1290SA-S - supporting bike while removing front wheel

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a safe way to support the front of the 2018 1290SA-S while removing the front wheel.

I can hang the front of the bike from the roof trusses in my shed but want to find a better way - even for cleaning the front wheel in the yard.

Ideally without using a paddock stand front and rear.

I have a good bike lift but there is no skid plate or other surface underneath this one to lift safely.

Any suggestions welcome...

Bin

Haven’t tried this with SAS yet, but with previous adventure bikes I’ve put it on the centre stand then used a trolley jack with a piece of wood under the front exhaust downpipe to lift the front.

Haven’t tried this with SAS yet, but with previous adventure bikes I’ve put it on the centre stand then used a trolley jack with a piece of wood under the front exhaust downpipe to lift the front.

yep, this works,, just make sure you tilt it back far enough for the back tyre to just touch the ground, gives it a bit more stability

If no trolley jack use the scissor one from your car

Simples, after removing the front wheel re-insert the spindle and put either a trolley jack or axle stand under the spindle, no need trying to put a jack under the engine or exhausts and risking damage.

Simples, after removing the front wheel re-insert the spindle and put either a trolley jack or axle stand under the spindle, no need trying to put a jack under the engine or exhausts and risking damage.

I'm presuming it will need holding up while he removes the wheel and juggles that and the spindle and the jack ?

I'm presuming it will need holding up while he removes the wheel and juggles that and the spindle and the jack ?
Possibly. They sit nose heavy, so when you take the wheel out, it may well fall back on the rear. Or it may not.

I don't know for sure as I use a large scissor jack under the OEM plastic bash plate :D

Quite nose heavy and no where underneath that I'd be happy to jack up. My GSA and R100 both sit perfectly on the bike lift, but this baby is different. If I could get a paddock stand just high enough to lift the front wheel clear without grounding the rear wheel...

Lifted the front using ratchet straps (2 to be sure...) and then left her resting on some RSJ offcuts. Clumsy but safe.

Attachments

• KTM on RSJ.jpg
    KTM on RSJ.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 222
2" wood under centre stand, bricks in the top box.....or thread through rear wheel tied down to bricks..or through hand rails tide down to something heavy..

I jack under the front of the engine just enough to get the front wheel skimming the ground, then once the wheel is out I put a petrol can that happens to fit neatly under the forks / spindle for extra peace of mind....

..although having read this thread I realise the ground anchor in my garage would make a good tie-down point for the rear wheel.

Eeeek!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peice of wood, or two, a nice length to wedge under the crash bars?

Or you could use a paddock stand for the front end of the bike. That’s what my mobile tyre fitter used leaving the bike on its centre stand at the same time . I do realise you didn’t want to use a paddock stand however a good quality one should be nice and safe .

Thanks VErona! If the chance comes, I'll see what s available in local shops. I was told that lifting the bike on front paddock stand without rear paddock stand usually makes the bike want to lie down. I guess you can lift to the point where the rear tyre touches down and then you are starting to lift the main-stand off the ground.. eeeek...

You only need to lift the front wheel just off the ground. :thumb2

I think if ones are going to attempt this nervously it risks going badly wrong. Weigh up the cost of dropping the whole bike in for tyres, vs dropping your whole bike in the garage and having to spend big fixing it.

YouTube is your friend with this. Watch how-to's and decide if it's too much for you or not. Cobbling bits of wood here and there sounds like the expensive option. Buy the kit to do it safely and you'll have it for life.

I took the scissor jack out of my wife’s polo. Piece of wood under bash plate and jack away. Super stable. Bike on centre stand obviously.

Back
Top Bottom