Printers on Macs

I have already tried. It doesn't appear on the network. Unless you can connect by USB first, how does the printer know what network to connect to?

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to prove here. This printer is designed to be connected by USB/Network/wireless.

Why didn't you just say so

Mine is connected through the network and just works so without actually being there I dont see what else I can suggest

Because I only just tried it.

Again, without a prior USB connection, how would the printer know which network to connect to? It would be impossible to connect to it to make any modifications if it was connected to a different network to the PC.

Because I only just tried it.

Again, without a prior USB connection, how would the printer know which network to connect to? It would be impossible to connect to it to make any modifications if it was connected to a different network to the PC.

I connected mine to the WiFi network (I believe it is possible to do this with an Ethernet cable into the router if you so wish and in doing so it becomes part of the network )

The same WiFi network that my Mac book pro connects to and lo and behold the Mac book finds the printer and I print things

I have the cannon for photos which I admit I rarely use and it isnt quite as swanky as your Pro 1. I also have a proper Toshiba printer scanner copier thing on the same network.

I chose which particular printer I want to use when I hit the print function

I connected mine to the WiFi network (I believe it is possible to do this with an Ethernet cable into the router if you so wish and in doing so it becomes part of the network )

The same WiFi network that my Mac book pro connects to and lo and behold the Mac book finds the printer and I print things

I have the cannon for photos which I admit I rarely use and it isnt quite as swanky as your Pro 1. I also have a proper Toshiba printer scanner copier thing on the same network.

I chose which particular printer I want to use when I hit the print function
But if I connect it by ethernet it won't necessarily connect to the same network that my MacPro is on. This is why a USB connection is required so that the IP address of the printer be set to something appropriate to the network the PC is on, or at least be directed to the correct DHCP server.

Otherwise the Mac and the printer could be on entirely different networks.

I already have two other printers connected to the Mac (by USB), the Pixma Pro-1 worked perfectly well on my previous MacPro (by USB alone) admittedly with an earlier version of Mac OS X.

But if I connect it by ethernet it won't necessarily connect to the same network that my MacPro is on. This is why a USB connection is required so that the IP address of the printer be set to something appropriate to the network the PC is on, or at least be directed to the correct DHCP server.

Otherwise the Mac and the printer could be on entirely different networks.

I already have two other printers connected to the Mac (by USB), the Pixma Pro-1 worked perfectly well on my previous MacPro (by USB alone) admittedly with an earlier version of Mac OS X.

How many networks do you have ?

In simple terms one router = one network so if you have one router that is the one the Mac connects to and will be the one that the printer connects to

The router provides the network not the Mac or the printer ( I accept that in theory they could )

Someone could be along shortly to tell me otherwise but the IP Address has next to fuck all to do with it and getting bogged down with that won't help

Connect Mac to router

Connect printer to router

They re both then networked

Job jobbed

How many networks do you have ?
2 (at least)

In simple terms one router = one network so if you have one router that is the one the Mac connects to and will be the one that the printer connects to
Not necessarily. I have a (ISP supplied) modem router that supplies IP address in the range 192.168.1.nnn and a wifi AP/router that supplies IP addresses in the range 192.168.52.nnn.

The router provides the network not the Mac or the printer ( I accept that in theory they could )
Yes (but routers)

Someone could be along shortly to tell me otherwise but the IP Address has next to fuck all to do with it and getting bogged down with that won't help
It does matter. My Mac is on the 192.168.53.nnn network, but the printer doesn't know that.
Connect Mac to router
It is already connected to (one of) the networks)
Connect printer to router
But how to tell it to connect to the correct router. I'm assuming it's getting it's IP address from the DHCP server at 192.168.0.1 not the DHCP server on 192.168.53.1

They re both then networked
But can't talk to each other because they're on different networks (I'm presuming)

Job jobbed
Not so much, which is why I prefer to connect the printer with the simplicity of a USB connection. I have no need to have the printer on the network, it is only ever used by the MacPro and in any case I need to connect it by USB to tell to connect to the same network that the MacPro is on.

All good so far.
Clicking the '+' gets me the 'Add' dialogue, but there's nothing that says "Add printer or scanner". just a list of the existing printers/scanners and icons for 'default', 'IP' or 'Windows'. What version of Mac OS X do you have?

Use the IP address of the printer.

RBW.

Use the IP address of the printer.

RBW.
What is the IP address of the printer? Unless you have a USB connection to it you can't find that out. It may be on one of two different networks. It would be necessary to change it to get an IP address on the same network as the PC.

In any case a USB connection is better for my purposes.

Have you tried connecting to it wirelessly?

I've never had problems with Macs and printers, but loads with Windows.

As for what network is it connected to.....there should (might) be a way to display that on the printer's screen. I don't really know anything about Canon, but have a look for the settings screen, then wifi and see if it will tell you anything.

Maybe it is already connected to wifi, and for some reason has disabled it's USB port.

Printers are often obstreperous *****, but I can highly recommend the Epson Ecotank ones. Ink becomes dirt cheap, last for thousands of pages and then is only about twenty quid to fill up again.

I bloody hate printers! Nearly all the computer issues I have to solve are with printers.

I have a new MacPro and everything is fine except the printer I use for printing photographs (Canon Pixma Pro-1) refuses to have anything to do with the Mac.

At one point the MacPro refused to boot if the printer was connected. I've updated to 10.15.7 and was offered an updated driver for the printer at the same time. Now, at least the Mac will boot with the printer connected, but there's no sign of the printer anywhere (it's connected by USB). No error codes on the printer (no blinken-lights), just no sign of the printer on the Mac.

Both Apple and Canon reckon the printer should work with Catalina, but it doesn't.

Anyone have a clue?

Download the full Cannon suite, it'll work fine from there.

2 (at least)

Not necessarily. I have a (ISP supplied) modem router that supplies IP address in the range 192.168.1.nnn and a wifi AP/router that supplies IP addresses in the range 192.168.52.nnn.

Yes (but routers)

It does matter. My Mac is on the 192.168.53.nnn network, but the printer doesn't know that.
It is already connected to (one of) the networks)
But how to tell it to connect to the correct router. I'm assuming it's getting it's IP address from the DHCP server at 192.168.0.1 not the DHCP server on 192.168.53.1

But can't talk to each other because they're on different networks (I'm presuming)

Not so much, which is why I prefer to connect the printer with the simplicity of a USB connection. I have no need to have the printer on the network, it is only ever used by the MacPro and in any case I need to connect it by USB to tell to connect to the same network that the MacPro is on.

The modem is at a guess for the fibre broadband and required it also acts as a router is that supplying Wifi ?

Why the need for a second router unless this is the only way to have Wifi

You only need one WiFi network which is either from the modem/ router or the other router which I assume is fed from the modem

once you have only one Wifi network which should support many many devices ( mine supports Mac book Pro, 2 I pads 2 printers, 2 mobile phones ( when im in) 6 Alexa things,TV Bose sound system, Apple Time capsule, 3 Sky boxes and many light bulbs and switches plus probably a few things I have forgotten) it manages to do this simultaneously and without problem, you should not need to have to decode Ip Addresses to get this to work.

You could come here log onto my Wifi and print on my printer as you would be looked into my network and part of it I should be able to do the same at your place so what I am not getting is why this is so difficult and I must be missing something

Download the full Cannon suite, it'll work fine from there.
I think I did. I downloaded from the Canon site, but the Mac wouldn't even boot when the printer was connected. It would only boot withe the Apple Pixma Pro-1 driver update installed.

The modem is at a guess for the fibre broadband and required it also acts as a router is that supplying Wifi ?
No fibre here, unfortunatly
Why the need for a second router unless this is the only way to have Wifi
The network has a lot of devices attached (50+). The ISP router couldn't handle so many devices so I installed a Netgear Nighthawk router which is much faster and can handle an apparently infinite number of wifi devices. Even so there were difficulties (mainly delays) with the Nighthawk managing all the lights, cameras, thermostats, access controls etc along with computers iPads, phones etc. The installers decided to use the IPS-supplied router network (192.168.0.nnn) for their purposes leaving the Nighthawk network (192.168.53.nnn) free for computers etc. It now works flawlessly.

You only need one WiFi network which is either from the modem/ router or the other router which I assume is fed from the modem
It would certainly be simpler, but didn't work nicely

once you have only one Wifi network which should support many many devices ( mine supports Mac book Pro, 2 I pads 2 printers, 2 mobile phones ( when im in) 6 Alexa things,TV Bose sound system, Apple Time capsule, 3 Sky boxes and many light bulbs and switches plus probably a few things I have forgotten) it manages to do this simultaneously and without problem, you should not need to have to decode Ip Addresses to get this to work.
Not our experience. In any case, to change the configuration of all the devices on 192.168.1.nnn to the Nighthawk would probably cost more than the printer is worth.

You could come here log onto my Wifi and print on my printer as you would be looked into my network and part of it I should be able to do the same at your place so what I am not getting is why this is so difficult and I must be missing something
Perhaps, but I'm reluctant to go to the hassle of reconfiguring the 192.168.1.nnn devices (a configuration which we know doesn't work well when the printer should simply work via USB

I send my images to Photobox.com for printing :thumb2

Andres

I have occasionally used print services, but I'm very fussy about how my prints look and even with their print profiles I've not been pleased with the results.

Have you tried connecting to it wirelessly?
Actually not, but how do I tell the printer what network to connect to?

I've never had problems with Macs and printers, but loads with Windows.
Likewise
As for what network is it connected to.....there should (might) be a way to display that on the printer's screen. I don't really know anything about Canon, but have a look for the settings screen, then wifi and see if it will tell you anything.
The Pixma Pro-1 doesn't have a screen.

Maybe it is already connected to wifi, and for some reason has disabled it's USB port.
That's a thought.

Printers are often obstreperous *****, but I can highly recommend the Epson Ecotank ones. Ink becomes dirt cheap, last for thousands of pages and then is only about twenty quid to fill up again.
Next time perhaps. But the Pixma Pro-1 makes wonderful prints.

I had a wry smile when I saw the title of this thread. Just yesterday I was messing with a Mac and a printer.

I use a 2015 MBP and I bought a new Brother laser printer six months ago. All works perfectly. I'm still running 'Catalinia' on the Mac as I could see no good reason to go to 'Big Sur'

Mrs C has just bought a new MacBook Air running Big Sur and guess what? Yup, the Brother printer won't print documents the usual Mac way (file-print tells you that Apple doesn't have the drivers required for the printer) There is a workaround using the Brother 'Print and Scan' app' which gives you the options of printing pdf or pictures only.

I have confirmed all of this with the Brother web site.

Progress - :confused:

Back
Top Bottom