Air bed

A good friend of mine got one of these and didn't like the integrated pillow so he gave it to me and I tried it at the ABR weekend.

I'm back to my Exped Downmat and Exped inflatable pillow as my hip was on the ground when I laid on my side.

A good friend of mine got one of these and didn't like the integrated pillow so he gave it to me and I tried it at the ABR weekend.

I'm back to my Exped Downmat and Exped inflatable pillow as my hip was on the ground when I laid on my side.

Thanks that's useful feedback.

+1 for exped
I use the down mat 7
Works for me :thumb

I've been thinking about treating myself to a new mat - a quick search has shown that most places are showing the Exped SynMats mats are "Out of stock" - has anyone got link to somewhere with stock available please?

Even though I’ve recently bought an Exped MegaMat 10 LXW ( and not used it yet ) I have today just bought a new Exped Downmat 9LW with built in pump. :D
Reason being is pack size. The MegaMat is supremely comfy but doesn’t pack down very small. I’ll use the MegaMat 10 LXW on Alp / Scandinavia trips where weight / size isn’t important and I’ll use the Downmat 9 LW on lightweight trips.
Both mats get superb reviews so should be covered everywhere I want to go. :thumb2

You don’t say what size / style you want, but….

https://www.bergzeit.co.uk/exped-sy...2JLUDNKkCjgVaViHP92-66u9Ks9il6wcaAvtoEALw_wcB

Amazon list them as available

I seem to be able to find several places flogging them, allowing me to go through to ordering and quoting delivery dates as early as next week. Have I misunderstood something, Mark?

Thanks Richard, The first half a dozen links I found seemed to be showing out of stock. I have to confess there are almost too many to choose from on the Exped website. I'm now looking at the SynMat XP 7 MW or the SynMat UL M. Suggestions are welcome and thanks for the link to Bergzeit.

Thanks Richard, The first half a dozen links I found seemed to be showing out of stock. I have to confess there are almost too many to choose from on the Exped website. I'm now looking at the SynMat XP 7 MW or the SynMat UL M. Suggestions are welcome and thanks for the link to Bergzeit.

Yep so many variants and the model names are confusing, but I think I cracked their code :D

Just bought an exped synmat 9 XP based on the recommendations here. Ideally I would like the wide size (MW or LW) but anywhere that has them in stock seem to be £30-40 more. Looking forward to trying it out. It has a £15 Halfords air bed to beat, so the bar has been set fairly high (12cm high in fact) ;) :beerjug:

I'm dreading the day my exped synmat mega 12 LXW dies, as they don't appear to make them any more! It's fantastic.

I used to have an Argos air bed. At about 03:00 one morning it went from a nice comfy over inflated thing to a snivelling 1/4" sliver of cold plastic on a concrete floor. This was whilst trying to get some kip in a cold and draughty Scout hut. That led to me buying my Thermarest which is now due for an upgrade.

We have had 3x Downmats 7LW and currently on a Synmat 7LW. The Synmat is the better: it packs smaller, slightly lighter and is easier to both inflate and roll up. It’s also cheaper. Whilst it “R” rating is slightly lower in all practicality those numbers are irrelevant for normal biker type use unless you go to those insane euro winter rallies. I was recommended the Synmat by the team at Tamarack outdoors on the basis of its better all round performance and that it is more reliable….

… I have however found the Downmats to be unreliable in the longer term with either the membrane or whatever that stops the down from escaping failing, or the glue between the tubes failing so you end with one huge bubble. These two mats were about 6 years old when they failed though but the latest failure is on the wife’s Downmat - one big bubble, 3 years old but unused in 2020. It’s being replaced under the 5 year warranty but she is getting a Synmat as it’s replacement instead.

Despite all that they are probably the best addition you can make to your camping kit.

Exped down mat 9 DLX & Exped pillow- utterly superb, and mine has lasted for years. The sleeping mat is expensive, but it has performed flawlessly.

Pillows…we tried the XL Exped pillows too. Good but Sea to Summit ones are better. Flock finish. Easier to inflate and a better shape so more comfortable. Cheaper as well.

We have had 3x Downmats 7LW and currently on a Synmat 7LW. The Synmat is the better: it packs smaller, slightly lighter and is easier to both inflate and roll up. It’s also cheaper. Whilst it “R” rating is slightly lower in all practicality those numbers are irrelevant for normal biker type use unless you go to those insane euro winter rallies. I was recommended the Synmat by the team at Tamarack outdoors on the basis of its better all round performance and that it is more reliable….

… I have however found the Downmats to be unreliable in the longer term with either the membrane or whatever that stops the down from escaping failing, or the glue between the tubes failing so you end with one huge bubble. These two mats were about 6 years old when they failed though but the latest failure is on the wife’s Downmat - one big bubble, 3 years old but unused in 2020. It’s being replaced under the 5 year warranty but she is getting a Synmat as it’s replacement instead.

Despite all that they are probably the best addition you can make to your camping kit.
Thanks Austin, this is really helpful, just the sort of insight I was hoping for.

Exped down mat 9 DLX & Exped pillow- utterly superb, and mine has lasted for years. The sleeping mat is expensive, but it has performed flawlessly.
Thanks Bounce; useful to know.

I'll probably go for the Exped Synmat7

Cheers all

Pillows…we tried the XL Exped pillows too. Good but Sea to Summit ones are better. Flock finish. Easier to inflate and a better shape so more comfortable. Cheaper as well.

I use a motorcycle helmet bag and stuffit with my fleece, towel and so on.

I just got my Exped Downmat 9 LW delivered. It’s pretty light ( 1250g ) and packs down very small. I’ll pump it up later with the in built pump and see how comfy it is. They reckon it’s good down to -38 degrees C! I’m NOT going to be testing that.

After a warm and comfy week of sleeping on it I'm pleased to report that my new Exped Synmat UL MW performed perfectly. Packs down nice and small, easy to pump up with the snozzle bag and more importantly I slept well on it.

Excellent news. :thumb2
I’ve just had two nights on my Exped MegaMat 10 and can confirm it’s superb! Blooming big pack size so it’s a trade off in that respect but extremely comfy. :thumb2
Not tried my Downmat 9 LW yet.

I bought an Exped air bed off this forum and have been delighted with it. I have no idea what model it is but it's got the in built pump that makes you look like you're carrying out CPR on it to get it inflated. I've looked for a schnozzle bag but non of the UK stockists appear to have any available, nor have they for months.
I bought an Exped inflatable air pillow recently and am as equally pleased with that as I am the air bed.

Back
Top Bottom