Intercom range between riders!

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is it a function of Bluetooth strength or radio frequency?

I think the latest is BT 5.1.

I’m just going by my mobile phone to Bose speaker when playing music via Bluetooth, it soon dies off when walking into another room.

Thanks.

Patria o Muerte

It may be a function of the technology, the iteration of Bluetooth installed or the type of device used, but one of the greatest limiting factors to range is the terrain over which it is deployed, which is perhaps what is limiting the range in your house - although the BT in a Bose speaker is probably not designed to work over much more than a few feet

I last used Gen II Bluetooth headsets in helmets five years or more ago and several hundred metres was easily achievable on open roads.

If its line of site 2 sets can stay connected at 400 metres. If using the 'mesh' thing, its further than that.

Ryan at Fortnine has a video on helmet comm ranges , several of the models seem to be US models but it’s still interesting.

The main point being all bar the very cheapest claim a range of 1.2 kilometres but in testing I think the furthest they got was about 650 metres (Sena ? ) and two others dwere around 450m and one 240m despite the claims !

Not sure it makes a massive difference with headsets, but there are big differences between UK and US on the amount of power a transmitter can put out, be that blue tooth/wifi etc

it soon dies off when walking into another room.

Thanks.

My experience of all things bluetooth, is that the greatest limiting factor is not distance, but things getting between the two units. So yes ... you will struggle with one room to another, with your phone and a blue tooth speaker simply because of internal walls. I notice even my own body will block the signal if my phone is in a pocket and the speaker is the wrong side of 'me' if that makes sense.

When bike coaching, two units on a helmet works pretty well, but when theres a weird helmet that my student unit cant attach to and we put it in their breast pocket, immediately the signal weakens because their body is between the two of us .... :thumb2

My experience of all things bluetooth, is that the greatest limiting factor is not distance, but things getting between the two units. So yes ... you will struggle with one room to another, with your phone and a blue tooth speaker simply because of internal walls. I notice even my own body will block the signal if my phone is in a pocket and the speaker is the wrong side of 'me' if that makes sense.

When bike coaching, two units on a helmet works pretty well, but when theres a weird helmet that my student unit cant attach to and we put it in their breast pocket, immediately the signal weakens because their body is between the two of us .... :thumb2

Thats easily sorted. 6 inch nail and hammer needed. attach BT unit to nail. Hammer nail into back of student. wa la.... no obstruction. :D

Thats easily sorted. 6 inch nail and hammer needed. attach BT unit to nail. Hammer nail into back of student. wa la.... no obstruction. :D

Giles is already crucifying the students, so what does another nail matter?......

Mesh systems extend the range by bouncing from rider to rider, more riders = longer range, less riders, less range.

1.2 miles is possible, but only with a few riders.

We have Sena 10u. When my GF is riding her own bike, at least a km, even without line of sight...

Love it when you talk dirty :D

I always like the silence of not having to speak with folks while on the bike.... anyway my mate has system and that must have worked for a mile at a guess... but I have to switch it off cos he was doing my head in....!

Back
Top Bottom