Printers on Macs

stolzy

Reaction score
I bloody hate printers! Nearly all the computer issues I have to solve are with printers.

I have a new MacPro and everything is fine except the printer I use for printing photographs (Canon Pixma Pro-1) refuses to have anything to do with the Mac.

At one point the MacPro refused to boot if the printer was connected. I've updated to 10.15.7 and was offered an updated driver for the printer at the same time. Now, at least the Mac will boot with the printer connected, but there's no sign of the printer anywhere (it's connected by USB). No error codes on the printer (no blinken-lights), just no sign of the printer on the Mac.

Both Apple and Canon reckon the printer should work with Catalina, but it doesn't.

Anyone have a clue?

have you gone into System settings/Printers & Fax and added a printer?

I loathe printers. In the 30 odd years I've worked associated with IT stuff, I've never got on with them really.

Mine works fine

tRY THIS

1. Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.
2. Open the Printer and Scanners menu.
3. Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
4. Click the plus (+) sign and look for an option that says "Add printer or scanner". Click this option.
5. In the next window, click Default on the upper left corner. Wait a few moments, then highlight the Canon IJ Network version of the printer.
6. Click Add on the bottom right corner when it becomes available.

Oh and make sure the printer isnt on or connected if installing drivers. Windows tells you this Mac does not

have you gone into System settings/Printers & Fax and added a printer?

I loathe printers. In the 30 odd years I've worked associated with IT stuff, I've never got on with them really.
Yep, but there's no Canon printer to add.

Mine works fine

tRY THIS

1. Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.
2. Open the Printer and Scanners menu.
3. Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
All good so far.
4. Click the plus (+) sign and look for an option that says "Add printer or scanner". Click this option.
Clicking the '+' gets me the 'Add' dialogue, but there's nothing that says "Add printer or scanner". just a list of the existing printers/scanners and icons for 'default', 'IP' or 'Windows'. What version of Mac OS X do you have?
5. In the next window, click Default on the upper left corner. Wait a few moments, then highlight the Canon IJ Network version of the printer.
6. Click Add on the bottom right corner when it becomes available.

Oh and make sure the printer isnt on or connected if installing drivers. Windows tells you this Mac does not

All good so far.
Clicking the '+' gets me the 'Add' dialogue, but there's nothing that says "Add printer or scanner". just a list of the existing printers/scanners and icons for 'default', 'IP' or 'Windows'. What version of Mac OS X do you have?

Catalyna or whatever the latest one is

Do the driver install without the printer connected or on have you tried that

Otherwise i have no clue as mine was working fine last i used it but mac book pro not full mac ..

Catalyna or whatever the latest one is

Do the driver install without the printer connected or on have you tried that

Otherwise i have no clue as mine was working fine last i used it but mac book pro not full mac ..
Bizarre. The printer wasn't connected when the driver was installed because the Mac wouldn't boot up with it connected.

Guess I'm in the market for a new printer then.

Which is annoying because I just spend £300 on a set of ink cartridges.

Bizarre. The printer wasn't connected when the driver was installed because the Mac wouldn't boot up with it connected.
If the printer is powered up an working previously and the Mac is new i can only think it is a driver issue if the Mac cant find the printer

Hang on you said USB connection ?

Shouldnt that Be Ethernet cable if you are hard wirring rather than networking

Guess I'm in the market for a new printer then.

Canon printers and Macs are not always good friends (drivers).
At work I used to have an old Epson 3880 and it was magic. Worked flawlessly. Amazing photo prints.

Check if the drivers haven't been blocked by Catalina's system integrity thing.
You will see that in Preferences > Security.

Canon printers and Macs are not always good friends (drivers).
At work I used to have an old Epson 3880 and it was magic. Worked flawlessly. Amazing photo prints.

Check if the drivers haven't been blocked by Catalina's system integrity thing.
You will see that in Preferences > Security.

Possibly but I have had no such issues but I had to update to Catalina where his new one may have been pre installed

I still think that if he is on USB it won't work as the manual is very clear to use ethernet cable

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300011664/01/PRO-1_NonPC_EN.pdf

Why? It worked fine by USB with my previous MacPros.

It has a USB device socket. It's intended to be connected by USB

I dont know why but the Instruction manual I posted the link to seems quite insistent however if you dont think following the instructions are worth a go thats unto you

Mine is not the pro 1 though so I will concede I cant really comment on this with USB etc as I have mine wirelessly as well

I dont know why but the Instruction manual I posted the link to seems quite insistent however if you dont think following the instructions are worth a go thats unto you

Mine is not the pro 1 though so I will concede I cant really comment on this with USB etc as I have mine wirelessly as well
The full manual has instructions for connecting by USB and the spec includes USB interface.

Is it worth a go trying Ethernet or better to spunk 400 quid on a new printer that still might not work with USB

I have tried very hard to be helpful

Im out good luck
I have already tried. It doesn't appear on the network. Unless you can connect by USB first, how does the printer know what network to connect to?

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to prove here. This printer is designed to be connected by USB/Network/wireless.

Back
Top Bottom