LOCH TUMMEL/RANNOCH

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Since I bought the Guide to Scotland book Ive tried to build in some roads Ive never ridden before on day trips, I have to say some have been very disapointing, in fact I struggle to understand how the author could consider them motorcycling roads, B829 from Aberfoyle to Inversnaid a perfect example.

Looking at a run which includes going along north side of the 2 Lochs above and back via south side of Loch Rannoch ending up at Loch Tay, anyone familiar with this road, worth it or dont bother ?

Cheers

Since I bought the Guide to Scotland book Ive tried to build in some roads Ive never ridden before on day trips, I have to say some have been very disapointing, in fact I struggle to understand how the author could consider them motorcycling roads, B829 from Aberfoyle to Inversnaid a perfect example.

Looking at a run which includes going along north side of the 2 Lochs above and back via south side of Loch Rannoch ending up at Loch Tay, anyone familiar with this road, worth it or dont bother ?

Cheers

From memory the roads around Rannoch and Tumell are pretty good I cant remember which is which but the southern road along Ranoch from Tummel bridge is very nice

One of my absolute favourites to do, out to Rannoch Station tea room via Tummel Bridge and return via braes of Foss, although that may not be to everyone's liking but hey that's just me.

If you're returning to Loch Tay then you'll be going past Schiehallion towards Aberfeldy or Fearnan, again, IMO are great and you'll not have to do the Braes of Foss rd.

One of my absolute favourites to do, out to Rannoch Station tea room via Tummel Bridge and return via braes of Foss, although that may not be to everyone's liking but hey that's just me.

If you're returning to Loch Tay then you'll be going past Schiehallion towards Aberfeldy or Fearnan, again, IMO are great and you'll not have to do the Braes of Foss rd.

:thumb2:thumb2

Fairly narrow and not fast, but scenic. I would combine with the run up to Trinafour and the A9 when travelling northwards.

If you're doing that route I'd thoroughly recommend a you take a wee run up to Rannoch Station when you reach Bridge of Gaur.
If you're lucky the tea shop will be open at the station.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

If you're doing that route I'd thoroughly recommend a you take a wee run up to Rannoch Station when you reach Bridge of Gaur.
If you're lucky the tea shop will be open at the station.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Would that be the same tea shop that I may have mentioned in my post above ;)

Rannoch Station tea room is seasonal. Best check if it's going to be open as there's nowhere else to eat (other than back at Rannoch village) if you arrive hungry and it's shut. I find the tea room expensive so dont tend to bother eating there. The circular routes around Lochs Tummel, Rannoch and Tay are all nice. The single track parts are slow riding and bit gritty in places but they are all a lovely ride on a good day.

Also don't forget Ben Lawers and Glen Lyon, one of my favourite rides and Post Office tea room at Bridge of Balgie has the best carrot cake going.

Great road round that way, the loop around kinloch rannoch, coming back the south side you can take the road to fortingall, then lochearnheag A84 callander, then glesga

looks a great route

There is a sign at Bridge of Gaur telling you if the tea shop is open or not. Check out the tea room in Kinloch Rannoch, great stop off for refreshments. We live about 2 miles from the village, lots of nice routes as mentioned in previous posts.

Can you still take the wee back road from Killin around to Lochay Power station and onwards to Cashlie?
It was getting into some disrepair a few years back. Road sign at back of Killin used to say something about use it at your own risk or such like.

Cheers
watch out for logging trucks and arrogant wobblebox drivers. Nice enough route just to say that you’ve done it. On the way back, fork right at Kinloch Rannoch and take the road alongside Scheihallion :thumb

Can you still take the wee back road from Killin around to Lochay Power station and onwards to Cashlie?
It was getting into some disrepair a few years back. Road sign at back of Killin used to say something about use it at your own risk or such like.
Yes but it's in a horrific state.

Did this run to Rannoch tearoom on Sunday on my way to Aberdeen. Must say it was lovely in the nice weather, a bit of traffic but all willing to pull over for the bike. The tea room was lovely and yes a bit dear but the soup was divine. Met uo with a lot of BMW Z4 drivers and Harley riders as well. Great to see Ranch moor from the far side instead of Glencoe view. Thoroughly recommend even if it put around 2 hours onto my journey.

It's a nice run, good food and a wee rest at the tearoom always welcome
4b1f28b5d0e4d3bcec140d3f91c7fe52.jpg

I walked across Rannoch Moor yesterday as part of the West Highland Way.
Tyndrum to Kingshouse. The weather was kind but there was no tea room.

Kinlochleven tonight, finish in Fort William tomorrow all being well.

Back
Top Bottom