Considering a GS, an advice needed, please.

VladMD

Reaction score
Hi all, i hope you can help me to get my head straight here. I have advertised my current bike (Honda CBF1000) and thinking of something slightly bigger, quicker and comfier. The bikes I am considering are:
1. KTM 1290 Super Adventure, 2019
2. BMW R1200GS 2016/2017
3. Ducati Multistrada 1200S

To be true, I haven't taken any of the bikes for a test drive for obvious reason :).
I like the way KTM looks and all the fancy electronics it has, including a nice TFT dash, not sure about quality yet, I like the power of KTM (on paper) too, not sure I need that much though.
Ducati is a left field choice which probably should be considered with the other 2 bikes I mentioned above, well,this is Ducati so should be quick and easy to ride, not sure how reliable they are.
BMW is popular, has a strong engine and the feature i really like it has a shaft drive, also most youtube videos say it is one of the most comfortable bikes around but I can't justify yet get the bike which is 3 years older and cost as much as 2019 KTM! I like that BMW has a Dynamic DSA rear suspension which is automatically adjusted.

I am sure most of you had to make the same decision as i am to make now, can you please tell me your thoughts and if you had a test drives of any of the bikes, the good, the bad and the ugly sides of them? At the moment I am tilt more to GS then any other bikes on the list.
I am after comfort, easy to maintain and one which is important to me is engine vibration, this is why I consider the bikes with cruise control so i can rest my arms occasionally. Mostly I ride alone and not planning on Europe trips but sometimes (it will be more often) I take my daughter as a pillion.

Thanks to everyone's help in advance.
Vlad

Personally I would get the newest/lowest mileage KTM you can afford - far better value than a GS and IMO a better bike so long as you are not hung up on having shaft drive.

Build quality IMO is better than BMW.

GS is probably a better 2 up bike but as you said most of your riding is solo so not a priority.

Had the 1190 and now the 1290 SAS for 3 years and cannot see me going back to a GS any time soon (had 10 GS's the last being a 2014 GSA) ;)

Will not comment on Ducatis as I have never owned one.

Its your bike, dont listen to anyone else.

Ride them all and make your decisions based on your needs.

Listening to a few folk on a forum will tell you nothing.

Save yourself some cash!
Look at Andres’ (Outtomunch on here) 1190 - very well sorted and looked after bike.
A lot of folk prefer the 1190 to the 1290!

I own a 1200 Rallye Sport and I love it but it's not my only bike. The problem (for me anyway) is that having ridden bikes for over 30 years is that It's a bit pedestrian and tame. It does everything it should do and does it well but doesn't have the buzz of a 'real' bike for me. I've even taken it on my local motocross track much to everyone's amusement but it's not even coming close to 250's in that environment. Maybe its my lack of skill. I'm more than happy with it but it will never be the fun animal that the KTM is. As an only bike I'd probably lean toward the KTM.

Save yourself some cash!
Look at Andres’ (Outtomunch on here) 1190 - very well sorted and looked after bike.
A lot of folk prefer the 1190 to the 1290!

I think I would prefer a 1290, nicer dash, better ergonomics and electrics.
The problem I have is that I have no near bike to test drive, they all down south, 3-4 hours driving/riding. I will wait (I hope as I am very impatient person :) ) until lockdown is over and take one for a test drive. Plenty GSs around though!

Personally I would get the newest/lowest mileage KTM you can afford - far better value than a GS and IMO a better bike so long as you are not hung up on having shaft drive.

Build quality IMO is better than BMW.

GS is probably a better 2 up bike but as you said most of your riding is solo so not a priority.

Had the 1190 and now the 1290 SAS for 3 years and cannot see me going back to a GS any time soon (had 10 GS's the last being a 2014 GSA) ;)

Will not comment on Ducatis as I have never owned one.

Thank you Paul, much appreciated! Now I need to wait for a lockdown to go away and get a few test drives!

Its your bike, dont listen to anyone else.

Ride them all and make your decisions based on your needs.

Listening to a few folk on a forum will tell you nothing.

I disagree, what else you need forums for as not to find out what owners like/dislike about their bikes/cars, problems they have etc.
Some people might have valuable information based on their personal experience, vibey engine, unreliable etc and that would be useful to me.
Anyway, appreciate everyones unput, thank you!

Thank you Paul, much appreciated! Now I need to wait for a lockdown to go away and get a few test drives!

Here you go - one of mine up in Scotland last September to keep you going - raining of course :D

Here you go - one of mine up in Scotland last September to keep you going - raining of course :D

Paul, that looks beatiful! Top box is the one I would like to have too! The bikes look nice too!
How do you find the heating issue (due to that V-twin angle), is it so bad or nothing really to report enoguh, especially in Scotland?
Also, is that V-twin quite vibey or compared to BMW opposite twin not to bad?
Thanks Paul!

Paul, that looks beatiful! Top box is the one I would like to have too! The bikes look nice too!
How do you find the heating issue (due to that V-twin angle), is it so bad or nothing really to report enoguh, especially in Scotland?
Also, is that V-twin quite vibey or compared to BMW opposite twin not to bad?
Thanks Paul!

Top box is Kappa version of the Givi.
Heating not an issue on the 1290's much improved over the earlier 1190's.
Never notice the vibration - so cannot be too bad ;)

Get yourself a test ride when you can and find out for yourself :D

Pre - covid times:

I think I would prefer a 1290, nicer dash, better ergonomics and electrics.

After reading the reports of the 1290, I was keen to try one. Took one out for an hour or so (maybe not long enough?) and was less impressed than expected. Made the decision to stay with BMW and now own a 1250.

Try them all and see what suits you.

Thanks @Mr Bean, I really want to try both of them!
I has a wee shot on my neighbors R1200RS, 2021 and was not blown away, fair enough the bike is still not run in but the ride I expected to be much comfier than it was even though it was in ROAD mode. I hope GSs ride is better, less crashy.

I own a 1200 Rallye Sport and I love it but it's not my only bike. The problem (for me anyway) is that having ridden bikes for over 30 years is that It's a bit pedestrian and tame. It does everything it should do and does it well but doesn't have the buzz of a 'real' bike for me. I've even taken it on my local motocross track much to everyone's amusement but it's not even coming close to 250's in that environment. Maybe its my lack of skill. I'm more than happy with it but it will never be the fun animal that the KTM is. As an only bike I'd probably lean toward the KTM.

Thanks @Manganr, I am leaning so far towards KTM but still wish I could try one out. Most post say that BMw is a relaxed and solid choice and KTM is a wild, riders choice!

Thanks @Manganr, I am leaning so far towards KTM but still wish I could try one out. Most post say that BMw is a relaxed and solid choice and KTM is a wild, riders choice!

"Make Life a Ride" vs "Ready to Race" sums it up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom