now. The problem is, Many people are branded, and wont accept the issue could be with their beloved Iphone !

Is your name Nigel?

Actually no. Whist I am the first person to blame Apple with its restrictive policies, in this case it’s not IOS.

My phone connects to the TFT without issue. Just like it always connects to my car without issue. Its my headset that fails to connect and it’s only connected to the TFT, not the phone.

So not Apple. Not Sena. But BMW.

And right there is the classic example:D

:thumb

And right there is the classic example:D

:thumb

If you're wrong, you're wrong.
I will say it again, i am not defending IOS,. I also think its shit. This has nothing to do with IOS though, this between the headset and the TFT.

The Sena has a known issue with the firmware and TFT.

Sena firmware for 50s and 50r (not sure of others) since 1.0.7 has connectivity issues and problems with sound, especially when Garmin is involved too. earlier firmware is ok. Not sure about new firmware 1.1 as I've not yet tried it, but Sena have addressed something with TFT according two release notes.

Have you got those release notes ?

got it .
March 4, 2022
Added Harman Kardon settings to the Sena Bluetooth Device Manager
Added automatically placing the headset into Phone Pairing mode after a Factory Reset
Added volume synchronization between a smartphone and the headset
Added volume synchronization between a BWM Mottorad TFT display and the headset
Minor bug fix with controlling the volume on the headset when using the voice commands

not sure if this the right place to ask but after an update to 022_008_020 last week my music now suddenly speeds up to something like 1.5 speed? anyone else had this?

set up is as follows:
iPhone SE 2nd gen to TFT (yes I know its old but its my works mobile)
Packtalk Black mobile 1 channel to TFT
Packtalk black mobile 2 channel to Nav VI
iphone to Nav VI for the Garmin app
Configured as per Nick's video for comms prioritys etc.
I also have the BMW connected app running etc.

with

Mines been updated, now doesn’t disconnect after a phone call, so that’s a win.

not sure if this the right place to ask but after an update to 022_008_020 last week my music now suddenly speeds up to something like 1.5 speed? anyone else had this?

set up is as follows:
iPhone SE 2nd gen to TFT (yes I know its old but its my works mobile)
Packtalk Black mobile 1 channel to TFT
Packtalk black mobile 2 channel to Nav VI
iphone to Nav VI for the Garmin app
Configured as per Nick's video for comms prioritys etc.
I also have the BMW connected app running etc.

with
Mine does this to, it’s like listening to Freddie Star singing but it’s always done it on every update.

Back
Top Bottom