2020 CB500X

Anyone moved from a F800gs to a CB500X? . . . . .
Alistair,

I bought a CB5X new at the beginning of 2020 whilst still owning a F8GS. It was to be the replacement for my 600 Transalp (I'm planning on NEVER being without a F8GS). I put over 6k miles on the CB and formed the opinion that it would never be a replacement for the Transalp. For me, the CB lacked "feel", being "souless" when compared with the Transalp and even when compared with the F8GS. That combined with its lack of ground clearance (standard machine, no Rally Raid add ons) led to me selling it in June of 2021.

The F8GS does everthing that I want from a dual purpose machine, as does the Transalp and the 4 x XRV750s I had in the past. But, and I know this'll draw comment, I consider the F8GS to be better in all departments when compared to the older Hondas and obviously way better than the flabby R1200 bikes ;).

If you must scratch the CB5X itch, try and get a Rally Raid upgraded suspension machine. It'll fit you way better than the standard bike, even the latest 19" front wheel versions.

Just my tuppence worth.

SteveT

:dragon

If you had posted this up ten years ago I'd have laughed in your face, it's funny how as time goes by things change and I find myself drawn to these and similar type bikes.

I'm now considering going from my T7 down to a KTM 390 Adventure. :D

I really like Honda's CB500X as an all around, do most everything motorcycle.

Some interesting views on what is clearly a capable bike. The holy grail of light, comfy, able to take luggage and maybe even a pillion occasionally, sit at 80, go easy off road and look good.
40 years ago it was very easy, it was the bike you could afford.

Any interest in this one? Just testing the water. Full Rally Raid Conversion 2016 model 19" Front & 17" Rear spoked wheels.

Interested parties pm me.
Cheers.

20211129-112203.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Sorry if this is perceived as a hijack to the originators post. See For Sale & Wanted.

Great bikes though IMO but then I might be biased.

Another fun and uneventful year of ownership

Took her in for the recall work on Monday

Attachments

• 1A861E95-E22B-4EF5-BD6E-ECAF03529B6F.jpg
    1A861E95-E22B-4EF5-BD6E-ECAF03529B6F.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 469
Still wondering about one of these, need to go and have a test ride sometime.

The 2022 model looks good with better suspension and brakes. Is it happy sitting at 70 to 80 on the motorway?

Light and not too tall, capable do anything bike it seems.

It's fine on the motorway at those speeds, just don't expect much roll on power, you'll need to drop a cog. I found it fast enough for most of my riding and comfy to boot. Also very good on juice.

Still wondering about one of these, need to go and have a test ride sometime.

The 2022 model looks good with better suspension and brakes. Is it happy sitting at 70 to 80 on the motorway?

Light and not too tall, capable do anything bike it seems.

Will it sit at 70 / 80 on motorway - yes , is it happy - NO ! I have altered gearing to make it better , and it still feels like it's revving it's nuts off. For me - one up mostly, plenty of roll on power .. guess we all have different views !!!

Will it sit at 70 / 80 on motorway - yes , is it happy - NO ! I have altered gearing to make it better , and it still feels like it's revving it's nuts off. For me - one up mostly, plenty of roll on power .. guess we all have different views !!!
I thought the same when I tried one Alan. Just a tad too peched oot and buzzy at 70mph. A bit ironic since I ended up with a Himalayan!

Sent from here

If you think that's frantic, be glad of the extra cc and an additional cylinder. I've got a CB300R for my wife and used it as a winter hack and it's about 1000 revs per 10mph, so at the motorway limit it's spinning at 7k revs. It'll do it all day long - it's a Honda - but it sure ain't relaxing at that speed. I would have loved the 500X but it's just too heavy for my wife to handle.

Back
Top Bottom