I’m thinking of touring Spain....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking with regard to the ferry and total time taken. If I get the Friday ferry from Portsmouth to Santander when does it arrive in Santander, Brittany ferries webby says +2days so sail Friday night and arrive Sunday morning 8.30am local time? Then the ferry back sails Saturday afternoon and arrives Sunday evening?
I would like to make sure I've got it right as it has an effect on how far we can go.

Thanks,
Martin

Yes, the +2 means 2 nights on board - this is common on Portsmouth sailings on the new ships. I think they are stopping at Roscoff for a crew change. These used to happen in Portsmouth but probably another Brexit bonus. They include one dinner and one breakfast in the ticket price.

I am sailing from Plymouth in September. This has the best times. Late afternoon departure, 1 night on board, arrive in Santander at 230pm local time. Plenty of time to get to the Picos or French border.

Awesome, thanks guys. Ferry booked for 11th September Plymouth to Santander and then 8 days touring Spain and Portugal, can't wait.

You're on the same ferry as my lot, then, and we're doing exactly the same. Stop off in San Vicente De La Barquera after the ferry and catch us all in the Cafe-Bar El Manantial on the corner, or later in Cangas de Onis in the bar under the bridge on our way to Cudillero, we'll give you some tips. I take a few lads (8 of us this year so far) on a tour around there every year and I know my way around. I won't be on the ferry, as I live here, the other lads are a good bunch..... of alcoholics :D. Feel free to PM me or I can answer any questions on here if you want.:nenau

I assume you're going to Chaves. I'd book the Hotel Forte De Sao Francisco early to avoid disappointment. Free cancellation usually. It's the only place to stay.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot...Hbd3DTUQ_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1440&bih=655&dpr=2

You won't regret the decision to go and tour Northern Spain/Portugal.

Enjoy.

I will definitely PM you with the route and some questions, complete newbies to Spain and Portugal. We were planning on camping most nights to keep the costs down and the weather should still be fairly warm? Towards Portugal at any rate? or are we dreaming :)

I will definitely PM you with the route and some questions, complete newbies to Spain and Portugal. We were planning on camping most nights to keep the costs down and the weather should still be fairly warm? Towards Portugal at any rate? or are we dreaming :)

accommodation and food is a lot cheaper in Spain & Portugal. Leave the tent at home.

Have toured spain several times from Bilbao, both east and west as far as Gibralter. Usually mix camping with last minute booking.com cheap hostels/hotels. Imo if you can stay away from cities and motorways you will find some of the best roads in the world with hardly any traffic. One oddity is that different regions invest differently in roads so you can be sailing along on a fantastic road and then find yourself on a terrible surface without warning and impossible to tell from a map.

Awesome, thanks guys. Ferry booked for 11th September Plymouth to Santander and then 8 days touring Spain and Portugal, can't wait.

I did that ferry once. There was a coachload of women on a henny from Wales. They were terrifying.

Tinking of Plymouth to Santander in September and making my way down to Malaga.
Then doing some riding in the Sierra Nevada, i know a bloke down there who does mountain tours , your bike or his , and some off roading.

Yes, the +2 means 2 nights on board - this is common on Portsmouth sailings on the new ships. I think they are stopping at Roscoff for a crew change. These used to happen in Portsmouth but probably another Brexit bonus. They include one dinner and one breakfast in the ticket price.

Thats a pain, the last few times I've been on the Cap Finisterre travelling Portsmouth>Santander, it was Friday evening departure and a night on the beer, a late breakfast then into Santander for about 5:30 Saturday evening.

Please do

Nothing from the OP since March 2021 and the somewhat vague single line post.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom