Zumo XT no longer routing on OSM maps - Fix is (maybe) delivered - scroll to end

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve tried it and I think it’s true. People were thinking it was a big with the new firmware, which also removes the ability to save maps to a computer, but it may well be by design.

If that’s the case it make the XT much less useful for anything other than road navigation using City Navigator, so if anyone cares could you log it with Garmin Support please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

====

Title edited 20 March 21

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Big bog bug, begs assistance.

Very odd that the XT seems to now be unable to route using Open Street Map. Similarly, the separate inability to save detailed maps to a home PC, is a backwards step.

I’ve tried it and I think it’s true. People were thinking it was a big with the new firmware, which also removes the ability to save maps to a computer, but it may well be by design.

If that’s the case it make the XT much less useful for anything other than road navigation using City Navigator, so if anyone cares could you log it with Garmin Support please?

Yes you are correct - just tried it myself.

Here was me rejoicing that the track line could be widened as a great leap forward ........ and then that !!!!!

It's an arse, both ways. There are plenty of areas (like Morocco and the Balkans) where the CN maps are not as good as OSM maps, and as long as you have CN maps selected the OSM maps don't display.

And there are some very good maps (like https://gravelmaps.de/en/) that will prefer routing down unmade roads and which now don't work. They still work on my Montana 700i, but I wonder if that's to be taken away too with a firmware upgrade. If that's the case, maybe my research into the Android apps won't be wasted.

I hope the not installing maps thing isn't force into using the frankly dreadful Garmin Explore site for route planning (and which uses OSM maps!)

Seems an update is on the way to re-enable routing.

me rejoicing that the track line could be widened

Did they add this setting?
Where?

No, sorry, my source comes from another forum I am part of.
Apparently a Dutch site (Mr.Gps https://www.mrgps.nl/) had early access to firmware version 6.02 and confirms the routing is back.

Yes, I found that too. Also reports the new firmware loses all the current gpx data on the device, so back up before upgrading.

Is Mr GPS anything to do with JaVaWa? The javawa tools are still great, even though long out of support and the main reason I haven’t upgraded to 64 bit MacOS

I haven’t used javawa yet because all my macs are with 64 bits OS :(

Not upgrading the zumo anytime soon as my motorbike usage is non existent at the moment

I don't think Mr GPS is the same guy that developed JaVaWa, I have heard that he is in poor health & no longer developing the software. I have also noticed that JaVaWa device manager does not work with the XT, maybe because it is an android based device.

Can somebody explain what this means?

In Europe, can the XT show and follow dirt tracks, trails and unmade roads? Wikiloc and the TET?

I know the UK is different for trails, as much is based on OS mapping

Simple explanations would be helpful:thumby:

I received this from Garmin - I haven't acted on it yet as I'm busy with other things at the moment.

Happy to hear from you can you try for me,
Reinstall or Change Map on an Automotive Device
Van you check what mapping is enabled
Enabling maps
Can you tell me the version of express and the version of the XT you are using?
Kind regards,
Garmin Europe

So at least they make the effort.

In Europe, can the XT show and follow dirt tracks, trails and unmade roads? Wikiloc and the TET?

I don’t have an XT, JB.

As I read the posts, it is possible to still load Open Street Maps onto the device. What it is no longer possible to do, apparently, is to create a route and have it run whilst displaying the Open Street Map on the device’s screen. I guess it makes no difference if the route (or track) follows metalled regular roads, goat tracks or just takes off across a field, it just won’t run.

I am happy to be corrected about any of the above.

I don’t have an XT, JB.

As I read the posts, it is possible to still load Open Street Maps onto the device. What it is no longer possible to do, apparently, is to create a route and have it run whilst displaying the Open Street Map on the device’s screen. I guess it makes no difference if the route (or track) follows metalled regular roads, goat tracks or just takes off across a field, it just won’t run.

I am happy to be corrected about any of the above.

Thanks, so is the XT any good for road and offroad .................or would a Montana 700 be better??

Thanks, so is the XT any good for road and offroad .................or would a Montana 700 be better??

One good thing about this latest software update is the ability to make a track wider. Before this update there was a work around to make a track wider by editing a text file and it was better. The Montana was better in this respect where a Track

(as opposed to a Route) was easy to follow. A Track is just a line to follow on the map as compared to a Route which gives you directions and Up-Ahead information.

*.gpx files that you download for the TET are Tracks.

With the wider Track option the Zumo XT should be as good as the Montana for displaying a Track.

OSM (Open Street Maps) are free and can have more detail than the Garmin City Navigator.

Unfortunately the ability to run OSM on the XT has been crocked - don't know if this is accidental or deliberate; let us hope for the former.

So my thoughts are the Zumo XT should be as good as a Montana for following Tracks.

Those are my views at the moment but are subject to change when someone with greater knowledge comes along. :beerjug:

Yes, you can load tracks from Wiklocs or TET or your mates, in gpx format, into the XT, and follow them as you could/can with most Garmins. Just following the line is what you get.

There are no OS maps that you can load to the XT, and the pre-installed Garmin Topo maps are pretty useless but it does t stop you following a track.

I don't think Mr GPS is the same guy that developed JaVaWa, I have heard that he is in poor health & no longer developing the software. I have also noticed that JaVaWa device manager does not work with the XT, maybe because it is an android based device.

I head he was sick, too. He is a clever man

Correct, Richard, though it seems the inability to route on OSM maps may be a bug - but this applies to road routes anyway (apart from Gravelmaps.de which does route tracks, but not reliably in the UK.). We wait with bated breath to see if Garmin will allow the use of other routable maps.

JB, either will do. I’ve got a Montana 700i for trail bikes and an XT for road. The 700i (not the 700) will do road routing, but you’ll miss a lot of features that you get on a road gps. On the other hand, as mentioned above, the XT doesn’t handle OS maps.

Back
Top Bottom