650 motor advice

desmo2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks , I'm not new to Airheads but know nothing about the 650 singles . I'm thinking of replacing my ageing everyday ride which is a Honda SLR 650 .
I quite like the look of the 650 xcountry due to it's lack of general plastics . I realise these are pretty scarce so it might not ever happen but I'd like some advice on the 650 motors .
I read various reports of gearbox issues , oil consumption etc etc , but what's the real truth ?
Many thanks for any info given :)

I’ve got a collection of five G650X’s and not had any issues with gearboxes or oil consumption. The Rotax engine is a well proven and reliable unit as long as it’s serviced regularly . I would highly recommend them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not aware of anything re oil consumption.

Gearbox generally fine, though there was a batch build with a thrust washer missing. Made a quiet knock/tap when on its sidestand but didn't affect functionality. You may be referring to the clutch side cover?

There's another now on ebay, so a choice of 2 at the moment.

I've got a similar number to John, and wouldn't hesitate for the bike it is

Hopefully I'll be back 8n the fold next weekend:thumb , they are addictive.

Thanks folks . Aberdeen isn't a problem for me as live in Queensferry .
I'm sorely tempted :)

Oh you do, do you...? It says you're in Cheesetown up there. I lived in SQ for far too long.

If you want to see one in the metal first, I'm only 1/2 an hour up the road, in Fife.

Hi I was in your boat and waited for one to come up which it did, patience.............but you have to act quickly.

I'm delighted with the machine and the help and assistance from the previous owner and the expertise of a well known person on this group. In fact if you do get one then the support on here is superb.

It may be worth joining the FB 650 x country group as well, if your keen and noting your wish to won one.

Good luck

Ok , I've been on the phone to Shetland . Bike has absolutely no paperwork / sevice history or handbooks . Nothing to verify mileage either . Current owner hasn't had it long but can't see any faults with it .
What do you folks think ?
He also reckons there's another 4 on the island !

Could chase up the mot history via Gov mot site..assuming you have the reg..
Seems strange there is no paperwork going by the condition it's in..
4 on the island..?..
If he has the logbook,ask for the previous owners details...
If all legit,he should hopfully furnish you with the info...

Contact Sungaets of this Parish. He is in Shetland and according to the thread titled wanted Xcountry, he can vouch for the bike and the previous owner.
Its worth a pm.

I know the previous owner, she wanted to use it after passing her test, which she never did so the bike sat for awhile. The mileage of 7000 i would say is the true mileage, bike was very clean when I last saw it. There are now two other 07 xcountry up here, my one and a friend of mine. My wife used to have an 09 one which she traded in for a 700 Yamaha Tenere at Mitchell’s motorcycles of Inverness, it did not sit there for long. I don’t think you would get a bad bike buying it from Damien.

I've had an xCo for about 10 years and put about 40,000 miles on it, total mileage is 45,000. Its taken me across the Sahara 4 times and to Iran and back. Never missed a beat and no major replacements. I was worried about how many more miles I could get out of this engine, so bought a second one last year with 20,000 miles and with an xTank(an auxiliary 6.5L tank that feeds into the 9L main tank) this increases the range significantly. I already have an xTank on my original bike. My plan was to make the new bike the main bike but after more checking it seems 45k miles is not an issue for these rota engines, so I'm doing up the old bike and will keep it.

These bikes do most things well, they are great for tearing around minor roads and corner like on rails, they are light and easy to push around, they are not perfect on motorways but I got down to Turkey in 4 days and changing the front sprocket by a notch helps. They are easy on fuel and when you stop at the fuel station in the middle of Mauritania and there's no petrol and the next garage is 150 miles away, it's a good bike to be on. I made a few changes, strengthened the rear subframe, put on a big bash plate with a tool box on the front, installed a steering damper, replaced the clutch cover and of course the xTank.
You won't go far wrong with one of these and my old one is a keeper.
70d2aea62ff5d76e2b255e3524b6b103.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Just got my new XC MOT'd today

Good luck with your potential purchase, sounds like your getting good local advice and contacts. I'm sure theres probably some documentation somewhere.

I've finished adding some bits to mine after my recent purchase, and had it MOT'd and taxed, so all legal now.

Picked it up today and had my first blast on it round the lanes. Solid bike and great round the bends. Loving it already.

Thanks to those on here who helped, very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210302_121650.jpg
    20210302_121650.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 20210302_121612.jpg
    20210302_121612.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 174
Nice looking bikes. As an ignoramous like myself what is the main difference between this model and the gs 650 please?

Back
Top Bottom