Classic Bike Values - Will the bubble burst ?

Then there's the definition of 'classic': as it left the factory or re-engineered using modern technology to make it everyday usable - do you want to look at it and smile or ride it somewhere?

Read a Classic Bikes article by a guy who had an open cheque restoration done on a T160, 3 pages dedicated to the 'as per the factory spec rebuild' then the last para with the owner becoming disenchanted as all the original short comings of the faithfully restored classic came to life. Having had a T160 new in 1976 I could sadly predict the outcome: the inconvenience of a thirsty bike with a small fuel tank, a clutch cable that couldn't handle the clutch (need for a left hand that could crack walnuts unaided), clutch prone to slip, starter motor unreliable, started to smoke on middle cylinder within 1000mi, spokes on rear wheel unable to hold tension, carbs going out of sync because they all had their own stretchy bit of cable etc. Oh how I laughed. I replaced my T160 with a Honda 550 Four K3 which suffered a filament failure in 36,000mi ~ and nothing else.

Want to smile and ride round Europe, then choose carefully or be prepared to own a stable of bikes!

I guess there will always be a demand for the 'right classic' so may be there will always be some form of bubble!

Perhaps he should have used a T150v....faultless :)

Attachments

• Scan10026.jpg
    Scan10026.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 323
I've got an A7 Shooting Star that has been in my parent's garage since I got it in 2009 and has not been used that much. It had a full SRM rebuild, just before I 'bought' it from my brother-in-law, but sill need kicking over, and I am now wondering whether I should keep it or sell it... The garage at my house is only big enough for my two current bikes.

The only downside to the bike is a dented fuel tank after I ran out of road and rear ended a car in 2010, fully rebuilt and passed several MoTs, but the replacement front mudguard still needs painting!

Post up some pictures, and a rough idea how much you want for it.....please

Perhaps he should have used a T150v....faultless :)

I was going to say; i seem to remember you posting about your love for a T150; along with jaunts abroad camping and such;; how big was the difference between the T150 and the T160 with reguards to reliability Tim?

I sometimes fantasise about modernising (SRM oil pump, multigrade oil and filter, Electronic ignition etc.) my A10 to make it reliable enough to take it on a long trip, then I see sense!

The only major change I keep promising myself I’ll make to my Norton is fitting an electric boot because a weekend of messing with the bike has old ankle injuries flaring up to remind me that I’m no longer getting old, I’ve got old and healing no longer takes place.

My bike is easy to start even with my dodgy knees, I always try to park up on a hill when out.

I was going to say; i seem to remember you posting about your love for a T150; along with jaunts abroad camping and such;; how big was the difference between the T150 and the T160 with reguards to reliability Tim?

Impossible for me to make that call since I did make quite a few modifications.
One thing I'd heard was premature valve guide wear which mushroom headed tappet adjusters helped with. Then I tried using the thinnest wipe of engineers blue on the adjuster and after turning the engine over I noticed it made contact with a bias to one side if the valve stem. I cure that by simply taking a few thou off the bottom of the
pushrods!
The only failure was after fitting a solid state rectifier which melted in France but that was my fault for not mounting it on a heat sink. Simply fitted the original again and was on my way.

Great bike which I loved .... but then the 1150 came on the scene which naturally was an eye opener. One bike which really was mine and shouldn't have sold!

Impossible for me to make that call since I did make quite a few modifications.
One thing I'd heard was premature valve guide wear which mushroom headed tappet adjusters helped with. Then I tried using the thinnest wipe of engineers blue on the adjuster and after turning the engine over I noticed it made contact with a bias to one side if the valve stem. I cure that by simply taking a few thou off the bottom of the
pushrods!
The only failure was after fitting a solid state rectifier which melted in France but that was my fault for not mounting it on a heat sink. Simply fitted the original again and was on my way.

Great bike which I loved .... but then the 1150 came on the scene which naturally was an eye opener. One bike which really was mine and shouldn't have sold!

Cheers Tim; i always prefered the lines of the T150 to the T160 to be honest ; the Alister lawrie trident; and the metal Malarky 3 brothers creation always raise a hard on; i have a photo somewhere taken on the Douglas sea front at the 78 TT with the Lawrie bike; just awesome; i will have to get my pa to have a rumage around to try and find it.:beerjug:

Cheers Tim; i always prefered the lines of the T150 to the T160 to be honest ; the Alister lawrie trident; and the metal Malarky 3 brothers creation always raise a hard on; i have a photo somewhere taken on the Douglas sea front at the 78 TT with the Lawrie bike; just awesome; i will have to get my pa to have a rumage around to try and find it.:beerjug:

You mean here :)

Attachments

• Scan10-01.jpg
    Scan10-01.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 611
Another year on the IoM also with a T160 tank I modified to fit.

Attachments

• Scan10041-01.jpg
    Scan10041-01.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 636
I got a mounting lug welded and machined onto the fork leg to fit twin discs using a Morris 1000 4 way union for brake pipes and light :D

Made my own rear sets which actually put the footrests where they should have been, shorten the brake lever and reversed the rh gear lever. Just had to remember it it was 'one up'!

Attachments

• Scan10047-01.jpg
    Scan10047-01.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 618
You mean here :)

Another year on the IoM also with a T160 tank I modified to fit.

I got a mounting lug welded and machined onto the fork leg to fit twin discs using a Morris 1000 4 way union for brake pipes and light :D

Made my own rear sets which actually put the footrests where they should have been, shorten the brake lever and reversed the rh gear lever. Just had to remember it it was 'one up'!

Great stuff Tim; and pea shooters; hard to believe this is the second year without a TT;:tears:tears; we've been sat on that grass a few times overlooking the harbour a few times after collecting our clip on radios from the radio station; :D

Great stuff Tim; and pea shooters; hard to believe this is the second year without a TT;:tears:tears; we've been sat on that grass a few times overlooking the harbour a few times after collecting our clip on radios from the radio station; :D

Yes same spot.
I always thought the standard pipes looked too long and didn't quite sound right and you're right, pea shooters.

Then there's the definition of 'classic': as it left the factory or re-engineered using modern technology to make it everyday usable - do you want to look at it and smile or ride it somewhere?

Read a Classic Bikes article by a guy who had an open cheque restoration done on a T160, 3 pages dedicated to the 'as per the factory spec rebuild' then the last para with the owner becoming disenchanted as all the original short comings of the faithfully restored classic came to life. Having had a T160 new in 1976 I could sadly predict the outcome: the inconvenience of a thirsty bike with a small fuel tank, a clutch cable that couldn't handle the clutch (need for a left hand that could crack walnuts unaided), clutch prone to slip, starter motor unreliable, started to smoke on middle cylinder within 1000mi, spokes on rear wheel unable to hold tension, carbs going out of sync because they all had their own stretchy bit of cable etc. Oh how I laughed. I replaced my T160 with a Honda 550 Four K3 which suffered a filament failure in 36,000mi ~ and nothing else.

Want to smile and ride round Europe, then choose carefully or be prepared to own a stable of bikes!

I guess there will always be a demand for the 'right classic' so may be there will always be some form of bubble!

If you want reliable get an older BMW, very pretty and fun to ride

Attachments

• 70ADFF7C-7F93-47FD-AC11-D3DEBE37CD29.jpeg
    70ADFF7C-7F93-47FD-AC11-D3DEBE37CD29.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 518

This one?

2.jpg

This one?

2.jpg

Fabulous bike,I'm sure I took a photo of that but can't remember where.I wonder if it's still around somewhere?

:okay Be Seeing You

Edit:it was on the Isle of Man more than once so I must've seen it there....good ol' Google

700 yam behind?

Yep :thumb I can't remember the story as to why the engine was removed, it had either been lent to someone else or it had blown up and they were awaiting a new motor being shipped over.

Also the Yamaha frame is very similar to a Rob North, which Alastair Laurie also based his frame on. I think there's a picture somewhere of him picking up one of his Tridents, a complete bike, lifting both wheels of the ground!

More pictures and info here :- https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/laurie-trident.13065/

Also the Yamaha frame is very similar to a Rob North, which Alastair Laurie also based his frame on. I think there's a picture somewhere of him picking up one of his Tridents, a complete bike, lifting both wheels of the ground!

I think I've seen that. I've worked with a bloke who had a Rob North Trident on the road, he was constantly working on adding lightness.

Back
Top Bottom