Replacement Alternator 09 GSA

Bedlam

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a replacement or refurbed alternator?

Motorworks, £275.00p

Try and replace it like for like, i.e Denso or Bosch as the connections are slightly different.

Roger.

I got a used one from Sherlocks. It was like new. It’s just a case of browsing or phoning all the likely sources. Go on a waiting list if they haven’t got one in stock. You won’t wait too long. That’s one of the benefits of a popular bike, there’s loads of them do loads of used spares.

Edit, also try your local auto electrical places. The alternators can be refurbished if the can get the parts.

Thanks, haven’t removed it yet but seized solid so guessing it’s a Denso having looked at advice on here. Will strip it out & phone around.

Had a 2007 bike in today that’s been in a barn for 3 years, it’s got 100k+miles and wouldn’t turn over - seized alternator. Second one in three weeks, I expect I’ll be seeing a few more now bikes are being brought out of hibernation after being put away after being washed and left for months.. never happens on 1150 models, just the 1200.

Just checked on my recently deceased pile of alternators, and co-incidentally all Denso. And i've not yet taken the one out of the bike currently in the workshop.

I'm trying to think if the box full i sold to the scrap man last year were all Denso, or if there were any Bosch amongst them.... and do you know what, i don't think there were.

So perhaps the quality has dropped, made to a price.

So think twice if you've a 1200 with a denso alternator, don't wash it and put it away in the garage. Wash it and then ride it to thoroughly dry out the alternator,which sits directly in line with any water thrown up or if the bike is jet washed.

Mine went the same way about 4 years ago. A 09 which was used every day through out the year. It started squeeking on start up so I took a look and found the alternator split down the casing.

After seeing the cost of a replacement I had a look on fleabay and found one in Utah. $120 and customs wanted £20. When it arrived it looked like new, I suppose they dont get much rain there.

Sound advice Steptoe I will get mine stripped out & replaced this weekend before the spring rush!

Just bought one off ebay, £78 delivered from Italy. Took 3 weeks to arrive, but in lovely condition (never seen a salty UK winter road) and working perfectly.

No nice ones in the UK when I was looking. Lots on the USA ebay, not badly priced but steep delivery charges:rob

And yes, another Denso!

I'm surprised no clever bod has worked out a way to weld the feckers back together

Or is it some obscure alloy blend which dosent take to welding

I'm surprised no clever bod has worked out a way to weld the feckers back together

Or is it some obscure alloy blend which dosent take to welding

I would guess that something inside had corroded enough to expand and burst the outer case. I don't think a simple weld will fix these do you?

The welding would not be a problem, it seems that the corrosion expands the windings.
When the tank is off I have always given the whole area around the top of the engine a good misting of ACF50 ( using a cheap machine mart touch up gun) It does not look pretty but it stops any corrosion.

I would guess that something inside had corroded enough to expand and burst the outer case. I don't think a simple weld will fix these do you?

I profess to know very little about the intricacies of welding, hence the question but thinking about it your probably right

Well, the owner paid out £740 for a new Denso alternator..... I've locked it in my safe until i'm ready to fit it.

Can you spot the new part ?

Attachments

• F5F9F598-734B-4A0F-912B-7B4AE3161711.jpg
    F5F9F598-734B-4A0F-912B-7B4AE3161711.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 490
  • D846862D-EDC2-4519-ACF7-2292F1B8C2BE.jpg
    D846862D-EDC2-4519-ACF7-2292F1B8C2BE.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 484
Forgive my ignorance Steppers but does it have any kind of cover above the new shiny part ( other than the tank)

I did take the tank off my last 1200 but can’t recall.

Forgive my ignorance Steppers but does it have any kind of cover above the new shiny part ( other than the tank)

I did take the tank off my last 1200 but can’t recall.

No cover above. the engine management ECU sits above the alternator, neatly angled to deflect any crap coming under the front of the tank straight onto the alternator :D.
There's a plastic shroud at the front but it does very little to stop anything from getting at the alternator, it's purely cosmetic.

Cheers, seems a missed opportunity to give it at least some minimal,protection.
Still avoided any symptoms on my 05 for the ten years and 48k miles. I did try to avoid putting it away wet though

No cover above. the engine management ECU sits above the alternator, neatly angled to deflect any crap coming under the front of the tank straight onto the alternator :D.
There's a plastic shroud at the front but it does very little to stop anything from getting at the alternator, it's purely cosmetic.
750 quid. Jesus.

Looks like open heart surgery seeing that pic . I'm guessing it's not a good idea to cover it as presumably it needs some air flow over it? Though compared to a car, it must get plenty??! As mentioned above, I get ACF50 in there twice a year. At that price, I'm really hoping it works!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom