1290 Super Adventure R

Cookie - you are off the hook ;)

Having now had three 19" front wheel "S" models (1190, 2017 - 1290 and 2021 - 1290) I adapted to the 21" R model within 50 to 100 miles no problem and most of that was wanting to make sure the tyres were fully scrubbed in.

Suspension still in standard settings feels very good and compliant and not missing (the very good) electronic suspension on my last S model.

So far, so good and it looks much nicer that the S model to boot :D

interesting, this will probably be my next bike purchase but I don't think I will sell my 690, R or S though. Any comparisons would be good

interesting, this will probably be my next bike purchase but I don't think I will sell my 690, R or S though. Any comparisons would be good

Both the R and the S are very good bikes - the pannier fuel tanks give them great balance and I just love the 1290 V twin motor :D

Which is best for you comes down personal preference:

The S - semi active suspension is very good but you need to pay extra for Suspension Pro which gives you anti dive and greater adjustability. Much better than the last 2021 R1250GS I tried and you can adjust on the move. Great if you regularly take a pillion as the suspensions automatically adjusts the preload etc in auto mode. Radar cruise actually works very well but not something I will miss. Much wider selection of tyres to choose from as they are the GS sizes.

The R - good quality conventional suspension (and therefore less to go wrong!) - 21" front wheel better on our pot holed roads, better looks IMO, still comes with normal cruise control. Smaller wind screen but easily changed if you want a larger one. Less choice of road orientated tyres but Bridgstone A41's working well so far for me and Trail Attack 3's also fit along with Pirrelli STR's etc

I would say test ride both but demo rides on the R are like rocking horse shit!

Both the R and the S are very good bikes - the pannier fuel tanks give them great balance and I just love the 1290 V twin motor :D

Which is best for you comes down personal preference:

The S - semi active suspension is very good but you need to pay extra for Suspension Pro which gives you anti dive and greater adjustability. Much better than the last 2021 R1250GS I tried and you can adjust on the move. Great if you regularly take a pillion as the suspensions automatically adjusts the preload etc in auto mode. Radar cruise actually works very well but not something I will miss. Much wider selection of tyres to choose from as they are the GS sizes.

The R - good quality conventional suspension (and therefore less to go wrong!) - 21" front wheel better on our pot holed roads, better looks IMO, still comes with normal cruise control. Smaller wind screen but easily changed if you want a larger one. Less choice of road orientated tyres but Bridgstone A41's working well so far for me and Trail Attack 3's also fit along with Pirrelli STR's etc

I would say test ride both but demo rides on the R are like rocking horse shit!
‘Auto Preload’? I have the suspension pro on my 2021 1290SAS and have never seen that option. I use the ‘Auto’ mode most of the time for the damping.

‘Auto Preload’? I have the suspension pro on my 2021 1290SAS and have never seen that option. I use the ‘Auto’ mode most of the time for the damping.

The bike should have 3 auto preload settings as well as the manual settings in 10% increments - you did read the manual did you not :augie

1690802927549.png

The bike should have 3 auto preload settings as well as the manual settings in 10% increments - you did read the manual did you not :augie

View attachment 276134
Obviously didn’t read that section of the manual. I thought the % increase option was the ‘additional’ feature of the Suspension Pro option, rather than the Low, Standard, High.

I tend use either Standard or 50%-60% when riding solo & 70% with a pillion.

If it the Low, Standard, High option automatically adjusts depending on load that’s great, it’s just not how I understood it to work. Every day is a school day.

Obviously didn’t read that section of the manual. I thought the % increase option was the ‘additional’ feature of the Suspension Pro option, rather than the Low, Standard, High.

I tend use either Standard or 50%-60% when riding solo & 70% with a pillion.

If it the Low, Standard, High option automatically adjusts depending on load that’s great, it’s just not how I understood it to work. Every day is a school day.
Easy to misunderstand it :)

The low, standard and high relates primarily to the length of your legs but it is fully automatic in terms of load.

On my last SAS had it set on Auto normal HT preload and tended to switch between Comfort and Off Road damping. I found the Off Road damping setting to be a very good setting for the road strangely enough (y)

Back
Top Bottom