Tail tidy Fatboy

DC

Reaction score
Dear congregation

I had a 2021 Fatboy delivered yesterday, and would like to replace the number plate bracket at the rear. I had a side mounted one on my 2018 model, which was a PITA, so not going down that route again.
Anyone know of any companies producing anything to tidy up the rear ?

Attachments

• C5B5244B-19D3-407C-A33E-29425D958518.jpg
    C5B5244B-19D3-407C-A33E-29425D958518.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 327
Picture of rear end

Attachments

• B5F0A424-AAD9-49A6-8849-D268D6DD573E.jpeg
    B5F0A424-AAD9-49A6-8849-D268D6DD573E.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 284
Most options are side mounts.

Iron Optics rear mount looks slightly better? ............ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iron-Optic...ocphy=1006506&hvtargid=pla-655143882713&psc=1

The only problem would be relocating the tail/brake light, as the link is for A Fat Bob, not Boy. You could raise the plate above the brake light using a laydown number plate holder so it wouldn't look too much like a sail on the back and slightly reduce the plate size. Then you would need to replace the brake light lense with an upwards shining window or wire in a dedicated number plate led.
I sometimes use google images for different ideas on what other folks have done. H-D's accessory book is a start as well as trawling ARH and Hogparts websites.

thanks Squibb, yeah thats a fat bob, but is similar to what I want to do . will have alook on the iron optics site

Cheers Si, I had thought of a laydown , I have one of these on the Heritage and looks great. Fitted to a fatboy would mean drilling into the rear fender. the brake light wouldn't be an issue. i would just need to feed a number plate light for legality ,and I had thought of the little LEDs you can now purchase.

Just put a stick on plate on the mudguard, plenty of room by the look of it, which is currently too big, the plate would break it up.
If you are concerned about it being not quite legal, you bought the wrong bike.

thanks Squibb, yeah thats a fat bob, but is similar to what I want to do . will have alook on the iron optics site

Cheers Si, I had thought of a laydown , I have one of these on the Heritage and looks great. Fitted to a fatboy would mean drilling into the rear fender. the brake light wouldn't be an issue. i would just need to feed a number plate light for legality ,and I had thought of the little LEDs you can now purchase.

If you could find one, surely you could simply bolt on a Heritage rear fender and lighting? I'd be amazed if they weren't interchangeable.

Just put a stick on plate on the mudguard, plenty of room by the look of it, which is currently too big, the plate would break it up.
If you are concerned about it being not quite legal, you bought the wrong bike.

thanks Att ,thats crossed my mind re a stick on .

If you could find one, surely you could simply bolt on a Heritage rear fender and lighting? I'd be amazed if they weren't interchangeable.

the heritage one goes onto the rear fender, its drilled and fitted that as std. I can fit one of these on a laydown bracket,but that means drilling the fender to take the bracket, just a little reluctant to do that at present ,if there is anything else out there. thanks though

the heritage one goes onto the rear fender, its drilled and fitted that as std. I can fit one of these on a laydown bracket,but that means drilling the fender to take the bracket, just a little reluctant to do that at present ,if there is anything else out there. thanks though
I may be failing to understand the issue, but I'm suggesting taking off your complete Fatboy fender and replacing it with a Heritage one.

There are a couple on eBay at the moment; one at £75, one at £120 plus p&p

Removes any worries about drilling the original

Doubt it would fit Gyp, the fat boy has a rear 240 tyre on, lot wider fender than a heritage . Thanks again anyway

thats exactly what I am aiming for Twizzle, Saw that when I googled what I wanted. having a bracket made in the next few weeks with luck ,so will see how it ends up

thats exactly what I am aiming for Twizzle, Saw that when I googled what I wanted. having a bracket made in the next few weeks with luck ,so will see how it ends up

When I saw the Aus one, my thought was to find a local man-in-a-shed fabricator

so I finally got round to removing the huge plate hanger and fitted a smaller bracket underneath

UtSHUFB.jpg

i have left the number plate light off. i ordered a really small LED one, they double up as plate fasteners, But after looking into it, you dont actually have to have one by law or for the MOT. However if you do have one it has to be working. a reflector is required by law and I have a very small round one on its way to attach. The Plate is 7.5 x 5.5 so its under size without taking the piss, I might order a smaller one still

zwrZRNI.jpg

Could you not get the plate down a bit, under the fender?

Could you not get the plate down a bit, under the fender?

Yes, I think that’s the better position for it, when the new plate ( tad smaller ) comes, that’s where I will put it , it slides quite nicely under the fender too

Yes, I think that’s the better position for it, when the new plate ( tad smaller ) comes, that’s where I will put it , it slides quite nicely under the fender too

It’s going to look much better like that, and have the added advantage of acting like a big mud flap to keep the crap off yer rear end! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom