F900XR TE

DEAD Battery

Just getting F900 XR TE ready for the road after winter lay up. Hit the starter & nothing & the screen showed various faults. Oxford Optimizer showed 14;4 V. It had been on charge for several months. Called BMW Assist who arrived at my home in 30 mins (impressive). Seems the battery charger was at fault giving false readings. The man in the van recommended getting a CTEK XS charger compatible with AGM batteries. Just ordered one off Amazon £36:99. The man in the van took my battery to charge overnight & will be back tomorrow with it or a new battery. Hope that sorts it. Morale of the story, get the correct charger.

XR 900

Had a test ride on one last sat.
Thoughts versus a 1250 GS.

Good points.
Light weight
BMW quality
Low seat height
Nice dash
Good fuel consumption
Engine good

Bad points

Too much fork dive
Seat to hard
Wind blast with Small screen
Suspension / ride quality
Small tank range

Cheers

Mine has gone back to the dealership in part exchange Oct 21 for a new GS Triple black. Too many issues on my bike so after 6 months in the dealership they gave me a good deal on the GS.
The issues were a new sump, new clutch and new fork lowers, liked the bike but couldn’t trust the build quality.

Mine has gone back to the dealership in part exchange Oct 21 for a new GS Triple black. Too many issues on my bike so after 6 months in the dealership they gave me a good deal on the GS.
The issues were a new sump, new clutch and new fork lowers, liked the bike but couldn’t trust the build quality.

So typical BMW build quality then.

Ive just bought one to use for work a TE 2021 model 21 plate its done 1500 miles and is mint
the bike sits lovely and feels really nice goes well, but has to be revved and feels very light and nimble handles well 17" wheels Michelin road 5 tyres

it was delivered on Thursday and I rode it around the block quickly and got it ready for the work ride Friday, from work i took the long country route home around 20 miles

I like the bike a lot but what I dont like is the engine noise, it sounds like a bag of spanners, the clutch is also really noisy it sounds like the clutch release bearing is shot !! its not but it sounds like it, the rattling from the engine makes my 1250GS sound like a silent turbine, I joined the XR forum and they all say they are very noisy as does the tech at my local dealers, its going in for its 1st annual service so we will see next Saturday
hopefully it wont detonate before then lol

im sure its ok as they all say, ive just never had an engine that sounds this rattly, although the rattle goes as soon as its revved, ive no idea to be honest but will report what they say

Rob

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 279
I guess you will not have it long then Rob!

I’m hoping it’s just me or a simple thing John to be honest as it truly is a lovely bike, plenty enough to use for work, went out early this morning did about 50 miles to see if it would quieten down or explode lol, it didn’t but it’s quite quick, wheelies no problem in dynamic pro, see 48degrees of lean angle so the handling is fine and would sit at 100 on a autobahn no problem at all, it does need reviving but it’s quite rewarding when you do, all in all it would do what I want it for no problem so would be a bit gutted if it’s fcuked especially after 1500 miles, I would have another one though, there is a known problem with the clutches but it’s not an issue to me it’s easily ridden around
All in all I like it, let’s see what they say next Saturday!!

Rob

Underpowered

If you want an XR get a 1000

I’ll let BMW sort it out,
Underpowered no it’s a 105 Bht bike that’s 7 more than a 1200 bandit and no one called them underpowered!! I’ve had 2 s1000xr’s one old shape one new, they are by far too much power for a 2 mile commute on 30mph roads if I need more power I’ll take out my custom turbo hayabusa
This was bought purely as a work horse and for that it’s got enough power
Rob

I’ll let BMW sort it out,
Underpowered no it’s a 105 Bht bike that’s 7 more than a 1200 bandit and no one called them underpowered!

Ah that's just buyers remorse from not getting the 1000.

Ah that's just buyers remorse from not getting the 1000.

LOL no honestly if I had wanted another 1000XR I would have bought one, in all seriousness I was going to buy a NC750X for the daily but was not going to wait till November /December for one, but then i looked at the bhp vs weight and the baby XR clatterbox looked the better option !!

Back
Top Bottom