What quilt?

Flipfly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to get warmer than my shitty sleeping bag. Can’t do mummy bags, so it’s square bag or quilt (not sure I’ll get on with a foot box though.

I have an exped mega at 7.5 LXW mat, just need to decide on what to put on top.

without spending £500 on a custom made UBQ, what do the collective suggest?

I am a substantially built individual, so wide would probably be best, and I’m a side/front sleeper with occasional midnight tossing due to the wife not being present (no noisy fabrics :D).

Just find a cow at each camping location, kill and gut it and then sleep in the belly cavity. You should be fine. Plus there's steak for breakfast.

Tsk, Tsk; this is supposedly the vernacular for any self respecting :ukgser :adv: :camping

Some say Bear skin is best when solo! :D

However, IMHO I'd recommend the bare skin of a delightful lady for shared bodily warmth. :green gri

Attachments

• The Revenant.jpg
    The Revenant.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 458
However, here's a practical alternative if bears or bare skin is not readily available. :D

Summit Black Large Onesie 3 Season Sleeping Bag Suit
1 Year Warranty from Official Summit Stockist
Fast & FREE Delivery over £20
5 Star Rated Company Established in 2002
45 Day No Quibble Returns
£59.99 + FREE UK DELIVERY

https://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/summit-large-motion-sac-olive.html

PS; if you often toss in the night, this suit may not be suitable. :D

Attachments

• Sleeping bag suit.JPG
    Sleeping bag suit.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 446
I found a massive increase in comfort and warmth once I stopped sleeping on mats and started using a collapsible camping bed.
All I use is a cheap lightweight one that you pop wire legs into the long tubes...that, and my German army sleeping bag that's in the style of the one Oddjob showed, means I'm more snug than in my bed at home. :D :thumb

I found a massive increase in comfort and warmth once I stopped sleeping on mats when I left the scouts and realised that I was allowed to stay in hotels which have beds, baths and central heating.

Hope that helps :)

I found a massive increase in comfort and warmth once I stopped sleeping on mats when I left the scouts and realised that I was allowed to stay in hotels which have beds, baths and central heating.

:D :thumb

I'm with you on that for taking holidays ... Long ago gave up pissing about with the camping lark and living like a refugee whilst on holiday...I just meant for the winter rallies that I enjoy (paradoxical as it may be) or weekend shows where I'm on site for the duration. :D

However, here's a practical alternative if bears or bare skin is not readily available. :D

Summit Black Large Onesie 3 Season Sleeping Bag Suit
1 Year Warranty from Official Summit Stockist
Fast & FREE Delivery over £20
5 Star Rated Company Established in 2002
45 Day No Quibble Returns
£59.99 + FREE UK DELIVERY

https://www.sleepingbagsoutlet.co.uk/summit-large-motion-sac-olive.html

PS; if you often toss in the night, this suit may not be suitable. :D

Would'nt a freezer suit work?

Phil,
I've been using a Thermarest quilt for years and would never go back.
I use one of their fitted sheets on the airmat then over the top a down quilt, and if the temp is going down to zero I have another thin down comforter that I can throw over the top. Having multiple thin layers works best for me.

I found a massive increase in comfort and warmth once I stopped sleeping on mats and started using a collapsible camping bed.
All I use is a cheap lightweight one that you pop wire legs into the long tubes...that, and my German army sleeping bag that's in the style of the one Oddjob showed, means I'm more snug than in my bed at home. :D :thumb

:thumb2 the wire leg jobby is the way to go:D / JagBag makes a lot of difference in sleeping bag.

Phil,
I've been using a Thermarest quilt for years and would never go back.
I use one of their fitted sheets on the airmat then over the top a down quilt, and if the temp is going down to zero I have another thin down comforter that I can throw over the top. Having multiple thin layers works best for me.
+1 for Thermarest quilt, sheet and Exped down mats

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve been seriously looking at the Thermarest Chorus 20 quilt and then the Culumbus 400 down quilt popped up, looks fab, but they don’t show long and wide on their website but there is plenty of mention of them online....I’ve emailed them to see if they still do the wider option.

I’m not one for camping a lot, just the odd night here and there, but I am old enough now to deserve better than a shite inflatable that leaks and a £20 sleeping bag. If the weathers wet, I’m in a hotel room :D

It's a fair point but try getting a hotel/b&b at the drop of a hat in the Scottish Highlands or even Highland Perthshire come late Spring/Summer.

It's a fair point but try getting a hotel/b&b at the drop of a hat in the Scottish Highlands or even Highland Perthshire come late Spring/Summer.
Tis one of the reasons I got into camping ,, one used to be able to wander around Scotland ,- - then find a hotel late afternoon .
Almost impossible this last while ,, ( which is good for the hoteliers :okay) .
Sussed quite quickly ,,, what does for a weekend on the P at a bike rally was not going to do for a good few days away :D

I've got an original Thermarest Ventra Quilt, which I use with a Neo Air Mat and a fitted sheet. It got me through North America, Canada and Alaska on a summer trip, but isn't suited to cooler nights. I use a fleece blanket as well, but something with more Fill like the Chorus would be better. Downside of the Chorus would be the lack of shoulder width for a restless sleeper. Their Vela Quilts would be better suited and they also do a -6 version as well.

I have a 3 season snugpack that has not let me down. Is this for walk out camping, or camping once arrived via car? Synthetic, but long zips, baffle and durable. Packs big though. Down keeps it smaller. Thermarest Pro and a small dog keeps me warm!

Just reviving this thread. Has anyone out there used the Alpkit Cloud Nine quilt? https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-nine

It looks like what I might want/need, enough space to spread and pack reasonably small. It's pricy (to me) but thinking I only want to buy once!

Opinion sought :)

Back
Top Bottom