Insurance quotes

Mattwprice

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im looking at getting insurance prices for a new triple Black gs and am getting quotes of between £500-£950! A quote for my last 2019 1250gs for this year was at £236.

I'm wondering if it's because I am declaring all the mods like top box, engine bars and akro end can or is it just that its because its a new bike.

I have 6 years no claims. AIM membership and live just outside of Reading. Bike is garaged and only sd+p usage for sub 10k miles. I'm just the wrong side of the half century.

If anyone has any ideas or places to try they'd be much appreciated. I've tried b-moto, bikesure and compare the market.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,

Matt

Try Cornmarket im in IAM and they were the best cheapest and covered business sdp and IAM observing. They will want your IAM member numbet

No, it's the 1st year effect. Insurers really do not like new bikes as they have to buy a brand new one for the first 12 months if you destroy it or it gets pinched. After 12 months, they are only liable for the market value.

It's a bit silly really, as they do not penalise drivers of pretty average cars costing the same amount of money.

Im looking at getting insurance prices for a new triple Black gs and am getting quotes of between £500-£950! A quote for my last 2019 1250gs for this year was at £236.

I'm wondering if it's because I am declaring all the mods like top box, engine bars and akro end can or is it just that its because its a new bike.

I have 6 years no claims. AIM membership and live just outside of Reading. Bike is garaged and only sd+p usage for sub 10k miles. I'm just the wrong side of the half century.

If anyone has any ideas or places to try they'd be much appreciated. I've tried b-moto, bikesure and compare the market.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,

Matt

Mine is similar to your top end. Finding an insurer willing to quote was the first challenge.

new bike replacement

read the policy document I do not think all insurers do replacement bike in your is written off in 1st year, my apologies if i am incorrect. i am currently looking for insurance and have found this in a policy. I came across this in one policy regarding new bike replacement "• it has been registered for less than six months;" some do a year. So it is down to; you pay your money you takes your choice SOME more expensive policies cover more than the cheaper one s (not all). Then there is the excess I offered £100 voluntary contribution and all it did was reduce the premium by £10. Finally there is the add ons I have looked at the Cornmarket and used the cheaper quotes to compare with by the time I had added the extras on from the cheaper companies the price moved closer. The prime measure is how well they perform when you do have an accident. not how they sell the policy.

Try Cornmarket im in IAM and they were the best cheapest and covered business sdp and IAM observing. They will want your IAM member numbet

Cornmarket were in excess of a grand. Most insurers don't have the triple Black listed for the 1250 so are just putting down the TE gs model.

Cornmarket were in excess of a grand. Most insurers don't have the triple Black listed for the 1250 so are just putting down the TE gs model.

Due to a number of reasons my policy is more than double yours. But when I was about to buy a Rallye the price was over six fold - they're essentially the same bike in different clothes.

What I'm getting at is to be sure whoever is actually covering your bike accepts a TB as being the same as a TE - probably are, but...

My cheapest quote was with MCE. I went with BeMoto.

Hello All,
Whilst I have been a follower of this forum for many years, this is my first contribution.
I am in the process of arranging insurance for a new 1250GS Triple Black to be delivered later this month.
Reading this forum I have become aware of the "Garage Endorsement"
My first request for a quote was with Cornmarket. I asked about cover for a bike normally garaged which for example was being washed on the driveway and was stolen. The member of staff told me about the endorsement applicable but said I am sure you would be OK for such an example.

No way am I taking that as the truth when the wording of the endorsement clearly states you are not covered within 500m of your home address if the bike is stolen.

I then phoned Devitt who came out of Confused.com with a competitive quote. Again I started by asking about the "Garage Endorsement". The Rep did not know what that was and after I explained she said I'm sure that's not the case, you will be covered. I asked if she would email me the relevant endorsement.
I received the following shortly after:-

Please find below a copy of the garaging endorsement as discuseed.
This will be clarified in the documents was the policy is accepted.

'If you have told us that your vehicle is locked in a garage, if a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle occurs within a 500 metre radius of your home address when the vehicle is not locked in your garage, your insurer will not pay the claim. This restriction does not apply whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey.’

(their spelling mistakes)

I think that speaks for itself.

To conclude the company reps do not know everything or are economical with the true. CHECK and ask for copies of all relevant endorsements.
Looks like I'm going to have to accept this limitation on cover.

Hello All,
Whilst I have been a follower of this forum for many years, this is my first contribution.
I am in the process of arranging insurance for a new 1250GS Triple Black to be delivered later this month.
My first request for a quote was with Cornmarket. I asked about cover for a bike normally garaged which for example was being washed on the driveway and was stolen. The member of staff told me about the endorsement applicable but said I am sure you would be OK for such an example.

No way am I taking that as the truth when the wording of the endorsement clearly states you are not covered within 500m of your home address if the bike is stolen.

I then phoned Devitt who came out of Confused.com with a competitive quote. Again I started by asking about the "Garage Endorsement". The Rep did not know what that was and after I explained she said I'm sure that's not the case, you will be covered. I asked if she would email me the relevant endorsement.

'If you have told us that your vehicle is locked in a garage, if a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle occurs within a 500 metre radius of your home address when the vehicle is not locked in your garage, your insurer will not pay the claim. This restriction does not apply whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey.’

To conclude the company reps do not know everything or are economical with the true. CHECK and ask for copies of all relevant endorsements.

You need to read the full policy and schedule - I have a policy bought from Devitt who are a broker. The policy is underwritten by Aviva. On my schedule there is this endorsement:
CLAUSE 38 - INCREASED THEFT EXCESS - VEHICLE GARAGED
In respect of motorcycle registration number XXXXXXX we will not pay the first £175 of any claim under Section 1 for loss of or damage following
theft or any attempted theft, where the theft occurs between the hours of 22.00 and 06.00 when the motorcycle is in the proximity of
(a) your Private Dwelling house
or
(b) any other address where the motorcycle is normally garaged and which has been agreed by the Company
and at the time of such occurrence the motorcycle was not in a locked building or compound.
The excess applies in addition to any other excess stated in the policy.
Subject otherwise to the terms and conditions shown in the policy.

I have a second policy, sold by Carole Nash and underwritten by Axa. This has a very similar wording where the endorsement only applies after 10pm and just raises the excess.

You should be able to see the full policy wording including any endorsements prior to buying a policy. If you are not happy with the wording then ask the broker to seek an alternative underwriter, perhaps suggesting Aviva or Axa rather than some Mickey Mouse syndicate at Lloyds. You might have to pay a little extra and use a broker willing to do something different than look at their equivalent of Confused.com although both of the polices I refer to came from a comparison site provided by Topcashback but were not necessarily the cheapest offering.

One site i used stated that you must use the bike details from the V5

clearly the bike is a TE but according to the V5 its a boggo GS

However they keep pulling it up as a GSA everytime i put in the reg number

and the prices are fecking crap too. numbers and the joke bucket spring to mind

Hello All,

I was with Hastings direct last year and they did cover your bike being stolen from your drive where it was normally garaged but the excess was higher than for the rest of the policy which seemed fair enough. Not sure if they still do thatcas I've switched this year.

I have just spent 3 days of my life searching and arranging insurance. The quotes varied from £181 to £545 fully comp and legal, protected ncd and 90 days euro travel. The excess from £350 to £800. I am aware you can offset excess by another £30 on the policy. What gets me the most is when you look up the actual insurance company that is taking the risk that the broker is using, it is frightening. I tried many companies and all where just horror stories there were non in my opinion I would have chosen, unless you wish to spend around the £500 mark. I finally took insurance with IAM Cornmarket at £362. I am 71 years , full ncd, riding a 2020 RG1250 GS TE. We must complain and approach the Ombudsman if the insurance company are unreasonable. The process will take a lot time , but they will slowly change their habits when fined. Rant over thanks for reading

“I'm just a poor old man. ... My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent."

I have just spent 3 days of my life... I am 71 years....

At that age, you’d be wise to count them carefully.

We must complain and approach the Ombudsman....

Be sure to start your letter: ‘Why, oh why, oh why .....’ and end it: Yours resovoir (aged 71)

If, when you have gathered up the Basildon Bond and a stamp, you do correspond with the Ombudsman, you can be assured of a reply. That’s one positive you can take with you.

“I'm just a poor old man. ... My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent."

At that age, you’d be wise to count them carefully.

Be sure to start your letter: ‘Why, oh why, oh why .....’ and end it: Yours resovoir (aged 71)

If, when you have gathered up the Basildon Bond and a stamp, you do correspond with the Ombudsman, you can be assured of a reply. That’s one positive you can take with you.

Have you finally lost all of your self respect?...Take a look at yourself, what do you see?

And what, dear fellow, was Mr Au revoir, to write in his letter to the Ombudsman? That he was distressed that there was not one but several insurers prepared to provide him with a broad range of quotations and options to insure his motorbike? Or that it took him three days, there being so many of them and so many alternatives to consider? Or maybe it is to say that he thinks all insurers are knaves, rogues and felons, the like of which he’s not seen before?

What is it that the insurers are to be fined for, precisely? What is it that ‘we’ must join with this unknown fellow to write about?

Your answers (or his) on the back of a postcard to the usual address.

I have just spent 3 days of my life searching and arranging insurance.
I am 71 years

i know we all slow up with age, but three days to log on and tap your name, address, bike make, model and reg number on a keyboard is concerning ... were you wearing the correct glasses ? did you keep nodding off mid quote ?

:D

You must write and complain. In fact, we all must! He says it will take a lot of time (so I guess more than three days) but it will be worth it. If you can throw something in about the exorbitant price of fish and the length of queues in the post office, so much the better.

Back
Top Bottom