XLV 750R

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Pop by my local independent and he had this beauty in for a bit of fixing...

Attachments

• 34373E72-2CD8-40D1-8B2F-8A82E8195D8F.jpg
    34373E72-2CD8-40D1-8B2F-8A82E8195D8F.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 633
  • B50392E9-7A52-4E0C-AE80-1FE99589334F.jpg
    B50392E9-7A52-4E0C-AE80-1FE99589334F.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 548
  • ED0C9EAB-0B0A-4A17-9A7C-9B7576B5BCF4.jpg
    ED0C9EAB-0B0A-4A17-9A7C-9B7576B5BCF4.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 554
I used to own one.
I bought it off UKGSer Garfield in Ireland, and Henry Mawson drove a van, with me with my smashed leg in plaster, to Holyhead so we could get the HSS over to collect it, and back, in a very long and tiring day.
Beautiful looking, sounding and riding bike.
Mine was the same colour scheme too...it's the first model, RD01.
The later ones had black engines and were usually painted black with blue or dark red insert panels.
Sadly, mine befell the problem the early ones in particular were known for...dodgy gearboxes...and it locked solid in second gear.
Most engine parts and gaskets are no longer available, so I sold it at a loss.
One of the MCN journos ended up with it as a project fixer upper, but I don't think he ever finished it.

I used to own one.
I bought it off UKGSer Garfield in Ireland, and Henry Mawson drove a van, with me with my smashed leg in plaster, to Holyhead so we could get the HSS over to collect it, and back, in a very long and tiring day.
Beautiful looking, sounding and riding bike.
Mine was the same colour scheme too...it's the first model, RD01.
The later ones had black engines and were usually painted black with blue or dark red insert panels.
Sadly, mine befell the problem the early ones in particular were known for...dodgy gearboxes...and it locked solid in second gear.
Most engine parts and gaskets are no longer available, so I sold it at a loss.
One of the MCN journos ended up with it as a project fixer upper, but I don't think he ever finished it.

I remember seeing yours when I popped round once about 15yrs ago...doesn’t time fly.

Think Honda really got the right look with these bikes. Like them a lot.

Agreed. :thumb

I can't fault the lines of them, from any angle.
What a shame the 750 didn't evolve into a 1000cc, 1100cc or even a 1200cc, with pretty much the same looks.
It also seems weird that the Transalp and Africa Twin (and Varedero) were chain drive, when the shaft on the XLV was so neat and unobtrusive.
Especially when the Transalp derived from the VT500 shafty, and the Africa Twin came after the XLV anyway.

Jeez, have you seen the XLV prices on ebay lately?
Mine was £1200 if I remember correctly, and I sold it for £600. :eek

Each to their own and yes I do no understand the caché these bikes appear to have but sorry, it’s nil points from this heathen, I just don’t get them at all.

Andres

Why, surely 750 is the perfect size for what it should be, an adventure bike.

Take the trendy categorization away...don't just think of "adventure" as off roading.
Apply the fact that the vast majority are/were used as long distance road bikes (much like most of your "adventure" bikes).
Then you'll get "why"...good as the 750 was, a litre or more would have made it a sublime travelling bike.

Each to their own and yes I do no understand the cashé these bikes appear to have but sorry, it’s nil points from this heathen, I just don’t get them at all.

Andres

Agreed, the attraction is the colour scheme tugging some heart strings....the AT does the same and even ktm are not daft as shown with the new 1290. ;)

I like the look from a nostalgic point of view but the red engine and hubs spoil it for me.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Each to their own and yes I do no understand the cashé these bikes appear to have but sorry, it’s nil points from this heathen, I just don’t get them at all.

Andres

I'm trying soooo hard not to mention it.....:D :augie

nice enough looking bikes to look at but the 600 transalp is better in almost everyway. parts are extremely hard to find ,engines had problems and they weigh a ton.

650 africa twin is the coolest by a mile imho

Take the trendy categorization away...don't just think of "adventure" as off roading.
Apply the fact that the vast majority are/were used as long distance road bikes (much like most of your "adventure" bikes).
Then you'll get "why"...good as the 750 was, a litre or more would have made it a sublime travelling bike.

This is why I think the V85tt deserves to do well , with the shaft drive it’s quite a similar bike , and although many may say it’s lovely as it is a true 100bhp would really make it very good indeed .

They do look good but any inline V twin with shaft drive is asking for transmission problems, IMHO

Inline V twin........ chain drive
Transverse V twin.......... shaft drive

Each to their own and yes I do no understand the caché these bikes appear to have but sorry, it’s nil points from this heathen, I just don’t get them at all.

Andres

Me too
An abomination I reckon
Neither use nor ornament
Glad it died a death and was consigned to the Honda dustbin
Not their finest bike

Well i like it,

The frame reminds me of my first NSR. and the engine of my baby V

I had a mispent youth riding around an old army range on a multitude of bike that were available at the time, the XL250 was a particular favorite

so It's a thumbs up from me,

However i suspect as with a lot of Honda's of that time, a lot of shiny farkles blinds you to the mechanical gremlins

Its missing some cosmeticary around the tank top, too

I really like it. I had an early Africa Twin, and to me this is all that and more.

I like the colours, the lines and the shaft drive.

Sounds like it’s a marmite bike.

Back
Top Bottom