Handlebar conversion 1250GS

zoltan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I changed my bike in 2019 I had a test ride on the R1250R, I really liked the bike especially the ergonomics, I have short arms so the narrow handlebars suited me. In the end I went for the GS. However part of the deal was to fit the handlebars from the 1250R (standard not sport) which is 1.5" shorter on both sides, it was a something that the dealer never done and we didn't know if it will work.
Well it worked, fingers have plenty of room and everything fitted back ok. I suspect the SOS button may be in a tight spot. Happy with the results. Cost:£200 for the BMW bars.

Attachments

• BAR.jpg
    BAR.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • BAR1.jpg
    BAR1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 1,249
Could we see it without the camouflage?

Looks a bit odd with the cover over the top

Could we see it without the camouflage?

Looks a bit odd with the cover over the top

No, the bag is fixed with cable ties.
The bar at the top is the original, the 1250R bar is bellow.

I just put on ROX adjustable risers 50mm up and back.

Had nothing to do with height or reach, thou I have the Wunderlich set up. You see when you have normal human arms(not like a chimp) width is a problem.

Had nothing to do with height or reach, thou I have the Wunderlich set up. You see when you have normal human arms(not like a chimp) width is a problem.

You did say you have short arms. One would assume you have reach issues which on a GS usually means problems with putting the bars on full lock. I also have short arms up and back risers with the bars rotated back keeps the height the same, I can now sit upright with some bend at the elbow and put the bars on full lock. I will have a look into the 1250r bars, those and the risers maybe just the ticket.

i don't have short arms but that is the one thing that always annoyed me about the gs. i reckoned an inch less each side would have been good. i had rox risers on mine but the width was still a bugbear of mine.

Warning! That is the Sport, mine is Standard. The Sport is slightly angled down according to the dealer and may be to close to the tank on the GS, hence I opted for the Standard. The number part on the bar fitted on my bike is 32718549512-01 >EN AW 6061

https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/moto...andlebars-genuine-r1200r-k53-r1250r-2019.html

Thanks for that, I might have to sell the wife and get those bars, anyone want to chip in for extra £200.00 pounds I'll need.

Ok so I bought and fitted the standard bars - The hand guards now contact the screen and wind deflectors so not sure I will be keeping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I bought and fitted the standard bars - The hand guards now contact the screen and wind deflectors so not sure I will be keeping them.

I have a Wunderlich bar riser, high/and back. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem? The screen in high position, I still have plenty of clearance. My bike

Attachments

• SC.jpg
    SC.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 564
  • SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 571

If you want to sell the bars, I am interested.

I have a Wunderlich bar riser, high/and back. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem? The screen in high position, I still have plenty of clearance. My bike

Yes looks like that's why mine hits the screen - I've removed them now as don't really want risers.

I wish BMW would offer a slightly narrower and lower bar like the one on the S1000XR for the GS !

Back
Top Bottom