Low suspension 850

WeeBriso

Reaction score
Hello,

can anyone let me know what the rear suspension is like on a factory lowered 850, it looks like I may have go down this route due to my height..thanks

In a word... rubbish. I had one and you could bounce the back of the bike up and down with two fingers. I am about 75Kg and it needed 15-20Kg of luggage on the back not to bounce around all over the place, whilst at the same time crashing over every pothole. If you need a lower bike either get an F750GS (which is lower than even the low 850, and a better road bike) or consider a Tiger or similar. The other issues with the lowered 850 are no centre stand (and none are available), no tyre pressure monitoring by default and no ESA.

I have a lowered 850 and the suspension is good!
I think it is better than the standard 750 I tried much better than my old Tiger 800.
And I chose one with tyre pressure monitoring.
I haven’t ridden it off road yet, but looking forward to it.

YMMV but I cannot agree with you there. The manual shock is woefully under damped and the 750GS is far superior (the ESA actually works). It’s also very soft front and rear which makes the 21” front wheel feel even more ponderous on the road. I’ve owned all 3 bikes in the range (rather than deciding which is best after a 1 hour test ride) and kept the 750 as it’s by far the better road bike. If you primarily want to off-road maybe the spoked wheels on the 850 would be better but in all honesty it’s far too heavy (and too heavy) for anything serious anyway.

YMMV but I cannot agree with you there. The manual shock is woefully under damped and the 750GS is far superior (the ESA actually works). It’s also very soft front and rear which makes the 21” front wheel feel even more ponderous on the road. I’ve owned all 3 bikes in the range (rather than deciding which is best after a 1 hour test ride) and kept the 750 as it’s by far the better road bike. If you primarily want to off-road maybe the spoked wheels on the 850 would be better but in all honesty it’s far too heavy (and too heavy) for anything serious anyway.

Thanks, I can only only test ride the 750 next week as it’s the demo but thought it might be under powered.
I liked the look of the 750 though..
What is your thoughts on 750 v 850 is the power noticeably different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The extra power is mostly higher in the rev range. Back to back you could just about tell there were more horses but the difference wasn’t much. You would notice if you rev it out but then neither bike is really about that. I can say that when I originally took the 750 for a test ride I was on a 1200GS and the 750 compared favourably.

The extra power is mostly higher in the rev range. Back to back you could just about tell there were more horses but the difference wasn’t much. You would notice if you rev it out but then neither bike is really about that. I can say that when I originally took the 750 for a test ride I was on a 1200GS and the 750 compared favourably.

Thanks

Thanks, I can only only test ride the 750 next week as it’s the demo but thought it might be under powered.
I liked the look of the 750 though..
What is your thoughts on 750 v 850 is the power noticeably different?

750 with the low seat perfecto:thumb

Just bought a lowered F850GSA

I had a normal height one previously.

Suspension on the lowered model 2021, is great. Less fork dive than standard height model and I really heavy so , yes surprised me too.

happy bunny. FYI I tried lowering the last one with a Hyper pro kit. Works great when in motion but not much if any height reduction when climbing on and soft initial suspension travel made it unstable getting on and off in mu opinion.

cheers

If it came with a centre stand I’d have another look, sadly neither BMW nor the aftermarket are interested. It’s not the end of the world but it makes chain maintenance and cleaning the back wheel an unnecessary PITA...

Looks like SWMotech are doing a centre stand for the BMW lowered bike now

I’ve said it before, I think the 750 is perfect for road riding. Power, balance, capability and suspension can’t be faulted in my opinion. It is a little big for me also but that’s making me learn to ride better and plan ahead. The dynamic ESA was probably the reason I chose it over a Tiger. Highly recommended

That’s the 750 stand that’s been available for a couple of years. This is about the 850 with low suspension.

Sorry Matty you are right. Well I can only offer another vote for a 750 with the DynamicESA I’ve never felt short on power and the 850 offered me no advantage as I’m not off-roading nor would I take a £12k bike into the dirt! Standard 750 and 5’7” I’m fine. You could take a sergeant seat and drop another 15mm to around 800mm seat height. But to be clear this is about the 750 and not the 850. Good luck!

Oh, I’d agree with you. It’s just a shame that the bike clearly has enough ground clearance but a low suspension centre stand is not offered. I think they didn’t offer one on the low suspension 800GS as well, although I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom