Sidecar advice

Nightrider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this in the right place. I have been thinking about getting a sidecar outfit and yesterday a pal offered me this. He got it a few years ago as part of a deal. It is apparently a Watsonian Monza. It obviously needs restoring but looks pretty straight forward, assuming it is all there. No engine to worry about. A lot of the parts are available from Watsonian. It will need a new seat, windscreen, lights and wiring as well as very thing else. I wondered if anyone had done of these before, any thoughts or comments and in particular, any idea of what it is worth? Look forward to views. Chris.

Attachments

• 8F7377EC-C18E-40A9-AAC0-2EBE406A004D.jpg
    8F7377EC-C18E-40A9-AAC0-2EBE406A004D.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 213
  • FC74CC81-DBA8-49FF-9D3F-7C3582EFBD75.jpg
    FC74CC81-DBA8-49FF-9D3F-7C3582EFBD75.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 0DCD1B32-BC56-449B-9CAB-642085A92A2D.jpg
    0DCD1B32-BC56-449B-9CAB-642085A92A2D.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 220
  • BC8CAD36-AE72-4430-92B3-88AE554A984F.jpg
    BC8CAD36-AE72-4430-92B3-88AE554A984F.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 216
Getting a chair is easy, fitting it to a bike without making the two items a death trap is harder.

Whatever bike you decide to mount it on, the chances are someone will have done it before so go here and read the threads, sign up and ask for advice.

http://www.sidecars.org.uk/

When you fit it, the first thing you need to try is a wheelie.

When you fit it, the first thing you need to try is a wheelie.

They’re easy, just find a big, empty car park, keep going round in anti clockwise circles and up it’ll come as long as you keep increasing the speed.

They’re easy, just find a big, empty car park, keep going round in anti clockwise circles and up it’ll come as long as you keep increasing the speed.

No, the method is, rev the tits of it, dump the clutch and then wonder why you’re suddenly facing the other way.

Andres to the Bat phone ..... Andres to the Bat phone .......

Not putting the cart/chair before the horse, what tug you using?

:tarka

Chris, that’s a ‘project’, it’ll cost a fortune. For something you’re not sure about yet?

Get something all good to go and take it from there. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask specifics :thumb2

Andres

Agreed.

That will probably cost as much to restore as buying a serviceable chair would.

Fine if you want a project to work on but I'd be paying very little (if anything) for a donor in that condition.

Attaching it to a bike is a whole different ballgame and needs doing properly if the outfit is going to be safe to ride.

At the end of it all you have a sidecar outfit and unless you've already driven one you may find you don't like it. Clutch and gears is really about the only similarity with riding a solo.

The rest takes learning and it may not be for you.

Lots to consider.

Moving this to the sidecar section where you might get a better response.

Back
Top Bottom