X Spoked Wheels and twin discs on a Monolever Bitsa.

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m in the process of trying to convert an ST Bitsa bike from cast wheels back to spoked wheels. Aiming for 19” X spoked front and 17” X spoked rear which is going to require an extensive amount of faffing about. The rear conversion is in progress. The front end is from an R80RT with twin calipers (mounted the wrong way round).

Question #1 – I believe that a paralever front hub will fit the forks. I know that the late model R100R came fitted with twin discs. Is it possible to add a 2nd disc to an earlier single disc hub? - or will I need to hunt down a late R100R hub – which I’d imagine would be quite rare.

Info appreciated.

Also, I'll post a wanted add, but if anyone has any parts that may be of use, I'd be very grateful. Spare twin disc R100R front wheel anyone:augie

Ta:thumb

Question #1 – I believe that a paralever front hub will fit the forks. I know that the late model R100R came fitted with twin discs. Is it possible to add a 2nd disc to an earlier single disc hub? - or will I need to hunt down a late R100R hub – which I’d imagine would be quite rare.

Bit of research and it seems that this will be possible - you can add a 2nd disc to a single disc hub. So that's good:thumb

I'm running a 4 stud monolever final drive and a custom paralever rear wheel - Bitsa!

Is this the one Mikeyboy did for you?

Bit of research and it seems that this will be possible - you can add a 2nd disc to a single disc hub. So that's good:thumb

Have you had any luck finding the right disc at a decent price?

I'm thinking of doing a spoked wheel conversin on my R80 Mono outfit. How is it all working out for you?

I think yer need a 2 ribbed wheel hub = off a g/s or police bike Adam. they can fit double disks
I think I unlaced a r800ST spoked front the got central wheel at A446 birmingham way to lace it to a 21 rim = I wanted an off tarmac bias
then just get a 19 rim off a F650
Are they all still 40 spoked??
It will be for speed and road I presume
Good luck mate keep us all informed

Dr Alf

Are you set on a X-spoked front on your ST bitsa? … as I have a 19inch ST wheel sitting in the garage doing nothing apart from gathering dust.
( I replaced it with a 21” wheel on my ST bitsa)
Good condition, straight, stainless spokes….. shout if it’s of interest to you.

Bubb

The cross spoked rims on my GS didnt hold air, and had to be run with tubes, so can't see any reason anyone would want to fit them.
The design is just wrong, can be redone but only at considerable expense for little as few tire manufacturers permit plugs in bike tires anyway.
The beads usually come off the rim too, probably on the day you are not towing your trailer with the generator and industrial sized compressor to bnlow them back on---!

Slightly slow on the responses here - only a year or so, sorry.

Still working on the airhead project bike - found all the bits for the X spoke rear wheel now. Finding a rear rim took forever. I just need to get the wheel built now with an offset, not many people around that will do that but I've found a couple. @val - yes I bought the machined R100GS hub from Mikey a good few years ago and it's been in the shed ever since. Fitting a x spoke wheel and 4 stud final drive to a monolever is not an easy thing to do!

Still looking for front wheel parts.

Mainly for road use Mick - bimbling about with a 1070cc kit and some other go faster bits:D

Still working on the airhead project bike - found all the bits for the X spoke rear wheel now. Finding a rear rim took forever. I just need to get the wheel built now with an offset, not many people around that will do that but I've found a couple. @val - yes I bought the machined R100GS hub from Mikey a good few years ago and it's been in the shed ever since. Fitting a x spoke wheel and 4 stud final drive to a monolever is not an easy thing to do!

Mainly for road use Mick - bimbling about with a 1070cc kit and some other go faster bits:D

Don't know if it helps, but I've been doing some research on wheel and fork fitment for my outfit. Ended up buying a set of almost unused Wasp Leading links from a K100, which moved my plans sideways a bit.

I have found that the K bikes and the R mono bikes share the same front wheels and spindles. The K bike yokes fit the R bikes. The K bike forks look identical to the R mono bikes, but in fact have 41.4mm stantions and the yokes are set wider than the R monos 38mm forks.

The R Monos, R GSs and K bikes all share the same size front discs. These are the four hole discs. I can't remember if the g/s uses the four or five hole discs. If four hole, they will fit. Even different designs will still fit. My outfit currently has two different discs fitted (although I've just bagged a pair of matching discs for 30 quid) with no problems mounting them. The K1100 callipers needed adjusting a bit though.

Here's one you might not have thought of. The R1200C, the big harley style bike? The front wheel is a cross spoke and the forks will I understand fit an airhead. Saw a /something on FB the other day. The guy said it's a straight fit.

I'm guessing when in your op you said you fitted the brakes the wrong way round, that you've fitted the fork sliders on the opposite sides, so the callipers are on the back instead of the front? Will make it look a bit different, won't make then work better but I imagine that's not your aim. We'll be needing photos soon.

Val.

What front wheel do you want Dr Alf? I have a G/S front with spindle in the loft, not mint but straight.

Thanks both - hadn't thought of the 12C wheel - will have a read up on that. Thanks a lot. Nin - looking for a cross spoke front wheel was thinking 19" which I think will need an paralever airhead hub laced to an 11xx (or 850) rim - I had previously thought that the r100r was 19" but its actually 18". Thanks for the offer of the G/S wheel though and good luck with your build.

Here's one you might not have thought of. The R1200C, the big harley style bike? The front wheel is a cross spoke and the forks will I understand fit an airhead. Saw a /something on FB the other day. The guy said it's a straight fit.

I'm guessing when in your op you said you fitted the brakes the wrong way round, that you've fitted the fork sliders on the opposite sides, so the callipers are on the back instead of the front? Will make it look a bit different, won't make then work better but I imagine that's not your aim. We'll be needing photos soon.
Val.

Thanks Val - I've just managed to track down an R1200C front wheel so I'll be able to confirm the info above shortly. Worst case I can sell it on. I think it's also a 18" and I'd rather a 19" ideally but it's a good start. With regards to the brakes - the callipers are mounted on the front of the forks rather than back (as per normal bikes) - it's just cosmetic but I'd prefer it to look conventional

I happen to know where there is a complete 100r front end,
Wheel forks yokes calipers.
Pm if it’s of interest

Sorry Mike - I completely missed this - will drop you a line.

Still faffing around with my Airhead Bitsa project bike and now determined to get the thing on the road and trip worthy before it's tax and Mot exempt - couple of years to go. It turns 40 as I turn 50 so the cogs are starting to whirl regarding a trip of some kind. Maybe.

What I have learnt is that changing wheels on a monolever bitsa bike and going from cast wheels to spoked wheels is an almighty PITA.

Rear wheel current status - R100GS hub procured which was already machined down to fit the 4 stud mono rear hub which was fitted to the pyg when I bought it. 17" 2.5" R100GS rim also procured. Next step is to get the wheel built offset to fit - not many people around that will do this. Does anyone have any experience of any wheel builders? I'd like to fit the widest tyre possible - a massive 130 section beast.

Front wheel - bike is running a horrible R100RS monolever front end with the callipers mounted on the front of the forks rather than behind and a cast 18" wheel. R1200C x spoked wheel procured. Doesn't fit - although may do with a lot of custom machining work that I have zero appetite to faff around with. I'm starting to think the best option is to replace the entire front end - I'm after a twin disc x spoke setup so late R100R would probably be the best option. Does anyone have one kicking around that I could buy please? Or any paralever GS front end? I'm after a 19/17 setup so would look to build the R100R/GS or R80GS hub to an oilhead GS front rim. I have the rim already available.

Other option is to give it to SWT and let them make a YouTube video build out of it.

Love airhead life:thumb

Here's a photo of the little pyg. There's a great bike in there somewhere

Attachments

• BMWST.JPG
    BMWST.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 184
Those forks look same as a ST Adam. Yer could then put a double disced g/s wheel init. Only had one puncture in 12 years on front end.
PS. I have a pair of dellortos thttle fit if yer need um cheap

Those forks look same as a ST Adam. Yer could then put a double disced g/s wheel init. Only had one puncture in 12 years on front end.
PS. I have a pair of dellortos thttle fit if yer need um cheap

Thanks old friend - and good to hear from you. Dellortos may be of interest. Plan is to sort wheels and suspension first then add a bit of power. The forks are definitely airhead mono forks not ST forks (which are very wimpy) - RS and RT are the same I believe. I think the easiest route is an entire front end change to para airhead spec. Keep me in mind for any parts that you're looking to offload please Mick. Still looking for a G/S Paris Dakar single seat and rack!!

Back
Top Bottom