Printers on Macs

The printer is Canon MG5220 and support was dropped when Catalina was launched and there is no plan to update the drivers.

I am finding it difficult to find generic drivers online.

There is no ethernet port on this printer so I will try the USB connection to Airport Time Capsule and wifi.

I may have to set up the printer for network printing so will have a look at this later tonight.

On direct (usb) to Mac it will print Jpeg but only outlines in documents. Text is missing.
Worth having a look here (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/), I didn't find a driver, but you may be luckier

Sorry,should have said that this Macbook is on Big Sur version 11.4

Hope that helps

I see Canon still support your printer and provide the drivers for Catalina and Big Sur.

Mine has dropped off the cliff and is no longer supported.

Got a new iMac this week running Big Sur and my Canon MP270 will print, copy but won't scan. Weird.

Sorry,should have said that this Macbook is on Big Sur version 11.4

Hope that helps

I have a similar problem with my MG6250 printer and Big Sur. I contacted Canon, here are extracts from the reply:

"Date: 15/01/2021
Case: 00126442

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

In response to your enquiry regarding the driver request for your PIXMA MG6250, we regret to inform you that this product is not compatible with macOS 11.0 (Big Sur) and no drivers will be made available.

When the launch of a new operating system is announced, Canon reviews the existing product range to see which of these products can be considered for the provision of compatible drivers. This is mainly down to the technical compatibilities between the new operating system and the Canon product.

We apologize for any inconvenience this will cause you, however If you wish to upgrade your product, you may be interested in checking our online store for current promotions and offers on new products. Alternatively should you have another computer running on an older operating system, please select you product and then the applicable operating system to view the support available for this product from the link below."

and

"Furthermore, Canon always advises its customers to check the compatibility of their associated Canon products prior to the upgrade of an operating system. To this purpose, our consumer helpdesk staff are always available to assist customers with such enquiries.

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely,

Tóth Zoltán
Canon Services & Support

Telephone Support:
020 7660 0186"

However I can still print using the generic Apple software available from a drop down menu, just not with the flexibility offered by the Canon software.

tom

I see Canon still support your printer and provide the drivers for Catalina and Big Sur.

Mine has dropped off the cliff and is no longer supported.
Same here. Just bought £600-worth of ink.:blast

Back
Top Bottom