Which single DSLR Lens?

Cyber

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking for a single lens for my Nikon D5300 to take away touring. I know there will be compromises but the majority of use will be for everyday tourist snaps, indoors, outdoors scenery and friends.

Any suggests what to go for?

I'm thinking the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 but interested to hear your thoughts?

Cheers

Yep, your choice is what I would recommend , it's a good general walkabout lens had one in the past, not Stella wide open at 200mm but keep a higher iso or use the VR and f8 and you'll get reasonable results

Yep, your choice is what I would recommend, had one in the past, not Stella wide open at 200mm but keep a higher iso or use the VR and f8 and you'll get reasonable results

:beerjug: Cheers - I was a bit concerned there may be distortion, some of the reviews say it's quite pronounced across the range but good to hear you have had good results. Thanks

I had a 18-200 VRII years ago, bought it for bike travels at the time and I was still “understanding” what type of photos I would take I guess.
The VR is magic, but the photos are always a bit “flat”.
Distortion was never an issue to be fair.

As suggested above: keep it stopped down, helps.

I sold it 4/5 years ago to fund the fujii I now take while traveling on the bike.

On a trip to the US for Speed Week at Bonneville Salt Flats in 2019, I took my 12-24, 35mm and 55-200 lenses.

At the very least, I'd go 18-55 and 55-200. I think the compromises in one lens with a huge zoom range are too great.

Having said that, Ken Rockwell seems to like it and even recommends the 18-300. https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18-200mm-ii.htm

I have the 18-108 Nikkor as my walking about lens. Its excellent. It does all I need on a day-to-day basis and can be had used from a proper dealer for about £100 - a bargain.
But on the bike I keep a Panasonic Lumix in my inside pocket. It has superb Leica optics and a 30x zoom. A damn sight cheaper to replace that the big Nikon, for sure. And its always there in my pocket to use without even getting off the bike.

I have the 18-108 Nikkor as my walking about lens. Its excellent. It does all I need on a day-to-day basis and can be had used from a proper dealer for about £100 - a bargain.
But on the bike I keep a Panasonic Lumix in my inside pocket. It has superb Leica optics and a 30x zoom. A damn sight cheaper to replace that the big Nikon, for sure. And its always there in my pocket to use without even getting off the bike.

I'm definitely coming to that way of thinking. There are some real star performers in the work of compact cameras since I last looked into them..

Back
Top Bottom