F850 gsa clutch

hairysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am thinking of moving from 1200 gsa lc to an 850. Is the 850 clutch cable operated or hydraulic. How does the 850 ride, is it a worthwhile downsize. Would value any opinions before I try and book a test ride...

The clutch is cable operated but is as light as the 1200s I owned. The GSA is a good bike, for me it only suffers a bit for being too heavy. If you’re a big tall chap it’ll be as roomy as the 1200GSA but even at 5’11” I found it a bit precarious - in fact the 800GSA was more manageable even though the stock seat is 30mm taller. Fuel economy will be better than the GSA (I got 60-65mpg easily). Wind protection good but probably a bit more buffering than the 1200. I think the Alu luggage fittings are the same.

Own a r1200 gsa lc, test rode both the f850gs ( also the brother in law owned one briefly), I also test rode the f850 gsa and then bought a low mileage f800 gsa from a main dealer .

When the 800 sh#t its engine 800 miles later I was offered first an 850gs as a replacement which I declined, offer was later upped to a used f850 gsa which I also declined preferring to get a new motor for the 800 instead.

Make sure you get a decent test ride

I have both a 1250 GSA and a 850GSA (1250 and 850 from here on) to my free disposal.
Even if the 1250 is the more powerful, I prefer the 850 when ever I ride solo. Yes. the 1250 has better acceleration and engine braking, but for all practical purpose, it does not matter.

The 1250 is the preferred bike when riding with the MS, and riding with some of my buddies with 1250 that likes to keep a frisk pace. Even if I'm able to keep their pace with the 850, it takes a bit of an effort.

I like the 850 for it's lower weight, easier to ride and easier to handle with engine off. Even if the 850 is not considered a light bike compared to other bikes in this range, it still feels lighter compared to the 1250.. I also find the Quick Shift to be working a lot smoother on the 850 compared to the 1250.

My preference for the GSA over the GS was due to improved range and weather protection. Also, selecting a GSA made it possible to share the boxes with the 1250 GSA.

Most people don't think much of the improved range over the GS, but frankly, when riding with buddies with the lower range GS, riding with areas where there is some distance between the gas stations means that there is one less thing to worry about.

I think it’s because the stock bike has pretty impressive range. My 750 only has 15 litres but I’m getting about 230 miles out of a tank. Of course, tank range depends on where you are and how far you want to go - In more remote places a bigger tank definitely makes sense. And having had a 1200GSA previously, the 850GSA feels substantially lighter on a “paddle a bike backwards uphill” test :D

Back
Top Bottom