question about claiming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted account 220522001

Reaction score
if i am insured third party, and i am involved in an accident (ie bike is damaged by car driver)...when i contact my insurance company....if they insist the bike is collected and taken away to 'their' facility, where it remains to be inspected (and racking up 'storage' charges)...can i refuse this? can i insist that i get quotes for my bike to be repaired and then tell my insurer to make a claim on the other parties insurance? (ie bike remains at my house)

Surely if you are insured third party. your insurer has no interest in collecting/storing or claiming from the other party

well, this is the situation that happened to me in 2019.

a driver crashed into me, i am insured third party only.

my insurer insisted on collecting the bike and taking it away to be inspected and stored. they also wanted me to take a hire bike.

as i knew my bike would be written off (its a 20 year old bike worth about £1,400), and i didn't want to get hit with "storage" and bike hire charges if the car driver didn't admit fault.. i said i would keep my bike and fix it myself on the cheap, and just make a claim for personal injury

so...could i have insisted on keeping the bike at my house and getting repair quotes to supply to the car drivers insurer?

Was it your insurer? From your description, maybe it was the Legal Expenses / Uninsured Loss Recovery service arranged by your broker.

If indeed its ULR you did the right thing by refusing their offer of storage & bike hire - As you say you would be liable if the other side's insurer didn't admit fault

ULR is a service, you can choose whether or not to accept it

Yes it'll be ULR, i.e. Uninsured Loss Recovery, e.g. Injury, damage to your bike and other costs such as storage & replacement vehicle hire.

The key is Loss Recovery, i,e, recovery of your losses. If they cannot recover - because the other side's insurer don't admit liability, the costs remain with you.

Are you now stuck with costs of storage & hire?

no, i said i would repair the bike myself and i only claimed for personal injury

i was just curious if i could have kept the bike at home, obtained repair quotes, and submitted them to carole nash, as oppose to them taking the bike away?

no, i said i would repair the bike myself and i only claimed for personal injury

i was just curious if i could have kept the bike at home, obtained repair quotes, and submitted them to carole nash, as oppose to them taking the bike away?

They collected my written-off (snapped in two) GS, when I found out it was 4th Dimension I asked them to return it - previous poor experience.

No point racking up storage on a bike that was never going to be repaired, plus I removed undamaged accessories - it is your bike, you could kept it at home.

this is what my insurance policy says:

does this mean i have to do what 4th dimension says?

the detailed terms and conditions of the ULR section of my policy don't mention anything specifically about this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 08.08.54.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 08.08.54.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 213
Really I don't understand your question

Post #9 - it is your bike, you could kept it at home.

Post #4 ULR is a service, you can choose whether or not to accept it

ok, so my question is could i have used the ULR service WITHOUT letting them take the bike away and using 4th dimension to handle the repairs etc?

Your post #10 says Legal Expenses provided by 4th Dimension. Legal Expenses is same as ULR.

Yes you can refuse them taking the bike away & racking storage charges. You would still have Uninsured Losses (Injury, Damage) & I would expect your Legal Expenses / ULR service would deal with these.

Unless there's a clause that says they won't unless they get the lucrative storage contract, wouldn't have thought so, but but for only £2,68 maybe they seek to restrict the cover. You would have to study the wording to be sure

if i am insured third party, and i am involved in an accident (ie bike is damaged by car driver)...when i contact my insurance company....if they insist the bike is collected and taken away to 'their' facility, where it remains to be inspected (and racking up 'storage' charges)...can i refuse this? can i insist that i get quotes for my bike to be repaired and then tell my insurer to make a claim on the other parties insurance? (ie bike remains at my house)

If their facility is 4th Dimension tell them to FRO and then stop think about it and FRO a bit further , read their reviews.

It is your bike and your broker /insurer cannot tell you where to get it repaired , they will no doubt try pressure tactics ie well we cannot guarantee when an assessor can come out etc .

Try 5 or 6 hour repairs taking up to 2 months , incurring £1000's of storage fees and also £1000's of loan bike fees. i have two friends who have been on the wrong end of 4th Dimensions shall we say dubious practices, lying regards repair times and poor quality repairs .

CN use 4 Dimension and I had it in writing that my bikes would not be going to that repair facility ..

If you do give in and use 4th Dimension you have been warned

well, the accident happened in 2019 and i elected not to let them take the bike away.

i smelt a rat when the carole nash/4th dimension person on the phone was very insistent i take a hire bike saying "this will not cost you anything" (then who pays if the 3rd party do not admit fault?).

i also found out that once they take the bike away, you can't get it back until the 3rd party's assessor has seen it. this could take months.

i just didn't trust the whole "4th dimension" thing hence elected to repair the bike myself (£200) and made a personal injury claim.

Case one a repair on a 650 V Strom that according to local Suzuki dealer would take 6 hours from start to finish and cost under £1000 including parts and paint took over 8 weeks plus costs of storage at £25 per day when not being worked on (probably 7 weeks and 5 days )plus cost of transport from Newcastle to Surrey and back. constant lies about parts availability issues , not ringing back when asked and an okay at best repair. No hire bike in this case .

Case two a three year old FJR 1300 with very minor damage to the rear mudguard and light cluster, repair took 8 weeks, so most of that was running up £25 a day storage , transport from Northumberland to Surrey, constant delays , first hire bike that was delivered unroadworthy !!!!!! van up from Surrey to swap hire bikes , hire bill of I believe £40 or £50 per day . Local Yamaha dealer 12 miles away reckoned it would be bring it in we'll have a look and order parts , when they are in ride down we'll lend you a bike for the day and then you will get your bike the same day.

In both of these cases a relatively small bill ended up costing the other insurer £1000's by bumping up the storage and hire costs and in both cases the owners were bullied by their brokers that they MUST use 4th Dimension........... an utter disgrace

There was an article about this in one of the bike mags recently on the "Ask the Lawyer" column, White Dalton or similar firm. If my memory serves me correctly:
Primary advice was- its your bike, your choice where it goes to.
Next, regarding these "Claims Management" companies, you have to remember that when claiming against a 3rd party, you have to be reasonable in keeping a lid on extra costs. So if your bike is worth £2000, suffers £1000 worth of damage, but you rack up £5000 in hire and storage fees, a County Court judge might not be too sympathetic to you. You lose, you pay.

A couple of real-life cases;
A mate was tipped off his bike while stationary, scratched fairing panel and can. Bike went to a main dealer, who called him 2 days later saying the insurance assessors are here, are talking about writing your bike off and taking it away. He told them to not release it, went and got it back, repaired it himself, presented the bill to the drivers insurance who paid up, no problem.
My son got knocked off his old ratbike of a Diversion, but rode it home, I had a look and reckoned about £200 in parts would put it right. Next day he had a call from the drivers insurance, offering him £400 plus a new helmet of similar value to his old one, to settle the claim. He accepted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom