1290 Super Adventure R

I'll check with the dealer if there's a software switch, but since its basically the same bike as the 1290SAS, surely just putting on 19/17 wheels, even KTM ones with the ABS ring to match, should be doable.

I'll check with the dealer if there's a software switch, but since its basically the same bike as the 1290SAS, surely just putting on 19/17 wheels, even KTM ones with the ABS ring to match, should be doable.

You'd think so wouldn't you...............

On the 701 though both the SM & Enduro use the same ABS rings despite the different wheel sizes (same tooth count, same part number) and same hubs so the EMS must be switchable somehow. Buggered if I / the dealer could find out how though.

Hopefully yours can be switched.

Andres

Well, just had the first service. Thoughts so far, engine excellent, much smoother and torquier than the 1190, very stable and easy to ride slowly due to low down weight, fit and finish very good, dash and controls easy to use, dash is very clear, a bit disconcerting at first as it flicks between night and day mode too often. Got a Scott oiler fitted which takes care of chain maintenance.

I had an issue with the rear tyre losing pressure - the wheels are tubeless spoked, sealed at the spoke and it’s possible a spoke isn’t sealing properly. Anyway, Premier tweaked the spokes so we’ll see, it’ll be a new wheel if that doesn’t fix it.

Back brake works well, but feels a bit soft and has lots of travel. They bled it but made no difference. Could be just different character to my other bikes - any views?

And the indicator switch is weird, kind of pointy and hard to cancel, but getting used to that too.

Rear wheel replaced under warranty, I’ll keep an eye on this new one.

Anyone had a remap? Is it worth it? The fuelling seems pretty good but it doesn’t seem as happy to rev as my old 1190

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deffo worth remapping my 2017 - feels far more eager than the 2021 I tried
Apex will be along shortly I expect - he’s had a 2021 renapoed

Rear wheel replaced under warranty, I’ll keep an eye on this new one.

Anyone had a remap? Is it worth it? The fuelling seems pretty good but it doesn’t seem as happy to rev as my old 1190

Tempted myself, BSD can map the ECU and have a lot of KTM experience, but it is not cheap, may be worth asking if they will do a deal on 2 bikes as if the price was right I might go for it.

I think the not willing to rev thing is more the extra grunt down low making it feel less top-endy, I owned the 1190 and 1290 at the same time and used to swap between them quite a lot, the feel is very different, but convinced top end is similar - but certainly the 1190 "felt" as quick up top, but the sub 4k grunt on the 1290 was way more noticeable.

Doubt a remap would bring back the 1190 character, but might smooth things out, add a couple of BHP and possibly run a smidge cooler - just not sure that's worth the price

My mate is selling his 1290R so took it for a spin.
Was surprised how much more refined it felt compared to my old 2018 version.
Much smoother low down .Like the upgraded TFT and back-lit switch gear.
Indicator switch is a bit shite.
Great handling and balance due to the ‘pannier tank’.
Quite tempted but garage is full and would need to sell something.

8396f37d46a42b677afcc809b4c18a85.jpg

Nice that. The S works better for me though.

Yes, a very different bike to the 2017 model.

The indicator needs a new brain path but once formed it's ok actually. Not sure why they designed it thus.

Following on from above ……
It looks like I’ve sold my Husky 701LR.
Utterly cracking bike but really need a bike for two up so I can take wifey with me away on something other than the RKS.
Coincidentally a mate is selling his 2021 1290R as pictured above and here

8b377ac96db4000983a90e7005c1a89d.jpg

d9c026da19c1568b7043bd1d83a37865.jpg

First registered in June 2021 and only done 700 miles !!
As shown, fitted with Akra, plus the Powerparts Ergo one piece seat and Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs.

Love those tyres as had them on my 790R and ATAS, though the TC light flickers all the time in the cold !!!

Went out for an hour this afternoon with wife on the back and she was more than happy.
Wanted to check,although she was fine on my earlier 1290R which we took to both Germany and Spain.

6d6120dfe83b46894e05197d2090ddf7.jpg

I never really gelled with the old bike. Not sure why. Ended up selling it as preferred my ATAS DCT.

But the new bike seems much better.Seems much smoother.Better gear change, quick shifter,much smoother motor but possibly even gruntier ? Much better screen etc etc.

So I’m very tempted, but need to move quickly ish as he’s going to part ex it in a week or so if not sold privately.

I can get it for about £3.5k less than it owes him so a pretty good deal I think.

But I’d need to get new luggage etc as sold both sets of Bumots when I sold my ATAS !

I have a few questions for any owners, please ?

1/Am I right in thinking that I can have turn by turn nav if I pay for the nav app and then Bluetooth it to the screen ?
If so, how good is it practice ? I would normally have Shoeis connected together via SRL/Bluetooth but seem to recall that I could pair them both via My Ride ?

2/ Can you get the heated Ergo rider and pillion seats for the R ?
The Configurator on the website only shows the 2022 1290S and not the R but I’m assuming you can as I had heated seats on my old bike ?
If so, and I went down this route, is there still an issue with the riders seat dropping as I recall reading a while back ?

Ta for any answers.

Cant really comment on the turn by turn as I use a Nav6, tried it on the GS version I didn't like it.
I've got the heated ergo front seat and standard ergo backseat on my S.First bike I've had with heated seat I love it.
Really pleased I made the move from a GS I personally think the KTM is a better built bike than the GS.
Re the indicator the technic is to push it down and not in, in my experiance I rarely fail to cancel them now.
Get it bought
Mts

I have a few questions for any owners, please ?

1/Am I right in thinking that I can have turn by turn nav if I pay for the nav app and then Bluetooth it to the screen ?
If so, how good is it practice ? I would normally have Shoeis connected together via SRL/Bluetooth but seem to recall that I could pair them both via My Ride ?

2/ Can you get the heated Ergo rider and pillion seats for the R ?
The Configurator on the website only shows the 2022 1290S and not the R but I’m assuming you can as I had heated seats on my old bike ?
If so, and I went down this route, is there still an issue with the riders seat dropping as I recall reading a while back ?

Ta for any answers.

The KTM my ride sat nav app is still pretty poor - do not know anyone who is actually using it! Would still stick with a dedicated sat nav.

Seats are still interchangeable including the heated ones - see link here https://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/products/ktm-heated-ergo-high-seat-1290-super-adventure-sr-21-on

Note though that if you go for the tall version and put it in the higher position you end up with a gap/ridge at the back which is far from ideal!

Thanks guys .
Paul, I wouldn’t go for the tall as my knees are fucked .
Any issues with seat dropping ?
What were the OE tyres on the R ? Ta.

Thanks guys .
Paul, I wouldn’t go for the tall as my knees are fucked .
Any issues with seat dropping ?
What were the OE tyres on the R ? Ta.

Reference seat dropping - not had the issue with the original seat which I used for nearly 1,000 miles or with the high Ergo seat I used for about 2,500 miles (both used in the high position) before swapping out for the Orange bench seat.
If buying a new heated Ergo seat you could still get the tall one and use it in the lower position which puts it roughly at the same ht as the standard SAS seat in the high position - and can then of course not drop ;)

Reference seat dropping - not had the issue with the original seat which I used for nearly 1,000 miles or with the high Ergo seat I used for about 2,500 miles (both used in the high position) before swapping out for the Orange bench seat.
If buying a new heated Ergo seat you could still get the tall one and use it in the lower position which puts it roughly at the same ht as the standard SAS seat in the high position - and can then of course not drop ;)

Good info ta.
The one piece Powerparts seat on the bike now is ok for height and is a standard height so I assume would be same as standard heated Ergo rider seat on low setting ?

fd54c1dfa66eb2f9d6c9011e04b5f6d0.jpg

MickTheSaw;6218696 Re the indicator the technic is to push it down and not in Mts[/QUOTE said:
Down AND in. A bit. Kind of. Possibly in and down. Or is it down and in. Whichever way, you'll adapt.

The KTM my ride sat nav app is still pretty poor - do not know anyone who is actually using it! Would still stick with a dedicated sat nav.

Seats are still interchangeable including the heated ones - see link here https://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/products/ktm-heated-ergo-high-seat-1290-super-adventure-sr-21-on

Note though that if you go for the tall version and put it in the higher position you end up with a gap/ridge at the back which is far from ideal!

I went for the tall front on the low setting. Gets rid of the gap at the back and eliminates the seat drop issue as already low. P Parts seats essential for rider & pillion. Can't comment on the bench. R is taller though isn't it?

Knees - more bent than the 2017 but zero knee issues on Spain trip, first time ever on any bike touring.

You'll probably get the R.... but few would return from mile munching thinking it is more comfortable than the S. The suspension on the S is magic carpet stuff. Anti dive on, comfort mode - bliss.

Back
Top Bottom