XLV 750R

Looks nice, but doesn't the transmission have some common failure and no spare parts? Maybe I'm thinking of another Honda?

These were popular in Oz when I was out there in the 80s - although I had an XT500 over there.

When I got back I sourced one (they were imports) as a poor man’s GS and stepping stone to said GS.
At the time I liked the look and shaft drive - it was, however, a dog.
I never got to the bottom of the problem but it would loose power for long periods. I took it to several mechanics and Honda dealers to no avail. After I limped back from Galicia hoping the drunk truckers wouldn’t take me out I got rid.

I sold it to a South African who planned to ride it home, I told him about the problems but he didn’t seem worried - apparently they were popular in SA as well as Oz.

I hope he made it :eek:

I never got to the bottom of the problem but it would loose power for long periods. I took it to several mechanics and Honda dealers to no avail.

They had an over clever and over complicated twin ignition circuit.
Not just twin plugged, but two separate systems for the twin plug heads, and the stators used to overheat.

Not just twin plugged, but two separate systems for the twin plug heads, and the stators used to overheat.

Thanks for that. Took it to a Honda dealer here and in France and neither could fix the fault but both said it was probably electrical. Felt like it was running on one cylinder - so I think you’ve cleared that up
:beerjug:

Honda over complicate things and fuck up non-shocker :D

I like the colour scheme of the bike but the rest of it was miles behind the Yamaha XT600 Tenere (available at the same time) when it came to actually being capable of doing what it was made to look as if it could do.

Honda over complicate things and fuck up non-shocker :D

I like the colour scheme of the bike but the rest of it was miles behind the Yamaha XT600 Tenere (available at the same time) when it came to actually being capable of doing what it was made to look as if it could do.

Yep, it was the look and the shaft drive for me. I’d always wanted an R80gs but couldn’t afford one.
I’d had an XL600 and XT500 but I like agricultural so this drew me in. Still by the time I’d bought and sold it the 1100gs had come out so.........

Had an early 650 before the 750 was born and the iconic 750 in 1990. They did everything well inc 2 up, throw overs and off to Spain. Who needs 140bhp lol.

Agreed. :thumb

I can't fault the lines of them, from any angle.
What a shame the 750 didn't evolve into a 1000cc, 1100cc or even a 1200cc, with pretty much the same looks.

Why, surely 750 is the perfect size for what it should be, an adventure bike.

An extra 250cc of fresh air doesn't weigh very much. :D

Had an early 650 before the 750 was born and the iconic 750 in 1990. They did everything well inc 2 up, throw overs and off to Spain. Who needs 140bhp lol.

Are you getting confused with the XRV? - a different bike.

Back
Top Bottom