Replacing/repairing wiring loom wrapping tape?

Cook1e

Reaction score
In my other thread re fried Motronic, I have dismantled parts of the wiring loom, but many other parts have dismantled themselves, as the wrapping tape has disintegrated with the ravages of time.

Has anyone repaired this successfully? What's the recommended method? At the moment, I've just got ordinary PVC electrical tape and self-amalgamating tape.

Thanks Squibb, sleeving isn't an option for the loom as it's already all wired up of course.

However, I followed your link and found 'Professional Wiring Loom Tape', which I wasn't aware of, but it seems to be just the job. :thumb

Thanks Squibb, sleeving isn't an option for the loom as it's already all wired up of course.

However, I followed your link and found 'Professional Wiring Loom Tape', which I wasn't aware of, but it seems to be just the job. :thumb

You can still bind in split sleeve or spiral to any areas that need extra protection.

The old way was PVC self amalgamating tape all the way over the loom

whilst it looks very neat, it adds weight and makes the already stiff loom even stiffer

The modern trend is to wide spiral wrap the loom lightly , so the actual wires are visible, with reinforcing at the branches, tightly wrapped.

On bikes, they use a self amalgamating fibre tape, with a small overlap and then reinforced at the branches, with pVc used in certain areas.

Ive done some loom building and repairs for some OEM's , even off the car its a ballache , repairs, rewrapping on a car or bike is my worst nightmare

Look up self amalgamating insulation tape. It sticks to itself forming a water tight seal.

:thumb2

Damn beat me too it by 1 minute....:D

Just looked at that tape myself, it does state on the description, "-Multiple uses as tape for automotive interior wiring harness and noise reduction; cable bundling, and electrical insulation."

Interior use, just wondering about its longevity?

The original BMW loom tape was crumbling when I got the bike about 9 years ago.

I'll let you know about this if I'm still around in 2030 :D

I would consider wrapping it twice!
When the outer layer falls apart after say; 10yrs, the inner will look like new and last as long as the petrol engine functions to be legal to run on the open road for another ten.

Patria o Muerte

Back
Top Bottom