Services, mileages..or lack of them.

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought my 1290 in October 2019 for the purpose of Euro tours for the next 3 years or so.

Due to covid it had its first/annual service in April 2020 at 819 miles in prep for a trip to France and Spain in June which was obviously cancelled.

I have called my local dealer to book in for its 2nd annual service prior to a planned tour of Slovenia/Dolomites at end of August. He suggested I will be ok to get it done mid July and this will not affect the warranty. I was told all fluids need replacing at this service and it will cost around the £350 mark.

Going by KTM's service intervals my mileage for this service should be around 19000, actual current mileage is 1302!

Has anyone had experience of talking to KTM in regards to allowing items to be ignored on servicing, as it seems unfair to be charged for a 2nd service with the amount of miles completed.

Even if the weather picks up and I commute now and then I cant see my mileage reaching any more than 3000 before mid July.

The only thing i can say is correct service schedule based on annual or mileage helps with the warranty. My switchgear on my 2017 1290 packed up when it was 9 months out of warranty just after I'd sold it privately. Theoretically KTM wouldn't be interested in covering the second owner even as a goodwill gesture when it was out of warranty. They actually coughed up the left hand switch gear (list price around £400) because the bike had been serviced at the 12 month intervals despite not actually reaching the 9,000 mile service interval each year.

Obviously switch gear isn't a service item but KTM said you've paid the money and had it serviced correctly to the schedule so they covered the claim. It laso helps having a good dealer (Colwyn Bay in my case)

i know it's different to your situation, but just a thought.

Changing oil after such little use is I believe wrong and a complete waste.

The filter hasn't had much to filter so another waste.

The only thing i can say is correct service schedule based on annual or mileage helps with the warranty. My switchgear on my 2017 1290 packed up when it was 9 months out of warranty just after I'd sold it privately. Theoretically KTM wouldn't be interested in covering the second owner even as a goodwill gesture when it was out of warranty. They actually coughed up the left hand switch gear (list price around £400) because the bike had been serviced at the 12 month intervals despite not actually reaching the 9,000 mile service interval each year.

Obviously switch gear isn't a service item but KTM said you've paid the money and had it serviced correctly to the schedule so they covered the claim. It laso helps having a good dealer (Colwyn Bay in my case)

i know it's different to your situation, but just a thought.

Yeah..reckon I will just bite the bullet and get it done....I have no intentions of selling this bike for a long time.

When I bought my 790 Duke last August it had 4000 miles on it and was 18 months old. It didn't need another service based on miles for another 5k but when I phoned the dealer to see if the warranty was still valid he said it would need another time based service as it was 12 months since the last one was done. So I paid circa £200 for a service and brake fluid change.....and then various lockdonws hit and it's done about 300 miles since, and now the remaining warranty has expired. Sod's law, I guess......

Back
Top Bottom