Hello all, things to look for on 1100GS?

OldGS'r

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm looking at a 1995 1100 GS on Monday (can post a link to the eBay advert if wanted/needed?).

I'm fairly mechanically minded, do my own services and have built a couple of bikes. Been riding for 28 years
now so not exactly a newb!

However I am a TOTAL newbie BMW's like this 1100GS.

I'm asking if there are specific things to look out for with this bike specifically, I can usually spot a nail when I see one.

Thank you to anyone taking the time to reply, I understand it's short notice and that I'm new to the forum. Obviously
if I do buy it, I'll be haunting this place for many years to come.

Jim.

If it’s still on the old rubber brake hoses they will need changing.They have a habit of breaking down internally. Corrosion particularly front of engine.Rear gearbox mountings to make sure they are not fractured . Preferable to have a metal fuel tank plastic ones tend to blister and leak. Check the fuel filter pump access on the tank to make sure fixing studs are not fractured and nuts rusted up.That will do for starters.

Take it out for a run and give it the beans through the gears. The pre 97 bikes can have problems with jumping out of gear slightly - feels like you cut the ignition - can indicate a worn box.

If it’s still on the old rubber brake hoses they will need changing.They have a habit of breaking down internally. Corrosion particularly front of engine.Rear gearbox mountings to make sure they are not fractured . Preferable to have a metal fuel tank plastic ones tend to blister and leak. Check the fuel filter pump access on the tank to make sure fixing studs are not fractured and nuts rusted up.That will do for starters.

That's great advice, I'll make a note. Thank you.:thumb2

I like to think, even I would have sussed that one but appreciate the effort (are you often described as trying?). Kidding.

Just noticed your avatar and can stop looking at it, Leela?

Take it out for a run and give it the beans through the gears. The pre 97 bikes can have problems with jumping out of gear slightly - feels like you cut the ignition - can indicate a worn box.

There's the rub, it's cheapish £1300 because it needs a new clutch. Is that an issue on these, I'm guessing it's like a normal car clutch as opposed to most jap bikes that I know(fairly) well?

There seems to be a lot of lights on the dash, trying to find which ones should be on and which ones should go out. ABS seems like it's often disconnected, do they often fail?

Thank you for replying, too.

Cylinder head exhaust studs broken but if in place will probably be seized.
Low voltage in the battery can result in the abs not setting and the dash lights flash until voltage comes up and you restart motor.
Seat latch mechanism is fragile if seats thumped down.
If left hand cam chain rattles from cold start engine would benefit from cam chain tensioner upgrade.
You asked for things to lookout for and you will be put off buying one but in reality they are great bikes you’ll love it.

Cylinder head exhaust studs broken but if in place will probably be seized.
Low voltage in the battery can result in the abs not setting and the dash lights flash until voltage comes up and you restart motor.
Seat latch mechanism is fragile if seats thumped down.
If left hand cam chain rattles from cold start engine would benefit from cam chain tensioner upgrade.
You asked for things to lookout for and you will be put off buying one but in reality they are great bikes you’ll love it.

Spot on, will add to the notebook.:thumb2

At the end of the day, it's a miley old bike so I'm expecting issues but I'm not put off by that. It looks big and I'm fairly tall so it would be nice to have a bike I don't look silly on.

If it’s the white one.....?

It doesn’t look too bad. A few rusty fasteners here and there. But looks reasonable for it’s ago, considering the price.

I would bet it has a plastic tank, certainly looks like it because it has no lip which the metal tanks usually have.

Don’t be bothered about the clutch. They’re not difficult to do, and the components are readily available.

Looks like original brake hoses, so at 25years old, a must for changing.

You might get the bike cheep, but the parts you’re going to need to get her looking neat and tidy will take your budget to well over £2K.

But, they are nice to work on, and to ride.

Ian

PS.
The engine looks to be over filled with oil. When you start the bike make sure the oil level drops in the window. You should always be able to see the top of the oil level in the sight glass with the engine static and cold.

The bottom of the front engine casing looks heavily corroded. Assess whether it will clean up or removing the corrosion would show holes.

If it’s the white one.....?

It doesn’t look too bad. A few rusty fasteners here and there. But looks reasonable for it’s ago, considering the price.

I would bet it has a plastic tank, certainly looks like it because it has no lip which the metal tanks usually have.

Don’t be bothered about the clutch. They’re not difficult to do, and the components are readily available.

Looks like original brake hoses, so at 25years old, a must for changing.

You might get the bike cheep, but the parts you’re going to need to get her looking neat and tidy will take your budget to well over £2K.

But, they are nice to work on, and to ride.

Ian

PS.
The engine looks to be over filled with oil. When you start the bike make sure the oil level drops in the window. You should always be able to see the top of the oil level in the sight glass with the engine static and cold.

The bottom of the front engine casing looks heavily corroded. Assess whether it will clean up or removing the corrosion would show holes.

Yes that's the one Ian. I thought I'd try the bee's wax trick on the fasteners. Is the front cover steel or ali, it does look rather crusty.
Oh that brown circle on the left side of the engine is a sight glass, it looked like a rusty core plug to me! Be interesting whether or not I can see through that.

So I should be looking for a tank, replacement hoses and a clutch?

I'm going to do a ridden refreshment of her, engine and swing arm repaint and the bodywork, I was thinking the red and white scheme is quite nice.

I was watching a YouTube video as part of my home work and he said he had wheels that were £1000 each to fit off road rubber. I'm looking at TKC80's, will I have to buy special wheels to fit them?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, sorry for all the questions, these are an unknown quantity for me.

Yes, that’s the oil sight glass. The oil looks quite fresh, but you’d expect that.

If you’re looking for a project bike to bring back to full glory, then she has lots of potential. There are a few around here who have resurrected some real dogs, so you’ll get lots of help and tips.

Good luck
Ian

Don’t be in too much of a hurry to replace the tank, provided it’s sound, it has lasted for 25years, so will last a while yet.

Be interesting to see your updates if you get this. Having recently started my own GS ownership I can attest to how easy they are to work on and the amount of knowledge and helpful folk on here.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The front master cylinder may well need doing too, have a good look for leaks and crustyness behind the hand guard.

All these things may well get the price closer to grand..

I loved my 1100 but it was a money pit. My choice because restoring it was a hobby and I enjoyed the process but don’t expect it to be cheap.
Ten years ago lots of good priced secondhand parts could be picked up but they are drying up now.
Beat the seller down to £800 because a clutch job alone will cost over £600 plus (you don’t have to say you will do it yourself). While in there you might want to replace the failure prone actuator arm for a stainless one - £100 thank you sir - and on it goes.

Last edited:
Great suggestions!

Great suggestions. As an owner of three 1100’s I found them all with the original brake cables and are replacing them now. They have not been a money pit for me other than maintenance work I decided to do to them or have done. I would look at all parts mentioned, good suggestions. Buy a new clutch cable as that is the only part that has left me on the side of the road. Luckily I carry one. I still ride mine as a touring bike in SA and in the EU. Enjoy, I certainly have enjoyed my three.

I was watching a YouTube video as part of my home work and he said he had wheels that were £1000 each to fit off road rubber. I'm looking at TKC80's, will I have to buy special wheels to fit them?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, sorry for all the questions, these are an unknown quantity for me.

No... TKC's or any other tyre will not cost £1000 to fit.... maximum £300 a pair I'd imagine. Blackcircles will give you a quote.

I like to think, even I would have sussed that one but appreciate the effort (are you often described as trying?). Kidding.

Just noticed your avatar and can stop looking at it, Leela?

trying ? no ...... 3rd weirdo on the site , ( actually i'm Special....) and yes Leela.

Not sure but I know from experience they replaced the plastic petrol tanks with metal ones, the original ones had issues with paint blistering under the tank. I think I had three tanks in total, all done under warranty. But the issue with the final tank was that it was not correctly centred on the bike. This only came to light when we fitted crash bars, the gap between the bar and the tank was not equal on both sides, one side was very close to the tank, and I could imagine over time as the rubbers deteriorated there maybe contact with the tank. I changed the bike for an 1150 when they came along, so I don’t know what the long term outcome was.

:thumb

Back
Top Bottom