Best tarmac tyre for 1200/1250?

I have the TA3 on my Crosstourer (don't say a feckin word Boxerthrust) and I am really enjoying them.
I would be interested to try the new Tourance Next II but I think it will be a while because the TA3 are wearing so well.

S20 5G sent this......

I did try a set of the Tourance 2 as they looked good on the rims , but for me they were good but a bit lazy and neutral , not a bad thing , but nothing like the TA3 , that's why they were taken off and sold after a few good rides out and replaced again by the TA3.
Just waiting for the M9rr to come along, as this is worth a go.

Just waiting for the M9rr to come along, as this is worth a go.

The Metzeler website shows a 170/60/R17 & 120/70R19. I have them on both my bikes including my 1250 Rallye, albeit on a wider rear rim. The grip and feedback are superb as you would expect from a sports tyre, but the surprise is in the wet, when they are as good if not better than Pilot Roads or Roadtecs, both of which I have used on a GS.

The Metzeler website shows a 170/60/R17 & 120/70R19. I have them on both my bikes including my 1250 Rallye, albeit on a wider rear rim. The grip and feedback are superb as you would expect from a sports tyre, but the surprise is in the wet, when they are as good if not better than Pilot Roads or Roadtecs, both of which I have used on a GS.

Have got the link , cant find it. Cheers

Younger has it, the rear tyre was 6yrs old in May.

To be fair it was sold at a bargain price at £50.00, so I should have realised.

I’m sure it would be fine for most purposes, but not for me, plus it doesn’t feel right putting 6 year old rubber on an 18 months old bike.

I believe that m&p still have some available on their eBay site for those who want to buy one.

In all fairness.......it wouldn't have lasted that long on the bike anyway!!!

(they give fantastic grip......at the expense of mileage)

S20 5G sent this......

After some original indecision I had actually decided to use it, but when the brand new 2021 front tyre arrived three days after the 2015 rear, there was such difference in the rubber texture between the two tyres, I decided to return it.

I was surprised that nobody mentioned trail-riders following my original question?

TA3’s seem to win the popularity vote and the reviews hands down!

Stick I don't think you already tried a set of Tourance Next 2 tires unless your real name is Luigi and you are a Metzeler/Pirelli tire tester...;)
Next tires I will try are these TN2 and then M9RR...Grip vs longevity or both ?
And maybe another set of RA3 on the 1250 to compare them to the TA3 and PST2...TA3 though is IMHO the Best GS tire in the triangle longevity,handling,stability followed by the ST2 which might be even a hair quicker steering but with penalties in wear and high speed stability.The RA3 is probably a little better than both on a trackday because it can take more heat...These tires have all one thing in common.The GS runs out of lean angle before the CTA3,CRA3,PST2 run out of grip ! That was also true for the old Tourance Next.

When pushing hard, the most important thing to me is feel. It gives you confidence and feedback to know when you can push harder, or back off - regardless of the rubber compound. The danger with sticky tyres that offer little feedback (Michelin, you are guilty of this) is that you have grip grip grip and then you can be on your arse wondering what ever happened? We talk on these forums about tyres for the GS as if we were pushing for qualy in MotoGP... on a GS lol. If you wanted to judge tyres when at 62 degrees of lean as if you were Team Petronas/Boxerlust, then I politely suggest you are on the wrong horse. All the current crop of tyres allow plenty of grip that will land you in jail on a GS - I am currently on Karoo Streets which are a 60/40 tyre, and can run them to the edges and still be going as fast as I was on the 5/6 sets of PST2s I've previously run. Grip is important, but I would judge a tarmac tyre equally for feel, knowing that feel is what will give me the confidence to go faster/back off when having fun in the twisties - at 30mph as much as at 130mph (where permitted).

When pushing hard, the most important thing to me is feel. It gives you confidence and feedback to know when you can push harder, or back off - regardless of the rubber compound. The danger with sticky tyres that offer little feedback (Michelin, you are guilty of this) is that you have grip grip grip and then you can be on your arse wondering what ever happened? We talk on these forums about tyres for the GS as if we were pushing for qualy in MotoGP... on a GS lol. If you wanted to judge tyres when at 62 degrees of lean as if you were Team Petronas/Boxerlust, then I politely suggest you are on the wrong horse. All the current crop of tyres allow plenty of grip that will land you in jail on a GS - I am currently on Karoo Streets which are a 60/40 tyre, and can run them to the edges and still be going as fast as I was on the 5/6 sets of PST2s I've previously run. Grip is important, but I would judge a tarmac tyre equally for feel, knowing that feel is what will give me the confidence to go faster/back off when having fun in the twisties - at 30mph as much as at 130mph (where permitted).

And also ... real world usability.

A tyre that works all four seasons. A tyre that warms up quickly. A tyre that works well in the wet.

Are my Tuono's Supercorsa's a good tyre? Yeah they're great ... when its dry and warm! But they're feckin useless for at least 4 months of the year!
So I concur ... a good tyre is the sum of its parts and not just 'how well it grips'. :thumb2

Spareparts what you say is right...That is why I hate Michelins and crashed on them.They stick and then without a warning let go and then you are down...I love Conti,Metzeler/Pirelli because before they let go they start to squirm and tell you hey buddy you are in the danger zone now where things can turn bad...That gives you lots of confidence :thumb
Bridgestones feel wooden and are dangerous in the rain...Avon or the chinese stuff I would not even try if you value your life...And like you said tires like the CTA3 or PST2 give you all the performance a GS can give you...The only thing the manufacturers can work on is tire wear and maybe come up with a tire that is quick steering and still stable @ V/max...
And of course if the M9RR does come in GS sizes there finally is a tire good enough for fast laps on the track without having to switch to a 17" front...:thumb2

I had to take a trip today so took the bike. After yesterday's weather - very heavy showers - some of the roads were covered in shite and running water. No tyre in the world would help on that!

(For those of you who know the Military Road alongside the canal between Rye and Appledore, here's a useful hint for future reference: you'll struggle to keep up with a Mercedes C63AMG.)

Quinten you are a funny man :thumb
In rain or dirt covered roads it is always prudent to take it easy...And yes these C63AMG's are fast and do sound great :thumb2 I wished they came with a stick...

I fitted a pair of Michelin Road5 trial today, I had the road 4 on my RT and they were faultless then had the road 5 on my RS they were the same so thought id give them a try
they have simply got to be better than the Anakee trial's that were fitted as standard !!

Rob

Stick I don't think you already tried a set of Tourance Next 2 tires unless your real name is Luigi and you are a Metzeler/Pirelli tire tester...;)
Next tires I will try are these TN2 and then M9RR...Grip vs longevity or both ?
And maybe another set of RA3 on the 1250 to compare them to the TA3 and PST2...TA3 though is IMHO the Best GS tire in the triangle longevity,handling,stability followed by the ST2 which might be even a hair quicker steering but with penalties in wear and high speed stability.The RA3 is probably a little better than both on a trackday because it can take more heat...These tires have all one thing in common.The GS runs out of lean angle before the CTA3,CRA3,PST2 run out of grip ! That was also true for the old Tourance Next.

My bad , I meant the current Next .

I have had my second 1250 for about 3 weeks and am going to change the stock tyres. I had Metzeler Roadtec 01’s on my old bike and the difference is really noticeable in terms of the agility. Having re-read this, I think I will try the Trail Attack 3’s for a change. Like the sound of them. Any feedback from guys who’ve had both would be very welcome.

I have had my second 1250 for about 3 weeks and am going to change the stock tyres. I had Metzeler Roadtec 01’s on my old bike and the difference is really noticeable in terms of the agility. Having re-read this, I think I will try the Trail Attack 3’s for a change. Like the sound of them. Any feedback from guys who’ve had both would be very welcome.
Yup, Had both. Only had one set of roadtec 01s then moved on as they did not last long. Next two sets PST2 (for me) better than 01s. Now on 2nd set CTA3s, I prefere the feel of the PST2 but the CTA3s have the edge on grip and last longer. The last set did 6000mls including 3000mls of two up touring. I always change the pair, the front would have done another 2 or 3000mls.

Back
Top Bottom