Advice please...

Japseroony

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

So having been a GS/GSA owner for many years off and on, I have just bought a Scrambler that I take delivery of sometime next month - its a new bike but a 2020MY.

Looking to add some bits and wondering about a mudsling/rear wheel cover and also a front fender extender - any advice please chaps at to what to go for?

Also, whats everyones experience of the Metzler Karoo3 tyres?

Anything else I should be adding at this early stage?

Cheers in advance.

I have a Puig rear hugger on mine and feel this the best option for preventing crud splatter over the rear shock and area behind the battery. It has good curvature across the tyre tread beyond the edge and mounts to brake caliper. Would also suggest the Cymarc crud catcher plate at front of engine. Unit garage rear rack could be useful and bar risers mean less weight on the wrists.

i fitted this,i bought it of a member on here and i think its brilliant ,its of the earlier r1200gs hexhead,plus you need the little fitting kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_084703.jpg
    IMG_20210226_084703.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 394
I have a Puig rear hugger on mine and feel this the best option for preventing crud splatter over the rear shock and area behind the battery. It has good curvature across the tyre tread beyond the edge and mounts to brake caliper. Would also suggest the Cymarc crud catcher plate at front of engine. Unit garage rear rack could be useful and bar risers mean less weight on the wrists.

I'm torn between the Puig, Wunderlich or Mudsling offerings but think the Puig to possibly be the best option - just a quick question, do you have to remove the dog catcher thing at the back of the rear wheel or can that stay on?

I see Wunderlich also do a rear rack and I have been using the Cymarc stuff for years but do you need a feneder extender as well?

I have one word for the Metzler Karoo 3 tyres and that is 'scary' :yikes

I had them on my R-Nine T Scrambler from new

You can tip them in to a corner fine then all of a sudden they drop over like falling off a bloody cliff. Not a nice feeling :blast

Had no such issues to TKC80's which IMO are a much better tyre :thumby:

Belt and braces - GS mud catcher and Puig:

At the front Pyramid (I think) fender extender and crud catcher:

See how you get on but Wilbers rear shock (or similar) is the best thing you can do to a Scrambler :)

Belt and braces - GS mud catcher and Puig:
See how you get on but Wilbers rear shock (or similar) is the best thing you can do to a Scrambler :)

What bike is that please as I see you have the twin clocks?

Also, what make is the screen please?

Looking for bits to fit during lockdown once the bike ke arrives next week or the week after :thumb

It's just a Scrambler with the optional Ali tank.

BMW will sell you the additional rev counter - got mine second hand off a mate.

Screen is made by Dart.

Bike is still not here but the parts list is mounting lol - so far got the following;

Dart Screen - light tint
Puig Hugger
OEM Revcounter and fittings - complete kit that hopefully is not too difficult to fit

Still working on a rear rack, Cymarc engine guard, sump protector & oil cooler cover and fender extender!

Its getting expensive and the bike is not even at the dealers let alone with me lol.

Oil cooler cover IMO not really needed as fender extender stops crap going as high as the cooler.

Rev Counter fairly easy to fit and is plug and play - loads of info over on the R Nine T forum.

I have one word for the Metzler Karoo 3 tyres and that is 'scary' :yikes

I had them on my R-Nine T Scrambler from new

You can tip them in to a corner fine then all of a sudden they drop over like falling off a bloody cliff. Not a nice feeling :blast

Had no such issues to TKC80's which IMO are a much better tyre :thumby:

I actually like that split second uncertainty, I have some road tyres going on mine next...I shall see just how it handles then and then it will be sold.

Well, she arrived and I have added a few bits as can be seen - rev counter, fender extender, Puig Hugger, Dart Screen and Cymarc engine guard all sorted, just thinking of some lower foot pegs now as finding it a bit cramped compared to the GSA :eek:

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 109
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 101
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 101
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 100
  • bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 101
Great looking bike, you'll love it. Had a NineT in the garage now since 2016 and love mine (Urban). If you want lower footpegs the combination of the Wunderlich lower footage kit along with a set of Fastaways works well. Combine that with the Unit Garage comfort bars and it's perfect...

Well, she arrived and I have added a few bits as can be seen - rev counter, fender extender, Puig Hugger, Dart Screen and Cymarc engine guard all sorted, just thinking of some lower foot pegs now as finding it a bit cramped compared to the GSA :eek:

You also have the lower standard seat - BMW also do a high seat which would help and means you can move around more easily as it is not stepped.

Back
Top Bottom