1290 Super Adventure R

Stop saying it is so much better, I am happy with mine and a bit skint!

I love my 2018 S Model, luckily on a back-to-back-to-back test ride when mine was last serviced the differences seemed very small - certainly not worth the upgrade cost, I suspect a lot of the improvements would show up more over a longer term rather than a 1 hour spin.

IMHO the biggest difference is it fits smaller people - but for me it felt cramped (34" inside leg) so I would have to try the taller seat options.

It also felt low at the back to me, with a sat-in riding position, I love the sat-on position of the older model, I immediately put pre-load up to 100% on demo ride and it still felt as if it was 2 inches too low at the back - but I suspect I would get used to that, and taller seat in highest position may offset the "issue"

Unfortunately demo did not have QS, as that is one thing (well gearbox in general) I have found a little crap on the 3 1X90s we have owned, all can be a bit notchy and I get the odd false neutral with the QS.

Like the new Air Filter location - a big benefit to anyone who wants to do home maintenance.

One question )that probably cannot be answered until July) - Has the heat to the legs been reduced? I find my 1290 be be a bit better than the 1190 I owned (Both had insulated rear headers fitted) and it is not really that noticeable until temps well into 20's, but by 30c I find I have to hang one leg out a bit to avoid it being roasted.

Might just be failed memory.
It’s a few years since I last rode a 1290.Know what you mean about it being lower, but actually I like that now as my knees are fucked.
I’m sure the motor is MUCH smoother yet seems to have more grunt.The quick shifter is definitely better.It’s so slick and I’ve not missed a gear yet.

Stop saying it is so much better, I am happy with mine and a bit skint!

I love my 2018 S Model, luckily on a back-to-back-to-back test ride when mine was last serviced the differences seemed very small - certainly not worth the upgrade cost, I suspect a lot of the improvements would show up more over a longer term rather than a 1 hour spin.

IMHO the biggest difference is it fits smaller people - but for me it felt cramped (34" inside leg) so I would have to try the taller seat options.

It also felt low at the back to me, with a sat-in riding position, I love the sat-on position of the older model, I immediately put pre-load up to 100% on demo ride and it still felt as if it was 2 inches too low at the back - but I suspect I would get used to that, and taller seat in highest position may offset the "issue"

Unfortunately demo did not have QS, as that is one thing (well gearbox in general) I have found a little crap on the 3 1X90s we have owned, all can be a bit notchy and I get the odd false neutral with the QS.

Like the new Air Filter location - a big benefit to anyone who wants to do home maintenance.

One question )that probably cannot be answered until July) - Has the heat to the legs been reduced? I find my 1290 be be a bit better than the 1190 I owned (Both had insulated rear headers fitted) and it is not really that noticeable until temps well into 20's, but by 30c I find I have to hang one leg out a bit to avoid it being roasted.

No problem in the heat, did a 3,500 mile, 3 week trip to Spain in August last year no issue with heat from the engine. Similar level of heat to my previous R1200GSA Hexhead. Twas generally a tad warm from the sunshine though.

No problem in the heat, did a 3,500 mile, 3 week trip to Spain in August last year no issue with heat from the engine. Similar level of heat to my previous R1200GSA Hexhead. Twas generally a tad warm from the sunshine though.

Likewise - no issues with my SAS - the twin radiator set up and the way it directs the heat away from the bike plus insulated rear header as standard have further improved the heat issue over the earlier ones :thumb

I did test ride the older version of the S and R and didn’t like them as much as my old 1190, but as Arsey says, the new bike is a revelation.

It’s a massive step from the 1190.

I’ve added the Zumo XT so I haven’t really tried the KTM app yet, and I must admit I hadn’t found the USB charger in the cubby - I’ll have to have a look.

I did a long run yesterday with the KTM side cases fitted, (https://www.ktm.com/en-us/parts---w...d.html?year=2021&segment=Travel&model=F9903U6) and there was absolutely no head shake at 3 figure speeds.

I have added the Perun rear rack and the Givi top box kit, so I’ll try with the top box next.

I’m quite pleased with KTM Luggage, too. The left had pannier easily takes a full face lid, and with the inner bags they are quite easy to use, though maybe not as good as a top loader.

I don’t feel the bike is undersprung, and I’m about 95kg fully kitted up.

Fitted my XT to the bike today.
What a bastard to strip.
Had to remove most of the panels on the right side to access the ACC2 cables .

a43fae1529094aeba619ae79a10e6b42.jpg

826524cf0b87d71f228cc7cf109f253f.jpg

Took a while to fit the mounting brackets and locks etc but very happy with the fit and quality .

Quick release frames in about 20 seconds aside .

af495f117b4804a0e7ec31310f4d008e.jpg

f7758e2d36aa37efff7d43ece32052fa.jpg

1d003a068055ebf8ffc322a1da684af1.jpg

0ec04957ea0ca2b294c1224d8f29c732.jpg

7a1c5651ebfd8dfefe559d8a0c6e340d.jpg

The eagle-eyed will spot that two bolts either side are the wrong colour , so I’ve let SW Motech know and they are sending correct ones .

Agreed, probly looks worse due to camera foreshortening.

How wide is it Arsey?

It is quite wide but I’m not bothered.
But if you look at the pics, the right side couldn’t be any closer to the exhaust .The left side could be tucked in a bit.
I’ll only use the panniers a couple of times a year at most when away in Europe two-up.
Filtering won’t be an issue as there is no traffic where we ride.
The rest of the time , the panniers and frames will be in the loft, just leaving the small attachment points.
Much better than having scaffolding on the bike 365 days a year.

True dat. Does look great without panniers on mind!

Very impressed with the SW Motech kit though .
I’ve only really had tank bags and tail packs from them before .
Both the pannier frames and the panniers look very well made . I’ve got inner bags and lid nets too .
Also a large and small tank bag arrived . Will fit that tomorrow as need to fit the tank ring and then adjust the fitment for the large bag.

The latest SW Motech tank bags are even better than before . No drilling required . Can be tailored to suit which position on tank you want and attach to the tank ring much better as have a magnet to aid alignment .

Touring :

0410e5b2ff97270672d4c710ded46605.jpg

10a7226cc8f0c505bcb2184abfcfc8c1.jpg

Non touring

6512bce33522489e9270f79b6c41bccc.jpg

Width at rear with panniers is 110 cm

46149629228e8177847ec4542c1cb08f.jpg

b5757c6335d852d92c92e40982e84872.jpg

Back
Top Bottom