Best pubs in Deal?

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am staying in Deal for a few months from mid April and assuming things open up a bit as planned I was after some recommendations for pubs. I am particularly into real ale/craft beers. TIA

Then you're in paradise.

The Berry in Walmer is marvelous. Massive range of interesting beer, ranges changes daily. Friendly staff (Chris is the owner, a finer chap you'll never meet, he was round her just 10 mins ago delivering my Friday supplies).

The Just Reproach is a micropub always with a good range of beers.

The Lighthouse is also a nice scene, a music pub just open weekends, but also with a decent and ever-varying range of beers.

There are other good pubs, but these are my favorites

Gimme a PM when you're in town and I'd be glad to show them to you.

Then you're in paradise.

The Berry in Walmer is marvelous. Massive range of interesting beer, ranges changes daily. Friendly staff (Chris is the owner, a finer chap you'll never meet, he was round her just 10 mins ago delivering my Friday supplies).

The Lighthouse is also a nice scene, a music pub just open weekends, but also with a decent and ever-varying range of beers.

Blimey, that sounds pretty awesome! Do any of them have outdoor drinking areas? That may be important this Summer.

Will you have a bike with you ?

I haven’t decided on that yet. Usually I always trailer a bike and make sure my accommodation has fairly secure parking for my bike but I didn’t have the choice this year due to the lateness of the booking. I will be bringing my mountain bike and may commute to site via the Toll road and/or along the edge of the beach. It is only 4.5 miles. If my little CT70 does not sell I may bring that as it would fit through the gate that leads to the place I am staying. I am not that keen about leaving my newly acquired NC750X out on the road. What is the area like for that sort of thing?

I haven’t decided on that yet. Usually I always trailer a bike and make sure my accommodation has fairly secure parking for my bike but I didn’t have the choice this year due to the lateness of the booking. I will be bringing my mountain bike and may commute to site via the Toll road and/or along the edge of the beach. It is only 4.5 miles. If my little CT70 does not sell I may bring that as it would fit through the gate that leads to the place I am staying. I am not that keen about leaving my newly acquired NC750X out on the road. What is the area like for that sort of thing?
I live on the toll road between Sandwich and Deal. If it's any use to you you can leave the bike (and trailer if you want) here. I've plenty of space and it's entirely secure.

I live on the toll road between Sandwich and Deal. If it's any use to you you can leave the bike (and trailer if you want) here. I've plenty of space and it's entirely secure.

That is an incredibly generous offer and another example of how amazing this forum is! I will have a think about that. Another option might be to buy what I would refer to as a ‘shitter’ so I wouldn’t be too bothered about leaving it parked on the road. Decisions!

Robin's not a million miles away and has a GS. That would fit your bill ..... :nenau

Then you're in paradise.

You've just given me a hell of thirst. Looking forward to visiting again and just hoping that all those pubs and more have survived! Certainly up for helping them catch up on lost revenue.

Virtually on the sea front, normally has lots of table in front across the road, photo taken when we had some sun.

Attachments

• AA03C90A-2C0C-4E92-9A53-6C4BC5521236.jpg
    AA03C90A-2C0C-4E92-9A53-6C4BC5521236.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 157
On the bike front I have decided to get a less expensive bike that I won’t feel so bad about leaving out on the road. It is an awkward market just now. A grand gets you a rusty piece of poop, unlike a few years ago when you could pick up a presentable bike for that figure. I have just agreed a deal on an early naked SV650 that has only covered 7K miles and looks to have been garaged for all of its 22 years. It is probably more attractive than I really wanted but it made no sense buying something fat worse fir only a couple of hundred quid less. It should be a fun ride judging by the reviews and having owned the 650 VStrom with the later version engine I know it will go OK.

Just as an aside, one of the pubs I mentioned is just around the corner from where that copper has just been arrested for murder.

But don't let that put you off.

My world is being turned upside down. First Folkestone scores very highly on the "desirable places to live" and now it turns out there are nice pubs in Deal.

Enjoy your stay in the Garden of England, Mark.

Well, the weather wasn’t too welcoming but I am nestled into my compact but bijou digs. The display cabinet is now looking mighty fine!

Today I met the owner of the flat I am renting. He recommended the Tap House on South Street. Apparently the owner is also a Canaries supporter. You don’t come across many outside of Norfolk so I expect he hails from there. I had a stroll past there today and they are opening on Saturday but they only have a small outdoor area. Apparently, under normal circumstances they have 13 taps on the go. I may pop in for a pint next week sometime as I am home for the weekend. The micropub in my village reopens this week so I may have my first post lockdown beer in The Bank.

Back
Top Bottom