New E10 fuel + plastic tanks !!

My bike says e10 on the filler cap, so that's what I put in.

My bike says e10 on the filler cap, so that's what I put in.

I have not seen e10 (10% ethanol) fuel at the pumps yet. Roll out is due in September 2021.

I will stick with e5 (5%) for as long as I can.

Current thought is HDPE - High Density Polyethylene?

I think they are GRP. Take the filler cap cap off and you see white resin(?) Polyester or epoxy
As E10 has been in Europe for donkeys, I always used none-E.
When not available, E10, but always ran it as low as possible and then filled up with the good stuff.

They were made by Elkamet I think. Maybe they could tell you. elkamet

Could any of the GS PD Illuminati on this site, inform me definitively what the ‘Plastic’ tank is made from on my 1994 R100 GS PD; for research I’m doing in respect of this issue please.

Current thought is HDPE - High Density Polyethylene?

Any input appreciated :thumby:

R1100GS tanks, the big Touratech tanks are both Nylon based plastic and no issue, my safari tanks on my KTM 990 are polyethylene which certainly has issue with swelling due to vapor

When taking the tanks off I have to drain them, remove the fuel caps, and then I leave them out in the sun for 24 hours and they shrink back no problem.

shorthand way to check, if they are painted and the paint stays in place its fine, if when painted or sticker on the outside they start to bubble and peel then there is the issue the vapor is coming through the tank and lifting what is on the outside surface.

I think they are GRP. Take the filler cap cap off and you see white resin(?) Polyester or epoxy
When not available, E10, but always ran it as low as possible and then filled up with the good stuff.

Thank you for that info - I've just emailed Elkamet as I also have a 1994 GSPD. I do as you and avoid it like the plague when in Europe.

I have not seen e10 (10% ethanol) fuel at the pumps yet. Roll out is due in September 2021.

I will stick with e5 (5%) for as long as I can.

Plenty on the continent

Thank you for the replies Chaps, but alas nothing definitive, so, I guess a response from Elkamet will be the only way for sure.

I wait with bated breath..If it’s GRP we’re in the Shoit.

E10 is horrible stuff, I found this chart for E10..A and B is :okay

Attachments

• 245CB698-83E3-4FDB-8225-F38FCEB2BB93.jpg
    245CB698-83E3-4FDB-8225-F38FCEB2BB93.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 486
For now we can all use this if you happen to live or be passing through the chosen lands :rob

Attachments

• is esso synergy 99 ethanol free - Google Search.jpg
    is esso synergy 99 ethanol free - Google Search.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 415
:eek:I’ve stripped ethanol out for my pre65 and 70’s bikes with plastic and fibreglass tanks. It becomes a bit of a ball ache but obviously it does work.

Other option is buy fuel from your local airfield it’s zero ethanol, full fat including lead:eek::eek:

Funny I had my tank off today and I was wondering. I suspect GRP too but really not sure. Be good to know.

Elkamet.

I’ve just emailed them on this issue, now that I’ve noticed you can change the language on their contact page.

So, we’ll see..I’ll post any information I receive..:thumby:

I hope they like you more than me.

I emailed them (post No. 25) but I haven't received a reply yet.

I’m still waiting too, don’t think I’ll hold my breath, as they say..:confused:

So HNP do both poly and nylon so following this thread am I correct in my understanding that both are susceptible to E10 but not E5 or to the same degree and what therefore is the answer as in tank coating etc. Thanks.

BMW R100Gs PD.

The short story is, although I’ve had no contact from Elkamet on this subject, I’m now confident that the tanks they made for BMW are constructed from PA6..Eureka, I can now conduct further research, having established what the tank is made from, as they make containers for all sorts of commercial chemical containment.

Tanks for Acids are of completely different Polymers.

On that basis, as far as the hydrocarbons found in most Automotive applications the tank appears resistant, and safe for the impending increase in fuel to 10% Ethanol - E10.

PA6 is shown and widely accepted as resistant to Petroleum, Diesel, Kerosene, Turpentine, and all Oil products, but I struggled to find any data for the dreaded Ethanol, until today.

There are quite a few pages, most liquids are shown at 100% concentration, however, several are shown at lesser concentrations.

Ethyl Alcohol (which is Ethanol) is shown here at 40% and resistant; I therefore concur from this that its addition at 10% should be of no concern, as far as tank damage anyway.

Attachments

• 3141FD48-D4CA-4028-AB80-E697B60237F5.jpg
    3141FD48-D4CA-4028-AB80-E697B60237F5.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 343

Back
Top Bottom