How to solve this stripped bolt on 1150?

Slime Bomb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate of mine decides to get his 1150 Gs adv back on the road after about 15 years sitting in the garage. On fitting a new fuel pump he manages to strip the thread of one of the bolts. Now it wont seal. see pic. What, if anything can be done?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 445
Depending on how bad the thread is - a temporary solution is to use two bolts, one as a locknut on the upper section of thread (if there is any!). Bit bodgy but it’s worked for me in the past with no issues.

Depending on how bad the thread is - a temporary solution is to use two bolts, one as a locknut on the upper section of thread (if there is any!). I have done this in the past with no issues.
This what my brain says will solve it too. There should be thread near the end?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

A proper repair would involve drilling the stripped stud out and brazing a new stud in.
It can be done,with proper safety precautions.

Do you think drilling it out and fitting a rivnut would be better?

Do you think drilling it out and fitting a rivnut would be better?

Outside the seal area so likely to be a possible weak point

Mikey is right, Properly it needs a new stud

IF running a Die down it and using a barrel nut doesn't work

"BUT" I have never seen one leak with just one stud missing

Neil (Steptoe) should able to confirm this as he has mentioned it previously too

Slime bomb Did your mate buy a new O Ring or was it the old one ??

I used barrel nut in my description above

Its a sleeve nut or stud bar connector nut

M5 x 25 instead of just grabbing a couple of threads he gets all the threads but tell him not to be a gorilla when tightening it !

0qrl0g54v7qt8r4m.jpg

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/...onnectors-bright-zinc-plated-grade-8-din-6334

Outside the seal area so likely to be a possible weak point

Mikey is right, Properly it needs a new stud

IF running a Die down it and using a barrel nut doesn't work

Neil (Steptoe) should able to confirm this as he has mentioned it previously too

Slime bomb Did your mate buy a new O Ring or was it the old one ??

Yeah, he used a new seal. personally I don't think the seal was seated properly but thanks for the replies and all passed on.

Depending on how bad the thread is - a temporary solution is to use two bolts, one as a locknut on the upper section of thread (if there is any!). Bit bodgy but it’s worked for me in the past with no issues.

This was my first thought but the threads are chewed up a bit from trying to get the nut off.

I can confirm, there are many many tanks with one stud not used due to the thread being damaged. I've yet to see one leak. BUT, do not overtighten the two nuts each side of the buggered stud to compensate.

A couple of extra washers may be enough, to get to good threads, running a die down is a bad idea it will remove metal (I know after a respray). A good mate fixed one, drilled it undersize, tapped it slightly undersize nose of a taper tap, from the inside inserted a cap screw with epoxy putty let it set and never a drizzle. :beer:

I would try the barrel nut approach proposed by DrFarkoff, I’ve used it one an another GS I used to have and it worked well on a shagged thread. I used a brass one but it makes no difference. On my current bike with the big tank I had a stripped thread on one stud. I got that tank stripped and resealed by Hartlepool radiators and they welded in a new stud for me at the same time. It was a pricey job mind. I would defo try the barrel nut

All sorted! He ended up drilling the stud out, tapped the hole, replaced the stud and used the barrel nut. After all those years of no use with only 19,000mls on the clock it took a while to start but when it did it purred like a new bike!

Thanks to all. :fbthumb

Back
Top Bottom