GS310 delivered today

GCarpe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Joined the forum in anticipation of purchasing a GS310 which was delivered today by Lings. Pair of Anlass capra x tyres turned up as well. Waiting for some rally raid parts, and R&G protection. Can't wait to get it finished ,and on the dirt.

well nice to see another local out on the lanes soon . are you going full rally raid ? only in sudbury

I bought a Rally Raid G310 last September and love it, though I've had limited opportunity to ride the darn thang due to lockdown etc. It's still shod with Tourances on RR spoked wheels, but I'm planning to put some Anlas Capra X tyres on soon for off road use. I'd be interested to know how you find them :beerjug:

Hi everybody, Fitting engine bars ,renthals, rad cover, and the Annals Capras soon. Everything turned up very quickly so this weekend will be putting most of this on. Will definitely be getting the suspension from RR in the near future. Spoked wheels maybe later if the cast wheels suffer badly from off road use.Will post what I think of the Capras against the original tyres .Got a tail tidy ,and side stand foot from R&G.
The next big consideration is replacing the exhaust, and while the RR exhaust looks good Remus manufacture an exhaust which exits under the seat to the right hand side thereby doing away with the need for the passenger footage hangers. Has anybody fitted one of these yet ?

Looking forward to getting out there soon.

I have been a member of the Essex greenlanders for a few years now ,and anybody wishing to come out for a ride ,when we are allowed, check out the site for ride information.

Cheers

Okay predictive text caught me out Essex Greenlaners home will get you to the site.

may well see you out on the trails , bikes be good so far but dont spend to much as they drop like stone in value .

GCarpe, I was an off-roading novice and wanted to try some gravel exploring. The G310 fitted the bill really well. Up here in Scotland, greenlaning is illegal but there are some friendly enough land-owners and forest trails around. I'll admit to enjoying riding this thing every bit as much a the R1200GS (which I sold) as I know I can pick this one up myself and if the worst happened, I could have three for less than a new R1250. I use a bigger bike for road tours but in truth, if you pack it right, the G310 will do pretty much anything you need. Enjoy and look forward to hearing some suitably adventuresome tales.

310gs

Agree with that regarding packing-- I carried as much on the 310 as the 1200 and enjoyed riding it as much. You have to work at it but it's a great little bike.

Somewhere in Switzerland....

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_094551.jpg
    IMG_20200925_094551.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 731
These look alright for a bit of fun. I understand they are very economical too is that right?

A friend of mine got one from the BMW auctions for £1500 - it was only a few months old. Not a bad buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

80-90 mpg, loaded up as in the picture, without trying
I think it may have dipped into the high 70's on the long motorway blast back to the ferry. Scandalous.

Those cast wheels can take some serious hammer and certainly not worth the cost of replacing with Rally Raid stuff. The 'upgraded' front spring from RR wasn't a deal better than the soft OEM one.
If I had another of these I would be getting the front end sorted with some decent firm suspension because it hasn't got a massive amount of travel, before wasting cash on exhausts, wheels etc.
The Tractive rear unit was a decent bit of kit. One level up from standard spring weight. Still had some preload adjustment remaining for the luggage in that picture and me at 95kg suited and booted.

Can’t remember what it was called but it was the the next stiffest spring above standard, 130nm I think.

Your bike looks well loaded there. Have been around Europe on biking holidays for ten years on Triumph 1050Sprint ST, CBR600FW, and a Aprillia Tuono 1000r. This just goes to show you do not need big horsepower to tour any distance.Always used a dry bag on the back , a kriega rucksack for the valuables, and a small tank bag. No camping gear, and B&B's for an old persons damaged back.

Having the Annals Capras fitted in the morning . Next thing is to try them out . Cheers

Hi All , Has been a while since I last posted here.
Have tried out the Anlas Capras twice now, and really pleased with their performance both on ,and off road. A little bit of scrubbing in, and they give excellent grip whilst being smooth running on tarmac. On the muddy slippery lanes they skip about a bit (probably the high pressures not helping), but give grip when needed in all situations so far. Will be trying them at lower pressures to see if grip improves. A trip to Wales to try them on rocky ground will be on the cards later in the year.
Have looked at exhausts, and decided to go with the dominator, high level, hard decibel killer insert. Came from Poland. Turned up in days even though they gave an extended delivery date.Paid the vat to I R only extra was £12 from fedex.Not the quietest of exhausts, but no where near my Aprillia with termignonis.Well put together, and out of the way. This also meant I could remove the footrest, exhaust hanger framework.
The original mirrors are not any good for off road as they catch on branches, and move out of alignment so have invested in a double take adventure item.
The next upgrade will be to the suspension as the forks, and shock bottom out easily. Even when riding at a slow pace.
As mentioned by others the rear brake is weak, and my boots do not give enough to reach the pedal where it is situated. I have added apiece of 18mm plywood fitted to the top of the lever , and found this works for reach.This will be a permanent fix when i have time to get an raised pad welded on.Riding off road down steep lose hills requires a good rear brake because a strong rear brake helps you modulate the power applied.Most modern bikes have phenomenal front brakes which if you just grabbed a handful would have you flying over the bars, but most people do not do that because they learn to modulate the pressure needed. My wife's cousin has written off three bikes doing just that. Panic braking into corners.Luckily he has not had any serious injuries.
Other than that the bike is what I expected, a very cheap flawed bike that only needed a few upgrades to get what I want. A lowish seat height , cheap to run, off road toy.
Thats enough of me prattling on . Hope to get some pictures up on the site if I ever learn how. Cheers

well with mods done look forward to seeing you out local , nice to see a 310 being abused and tested . did you ride on hypit ride out !

Hi Halfpint, Rode one of the routes we made up .There is the Braintree route around Pleshey, Dunmow,Stebbing, Great Sayling airfield. The next one to have a go on is the Newport loop which as the name suggests runs out to Newport. In my ignorance what is the hypit ride out?
Although we ended the ride in Sible Hedingham at the fish, and chip shop i do believe there are more lanes to the north of Hedingham we have not tried yet.
When the suspension is upgraded will try out Thetford as that is a nice long day. Will have to meet up at some point . Cheers

Have looked at exhausts, and decided to go with the dominator, high level, hard decibel killer insert. Came from Poland. Turned up in days even though they gave an extended delivery date.Paid the vat to I R only extra was £12 from fedex.Not the quietest of exhausts, but no where near my Aprillia with termignonis.Well put together, and out of the way. This also meant I could remove the footrest, exhaust hanger framework.

I looked at those last year & quite fancied them. Bike’s stuck in the shed (it would appear the brake recall hasn’t been done !) awaiting some work on it. Maybe when i get that done I’ll contact Dominator again...
Great to hear some positive feedback :thumb

Hi GCarpe I live round the corner to your chip shop stop in Castle Hedingham. Before you bought the 310 did you consider the Honda CRF 250/300?

well I meet up for a ride out ,only in sudbury often out on the lanes around the suffolk essex border . if you fancy a ride out ?

Back
Top Bottom