The 701 Info Thread.

AXP bash plate fitted to my 2017
v pleased with the fit and its quiet too, no "singing"
just refreshed the plastics on the handguards, Rade garage rack fitted with Husqvarnas own tail bag.
really loving this bike
im getting on a bit (60) but its so much more bike than I am rider these days, it's a lot of fun.
NqeHPAk.jpg

Last week a following mate cast aspersions on my tyre fitting by suggesting my rear tyre was on wonky. No such luck - The rim's developed about 4mm of run out. Bollocks!

Last week a following mate cast aspersions on my tyre fitting by suggesting my rear tyre was on wonky. No such luck - The rim's developed about 4mm of run out. Bollocks!

Have you any idea what caused it; was it a ding or has the wheel just run out of true (lose spokes?)?

Andres

Have you any idea what caused it; was it a ding or has the wheel just run out of true (lose spokes?)?

Andres

May I refer the honourable gentleman to post #33! :D

He's been smashing the pants off it from day 1 - good man :thumb2

Funny thing is, it's not the buckled wheel that's taken most of the stick. I have another one with knobblies on that has been used more, and under harsher conditions.

I think it is the one in the post 33 picture that's bent though :D

I got back from doing the Great Western Trail last night and can't wait to see what's bent once i've chipped all the mud off. The handlebar mounts are definitely out of whack.

Well, after umming and arring for a while I decided to lower my 701. I really don't feel confident on it off road on anything other than easy trails, even at 6ft, as much to do with my (lack of) ability off road as it is to do with it being a tall bike.

So I ordered a Kouba lowering link and fitted it the other day. I wasn't impressed with the fact that I had to sand off all the hard anodising where the spindle passes through as it was too tight. With all the anodising removed it was a perfect fit. Also, the needle rollers (4 cages in line) were an absolute fucker to get the other spindle through, I ended up having to knock it through which I wasn't happy about doing. At least it has a grease nipple so it's now full of fresh grease........oh and that's another thing, the plain end was completely dry when I removed it and the roller bearing end was barely greased. Why do bike manufacturers do that?!?!?!

Anyway, I've just finished swapping back to the dirt wheels and have raised the forks in the yokes. The lowering link is supposed to lower the rear by 7/8" and the forks are now showing 3/4" above the top yoke. Oh, and I've fitted the Husky SM side stand, she leans over 'a bit' but nothing too scary, I'm gonna put a 'foot' on it and reckon then it'll be perfect :thumb2

The rear suspension is silky smooth (phew, I was worried I may have done the rear, plain, pin too tight as Kouba's instructions said 70Nm and Husky say 100Nm.....I went with 100Nm), the bike still has the same 'poise' and best of all I can now flat foot in my Docs so with bike boots on I should be laughing.

Just gotta check the sag's not been affected (would a longer link affect that :nenau) and she's good to go. Sunday will be the first chance I'll have of hitting the trails on her, I can't wait to see how she goes :)

Andres

Surprised you didn't go for the official kit - not badly priced and easy enough to fit.
Mines going in after the weekend

Surprised you didn't go for the official kit - not badly priced and easy enough to fit.
Mines going in after the weekend

I kept twoing & throwing between that and a link TBH. The link won in the end as it was simpler to do……. I’ll be interested to see what you reckon on the kit once you’ve got it back :thumb2

Andres

I kept twoing & throwing between that and a link TBH. The link won in the end as it was simpler to do……. I’ll be interested to see what you reckon on the kit once you’ve got it back :thumb2

Andres

Kit is going in - fronts are simple, rear means lifting tank in the air, although I reckon it'll come out the bottom.
Have the RR subframe bolts, etc to do anyway so I'll do it the factory manual way.

What are you gonna do once all the tinkering is done Andres?

Ride it :D

One (well, I) never stops tinkering; I’ve still got a set of heated grips and decent hand guards to go on, and an Oberon clutch slave cylinder…….Oh and I’m still trying to sort a custom tone (ABS) ring so that my TC/ABS/Maps will work with the SM wheels…..it’s all good fun and something that’s hopefully never ending ;)

Kit is going in - fronts are simple, rear means lifting tank in the air, although I reckon it'll come out the bottom.
Have the RR subframe bolts, etc to do anyway so I'll do it the factory manual way.

Ah, subframe bolts, there’s another thing :D (although I’m sure I read somewhere that they have been modified on the last few model years of Husky?).

Andres

Ah, subframe bolts, there’s another thing :D (although I’m sure I read somewhere that they have been modified on the last few model years of Husky?).

Andres

I have heard the same thing. Not bothered changing mine.

Got a valve service coming up soon, and will be greasing the rear linkage. Probably be fitting an uprated spring and Xtrig preload adjuster while it's all in bits.

I've realised I have a major gripe with the bike recently - Why have they cheaped out and missed the opportunity to have blue lighting in the instruments and gone with KTM orange?

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the lowering link,
I bought a SH one supposedly done no miles,
But the seals were fucked and the bearings rusty,
So by the time I’d got it ready to fit I was only a few quid short of a brand new one:blast
I’m just gonna ride mine for now,,hopefully gather parts for a rip down in the winter,
:D

I've realised I have a major gripe with the bike recently - Why have they cheaped out and missed the opportunity to have blue lighting in the instruments and gone with KTM orange?

I recently got the Berotec for mine which is great however I’m the same as you.
Crap MX dash winds me up.
Aurora have finally got their SpeedoX and that looks very nice.
The Berotec may well end up back in the box and either heading back to Germany or on here.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the lowering link

So with the sag rechecked and adjusted slightly I took the bike out today for the first time since fitting the link.

Handling wise I can tell no difference to the standard set up and there still seems to be shed loads of ground clearance, I can't see that ever being an issue as I'm not exactly a hard rider off road........

To say I'm really happy now with the set up would be an under statement. I now feel really confident on the bike, no longer feeling like I'm gonna topple over if I miss a footing, it's quite incredible what a difference it's made for me. Just under an inch lower and it almost feels like another bike!
Of all the stuff I've done to the bike this is by far and away the most worthwhile IMO .

I'm happy :)

Andres

Anyone had issues with the Motoz Rall Z?
They’re on the 701 and brand new and as the OH’s 690 had hammered the Tracker rear commuting (she does have nice backroads route though) thought it would be an idea to put them on that as well to make life simple.
Fuck me - it’s lethal above 60!
With or without rim locks. Makes no difference as we thought that was the issue to start throwing them out of balance. (No weights at all on the 701 btw)
So rim locks out and dynamic balancing. Exactly the same!
So front out of 701 in case it’s something wrong with wheel/new tyre and into 690.
Nope - as bad.
So thinks - hang on…. Front back in 701 and blat that.
Nope - only difference is that doesn’t start the death weave until about 70-75 and it’ll almost clear above 85.

Only experience I have is I’ve fitted a pair,fuck they are heavy/stiff.
Mebbs drop pressures and give it 100 miles.
My mate recons they are brill on his HP2,but I wouldn’t have them,too heavy,too stiff,too expensive.

Is there much difference in the damping twiddles between the two bikes?
Has the 690 been lowered at the rear?

Back
Top Bottom