Mototuning Rathcoole

Right.....the bike is back. I didn't get anything done with the fueling but I had all the restrictions removed (except 1st) and made the throttle more aggressive.

My bike is only making a couple of extra HP (105 at the wheel) but with the restrictions removed and the faster throttle it feels much stronger.
Well worth doing....and Gary is a sound chap.

S20 5G sent this......

Sounds about right, Keith. Crosstourer puts out about 130bhp at the crank. Transmission losses with shaft drive are around 15% so around 20bhp lost by the time it gets to the back wheel. The extra mechanicals in the DCT transmission could shave a few more bhp off, too. My F would put out around 148 bhp at the back wheel from what I've read. That's down from 173 bhp at the crank.
Couple of other things to remember.
Any Dyno will not give you an accurate reading of power output to the last bhp. It's more of a before and after comparison after, say, a reflash.
Unless you have done work on cams, pistons, exhausts, etc. your peak power may not change that much. A reflash is more about improving driveability. It'll pull strongly through the revs and feels more powerful but may still show under 110 bhp at the back wheel. But it will feel much better to ride!
Any news about it yet?
You should definitely make contact with Gary.

As I said in a comment above, I asked him not to mess with the timing or AFR for fear of making a thirsty bike into a raging Dipso!
But we removed all the restrictions (except 1st) and quickened up the throttle...........it's like a different bike.

There was a 1200f there when I was there, so he definitely has experience of them.

S20 5G sent this......

Haven't done anything yet, Keith. Been struggling recently with what I think (hope!) is Asthma. Ended up in A&E last week but seeing the consultant on Wednesday so should get sorted then.
Still have mixed feelings about whether to get a reflash. As I said, the O2 sensor tweaker has cured the hole at 3000 rpm and I'm too scared to take the restrictions off the gears on mine! ;)
There's a guy on the VFR1200 Facebook group in the Netherlands who can flash the ECU if you post it or over the internet with a cable. He has done quite a few VFR's in the group and everyone seems pleased. Charges 230 Euros for a remote flash and 200 Euros + p&p if you post it to him.
The thing that started me on this quest was that the take-up in the drive had become a bit snatchy and had nearly caught me out a couple of times. Think I've got that cured now and it's something might find useful on your Crosstourer as well. Someone in the VFR group posted a page from the workshop manual about how to reset the clutch and PCM on your DCT. Supposed to be done after a service by your friendly, local dealer. Yeah, right. No tools involved, just a series of button pushes. I was sceptical at first but it actually works.
The clutch take-up is now more gradual as if you were using a manual clutch. So better control for a short arse like me moving off on a big, heavy bike. I THINK that the gear shifts may be a bit smoother but hard to say for sure.
It also resets the PCM which is the unit that changes gears. I'm guessing that it maybe clears a memory cache like in a computer? The PCM does have basic learning software that tries to learn how you ride. What I found is that it now tends to hold onto the lower gears slightly longer even in D. If, say, you're in slow traffic, it now tends to hold onto third or fourth a bit longer in case you see the chance to overtake. It just feels more responsive in general driving. I intend doing it at least every year or oil change. It's recommended by Honda and it's free! I'd attach a jpeg of the pages if I could remember how. I'll look it up.

Back
Top Bottom