TYRES for R75/6

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry for asking :blagblah but what tyres do people use for standard road riding :blast

Standard road tyres that fit the rims.... :D

Continental probably have something very suitable. Something tells me you won't be troubling modern compounds with a 50 year old 750cc!

Back in the day, if I remember correctly, it was only Continental and Metzler tyres that had the necessary sidewall stiffness to contain the potential weaving of a Gummikuh.

I remember a friend's Dunlop TT100 shod R75/6 going into a tank slapper when I hit a dip in the road at 80 per on it. I managed to quell it by standing up and leaning forward over the headlamp.

It never did that to him as he was a big guy and had enough mass to damp out the vibration.

I once saw him lift an upright piano onto the back of the van on his own after we'd manged to get it down from the top floor in an Edinburgh tenement and I was too knackered to do any more.

Another friend's brother was killed when his similarly shod airhead left the A68 and went through a dry stane dyke.

For me it’s Avon Road Riders. Correct size and looking around a track day paddock, a popular choice for most makes. I love ‘em.

I’ve been very pleased with my Avon road riders. Much better than the twenty year old metelers they replaced. But they were 20 years old!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avon Road riders are good but on my latest build I’m going for Dunlop K70’s just to give a little bit extra bite on gravel roads up in Sweden, where I hope to tour next. A friend uses them on classic Triumph twins and swears by them.

Co-incidentely enough, I have just fitted Road Riders to my Ariel Red Hunter. Yet to be ridden, but these tyres get favourable comments in the owners club. Also (for me) limited choice due to 19" rims.

Best price that I found was at feked.com.

Bridgestones on my R90/6.. (BT45's I think) rate them highly but not tried anything else to compare them with..

I use Michelin pilot actives, available in the correct imperial sizes.

I find that using the original tyre sizes results in a nimble handling bike, but don’t use 1970s air pressures, 36F and 38 R should do it.

I get the modern tyre thing,
But they just look modern,
The conti’s and metzlers just look better:D
I’ve just come back from moting my 80/100/7,
It handled like a dream on the continental tyres,totally stable at high speed,80/90 on a fairly bumpy B road,nice neutral turn in.
No problem with quick direction changes.
Although they look like a classic tyre they are bang up to date.:thumby:

I have to say that I have always found Conti's to be a good tyre at a fair price, although over the years I have tried others, but come back to Conti.
One advantage of the older looking combo. is that they "look the part" & in reality are an updated tyre that does all that is required.
Having said that, I am very taken with the new radial in sizes to suit so-called classic bikes.

https://www.continental-tires.com/m...res/classic-classic-racing/conticlassicattack

Attachments

• conticlassicattack-product-picture-data.jpg
    conticlassicattack-product-picture-data.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 43
  • rb2-k112-product-picture-data.jpg
    rb2-k112-product-picture-data.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 42

Back
Top Bottom