Anyone in Central Scotland who can solder....?

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just spoken to a very nice, helpful guy called Max at Garmin Support. He's offered me two replacement batteries for my Navigator V for £27.00

From what I've read replacing the battery is anything but plug 'n' play. My soldering skills are more coo wi' a gun than electronic grade.

My previous go-to guy is a friend who's moved to Helsinki. Come back Nuno, all is forgiven.....:rob

So.....would anyone local be up to replacing the batteries in my Nav V for me....?

TIA

I used to work in an electronics factory where soldering numerous parts on to a pcb was my job, it's not highly skilled work I can assure you.

When you say Central Scotland where do you mean ? I have a trip to weegieland later next week.

I used to work in an electronics factory where soldering numerous parts on to a pcb was my job, it's not highly skilled work I can assure you.

When you say Central Scotland where do you mean ? I have a trip to weegieland later next week.

You see where it says "Howe of Fife" on my profile up there....? :augie

I seem to recall that when i had Nav V the battery was a removable thing although behind a screwed in cover

It was a while ago but ....

Edit

I guess the batteries will not be arriving with the loom thing ready attached although they might so it will be just plug and play if they do

Now I'm a bit puzzled. I guess, as Rick suggests, the issue might be if the loom isn't attached.

Attachments

• IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 234
I digress, have a pop it yourself, it's not difficult.

Make sure you heat the source well before adding your solder, for all you'll need I guess, just don't lift the eyelet.

I digress, have a pop it yourself, it's not difficult.

Make sure you heat the source well before adding your solder, for all you'll need I guess, just don't lift the eyelet.

Dry joints R Us... I'm puzzled because everything I've read said there were two 3.7 V batteries which is what that might be, bundled together into one battery pack but I don't know if Garmin will supply the batteries separately or bundled together
as in that pic I just posted. I'm currently on hold to Garmin Support again....

Dry joints R Us... I'm puzzled because everything I've read said there were two 3.7 V batteries which is what that might be, bundled together into one battery pack but I don't know if Garmin will supply the batteries separately or bundled together
as in that pic I just posted. I'm currently on hold to Garmin Support again....

I cannot imagine Garmin will supply 2 batteries that need soldering together along with a loom that also needs soldering on

I can see third party E bay types doing that but Garmin will surely supply as plug and play

I cannot imagine Garmin will supply 2 batteries that need soldering together along with a loom that also needs soldering on

I can see third party E bay types doing that but Garmin will surely supply as plug and play

That would be my hunch as well but I'm sure that in our conversation, the agent quoted me for two batteries at a total of £27.00

Well the answer to that was as clear as the proverbial. Anyone replaced the battery in their Nav V?

I am finding this quite facinating TBH

The Nav 5 is based on the Zummo 660 i think and yet when you go on the Garmin website and look at replacement batteries for the 660 they are not the same as the nav 5 i.e no attached loom

Spare batteries for the newer 595 series zummo do have the loom

Makes no sense to me TBH so maybe a bit of soldering will be needed

Hi Mike,

I too find it hard to believe that Garmin would supply you the individual internal batteries of the battery pack for you to solder in yourself. Perhaps they are sending you two battery packs?
If they are sending two packs, I'll buy one off you if you don't want them both ;)

Bob

I am finding this quite facinating TBH

The Nav 5 is based on the Zummo 660 i think and yet when you go on the Garmin website and look at replacement batteries for the 660 they are not the same as the nav 5 i.e no attached loom

Spare batteries for the newer 595 series zummo do have the loom

Makes no sense to me TBH so maybe a bit of soldering will be needed

Nav IV was based on Zumo 660. Trust me, I have a Nav IV as well.

Garmin advice was that since it's a BMW product, they can't offer replacement batteries, although they do have something (?) in stock but the ever helpful Max at Garmin Support
doesn't know if it will be a ready to fit battery pack with an attached loom or two separate 3.7 V batteries which would need to be joined together and the loom from the existing battery attached to them.

Nav IV was based on Zumo 660. Trust me, I have a Nav IV as well.

Garmin advice was that since it's a BMW product, they can't offer replacement batteries, although they do have something (?) in stock but the ever helpful Max at Garmin Support
doesn't know if it will be a ready to fit battery pack with an attached loom or two separate 3.7 V batteries which would need to be joined together and the loom from the existing battery attached to them.

This wont help but the one for the 590 looks the job and may well work but then again

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/shop-by-accesories/batteries/cAccessories-cBatteries-p2.html

Back
Top Bottom