BMW r80 seating push rods in tube seals

Harpenden16

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the love of god i at take off the pushrods from both the intake valve and exhaust valve. I marked up both rods and put them in separate bags. On reassemble the bloody intake push rod will not sit correctly into the tube seal. its not flush at all and sticks out by 30mm.
The push rods for the exhaust valve sits absolutely fine, wtf is going on ???

The original seals seem ok with no leaks. Why won't the intake push rod fit correctly ffs..........................................

Any advice would be well appreciated. kind regards

Have you considered hitting with a big hammer?

Nothing drastic at all. Some bright spark had cross thread the sparkplug so took the whole unit off and got it rethreaded by an decent fellow.

Putting the head back on intake pushrod is not sitting correctly. Not going to force it with a sledgehammer lol !!!!

I suspect you have drawn the follower out, beyond it's usual operating parameters, as you withdrew the pushrod. Oil/stiction. I can't understand why it won't drop back into place though.

Maybe you could drop the head off & remove the pushrod tubes so you can have a look at the follower's operation, as you turn the engine over.

Failing that, a chat with Steptoe(Neil Harrison) may elicit a simple solution.

I suspect you have nudged the motor over past where you took bits off ??

Anyway You can turn the motor over by sticking the gearbox in top gear and rotate the top of the rear wheel forwards

Take the other sparkplug out and the rocker cover off

And as you rotate the wheel what you are watching is the Intake valve rocker

So as you approach TDC the inlet valve has squeezed down and then as you continue you will see it start to move away from the head

Once the rocker arm has almost reached its farthest out point from the head, keep an eye in the small timing port you will see marks appear (you could use a bamboo dowel to feel for TDC if this is new to you, you want the piston at the top of its stroke basically) and you should see letter line up with the groove on the front of the inspection port depending ion year and model

So leave the pushrods in their tubes on the other side and do the same thing have someone stick a finger on the intake pushrod and basically let "the virtual intake Valve" open and then close again on that side and you should be sorted to fit the rocker arms

Maybe you have fitted the head gasket incorrectly,if you have it will protrude into the pushrod aperture.
This could be preventing the pushrod from going into the follower centrally
Easily done if unaware

Attachments

• C76D2482-F007-42C0-93AC-C976D2E0CA61.jpg
    C76D2482-F007-42C0-93AC-C976D2E0CA61.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 989D5823-1C8F-44BF-A736-E3446D7A09A2.jpg
    989D5823-1C8F-44BF-A736-E3446D7A09A2.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 276
MMMMMmmmmmmm, yes i concur with your response about nudging the motor over.

I will have a go at it tomorrow.

Thankyou all for some excellent advice.

Tbh i have been really busy but i will defo keep you posted.

The replacement gasket as just arrived too !!!!

Will attack it asap !!

After some excellent advice on here, youtube and taking time to read the manual i managed to put the bike together again. This included the whole exhaust system, new gaskets, push rods and tappets. I then rode the bloody thing down to a excellent old school BMW mechanic based in Ruislip Midx. I asked him to replace the old leaking push rod seals and also the push rod housing.

Excellent chap he also sorted out the starting issue, and set up the bike correctly again. Although riding the bike back along the A40 onto the M25 and M1 in hissing rain at the height of Traffic madness perhaps was not such a good idea !!!

I felt like James Bond 007, shaken not stirred lol !!!!!

Next job to sort out the short stubby mufflers, looks the bollocks and a sweet sound for five minutes. However after five minutes the hand made italian exhausts almost make my ears bleed !!!! Hey ho

Back
Top Bottom