I’m thinking of touring Spain....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skudd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm tempted to do the Spain thing. I was thinking of taking the Ferry down to the south and ride back up.

I'm tempted to do the Spain thing. I was thinking of taking the Ferry down to the south and ride back up.

The best way IMHO is to catch the overnight ferry from Plymouth to Santander with a cabin, that way you get a good nights sleep, and arrive in Santander fresh at about 10.30 ish. Then you have the whole of Spain and Portugal to choose from, then choose a different route back to Santander for your ferry back home.

There have been some great suggestions in this tread, some I will try and do this year, fingers crossed .

As has been said the Iberian Peninsula is huge, you could spend a month touring and only see a fraction of what it has to offer. Just avoid Madrid at any time because its a pita on a bike, and the city's of the south from 1pm to 7 pm in July and August because of the heat, sitting at traffic lights in all the gear when its 40 C in the shade, and you are in the sun is no fun. Best to arrive in the city's early doors or after 8 pm when the rush hour is more or less over. I came through Sevilla at 9pm on my way back from the Pico's and it was 38 C, but because the sun was setting and the traffic was a lot less, I could keep moving, and get some airflow. A few tips WATER WATER and WATER is your best friend, pour it down your back and front of your jacket as well as drinking plenty, it will keep your body temperature down while it evaporates, its heaven. I find that I have to repeat it every 20/30 minutes or so, as I always ride in a mesh jacket and trousers, so plenty of evaporation.

Honestly get it booked, its biking heaven.

I do it with a mate a couple of times every year and we used to do the ferry thing, but last few years we've done Eurotunnel and travelled through France. Hate the ferry anyway and works out about the same in extra fuel/B&B versus ferry ticket.

If you hate France, then it's a no go, plus you have to add 4 ish days to your trip as opposed to 2 with the ferry. We have no commitments to get back for, so tend to do three weeks and spent two nights in France each way on the first trip (can do just one if all you want to do is get to Spain), but now we just ride and decide.

For us, it just offers two 'atmospheres' and two different types of riding.

Spain is very much worth visiting. Such a range of scenery, culture and history.

You might wish to check a map, as the ferries from the UK will only take you to the northern coast on the Bay if Biscay.

What Ferry goes all the way to the South?

And how long does it take to get there, a week?

Is your one inflatable?

The paddleboard and doll, not the bike.

Fixed it for you..... ps Get yourself down to Spain, it's biking heaven, fabulous scenery and good empty roads....:beerjug:

It’s a disaster, don’t go, leave it to us.

We often take the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander and spend a couple of weeks before either getting a return ferry or riding back up through France.

A couple of years ago, we headed across to Portugal and rode down the coast before heading back up along the border on the Spanish side.

You can't go wrong really - great roads and friendly folk

Stunning roads so give yourself plenty of time.

Santander, is that in the south of Spain? Only you mention ferry and the OP wants to take one to the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom