Tubliss

Deleted account 211025001

Reaction score
I’m quite liking the idea of the Tubliss system; it supposedly protects your rim, you can safely run low pressures and punctures are easy to repair............

What are the experiences of people that use the system, any drawbacks?

Andres

Not road legal on UK roads, as never been type approved (but nor have Bib Mousses:comfort:augie)

Some say it breaks down, at higher speeds on heavier bikes (701 at 70mph plus) - designed for lighter 140kg or less bikes

Chapter and Verse on KTM UK Forum..................all you ever wanted to know about Tubliss

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-finding-a-puncture-on-the-trail.1138257/#post-3952393

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-report-warning-very-looooooong.1230730/#post-4744778

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss.112031/#post-899437

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-fitted-first-impressions.1040593/#post-3338329

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss.1100353/#post-3673177

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-or-not-tubliss.51384/#post-560098

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-v-mousse-v-tubes-again-zzzzz.1045137/#post-3370153

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-mousse-question.1331881/#post-5560761

https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/threads/tubliss-opinions.345746/#post-1489426

(the first 3 pages of threads.......... of 24 pages of topics on Tubliss:D)

Drawbacks of Tubliss? If you puncture the inner hi pressure tube (big nail), as well................... then you are royally fucked

I know plenty of people that switched from mousses to Tubliss, before promptly switching back. That's for trail riding, I don't know anyone that's used them for purely road bikes

Ah, that’s interesting, ta :)

It’s for the 701 as you may have guessed and as it will be my main bike, including travelling abroad, it’ll be used mainly as a road bike with, at times, continuous high speed work on m-ways.........it will of course be used on the trails up here too but yeah, predominantly on the road.

Food for thought.

Andres

PS Ta for all the links JB

Ah, that’s interesting, ta :)

It’s for the 701 as you may have guessed and as it will be my main bike, including travelling abroad, it’ll be used mainly as a road bike with, at times, continuous high speed work on m-ways.........it will of course be used on the trails up here too but yeah, predominantly on the road.

Food for thought.

Andres

PS Ta for all the links JB

As Berin said, lots here have gone back to Mousses, from Tubliss up here
Or just HD Tubes
You could have another spare set of wheels, one with Tubliss for UK and another with HD Tubes for abroad?
There is no perfect option, for trailriding...............Bartubeless maybe worth looking at, but I don't know much about them, but RR are using them for conversion work

https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/yamaha-tenere-t7-billet-hubs-wheels-tubeless-bartubeless

Tim just uses HD tubes (IIRC) and he gets to some remote places

With normal tubes, you know you can always repair it (nipping the tube excepted)

I don't think I'd put it in the 701, I'm having the same dilemna for my 690. At the moment I have ultra HD tubes, but I was thinking of putting in some of this in - Bike Seal. Shite website, but allegedly it's better that Slime and some of the other gunk people use.

Mousses are a non starter for the bigger bikes for normal use, though I use them in the enduro bikes.

Lots of us in my TRF group using Tubliss for several years now with no problems at all!

However - that is for your typical UK trail riding on lightweight Enduro bikes, no luggage and quite slow road speeds.

For mainly road riding I would look at a different system.

For long distance of road trips abroad I would also use a different system - just ask Smallfoot of this Parish about his Iceland experience using tubliss on his CCM!

I don't think I'd put it in the 701, I'm having the same dilemna for my 690. At the moment I have ultra HD tubes, but I was thinking of putting in some of this in - Bike Seal. Shite website, but allegedly it's better that Slime and some of the other gunk people use.

Mousses are a non starter for the bigger bikes for normal use, though I use them in the enduro bikes.

I’m using heavy duty tubes and BikeSeal in my 690 and all good so far.

I also use BikeSeal in the Tubliss system on the 350.

So, it looks like Tubliss, as good an idea as it is, would be totally unsuitable for my needs. The Bartubeless system (and other similar ones) looks like it'd be worth investigating, it looks similar to what KTM use on their spoked wheels in order to run tubeless and Berin, you're not wrong when you said that the Bike Seal web site was a bit shite, bloody hell :D

Andres

So, it looks like Tubliss, as good an idea as it is, would be totally unsuitable for my needs. The Bartubeless system (and other similar ones) looks like it'd be worth investigating, it looks similar to what KTM use on their spoked wheels in order to run tubeless and Berin, you're not wrong when you said that the Bike Seal web site was a bit shite, bloody hell :D

Andres

I would be having a word with John at RR, he would know if the system would work on a 701 and whether he can get it done

Plus he'd explain the pro's and cons

Any tubeless system is great, but offroad it's different as you run lower pressures generally and have solid obstacles to hit and overcome, like roots and rocks etc

If you hit something hard, at lowered pressures..............then you run the risk of breaking the bead and the tyre coming away from the rim & then you are looking at a 8-10" gaping hole, which no 12v compressor will overcome

I have had it on my Trials bike, which runs proper flanged rear rims (like a car) and I was going up a waterfall and caught a rock and the tyre came off the rim (but stayed on the wheel)

Had to push it back to the van, go home and only a big mains 200l compressor, would reseat & seal the tyre

Any tubeless system is great, but offroad it's different as you run lower pressures generally ..................

And that's my issue really. I've no problem repairing/replacing a tube (obvs not what you've described) in the field but struggle with the initial bead breaking 'cos of my leg (balance and strength) so I'm knackered if out on my own, hence my interest in a tubeless system (dinged rims aside). Unless anybody has a way of doing it that doesn't involve standing on the tyre to break the bead?

Andres

And that's my issue really. I've no problem repairing/replacing a tube (obvs not what you've described) in the field but struggle with the initial bead breaking 'cos of my leg (balance and strength) so I'm knackered if out on my own, hence my interest in a tubeless system (dinged rims aside). Unless anybody has a way of doing it that doesn't involve standing on the tyre to break the bead?

Andres

Somebody here yesterday was selling a natty bead breaker (check FS ads) made by Garry H

It would do your job fine

Offroad, there is no perfect tyre inflation solution............they all have Pro's and Con's

If I wanted a genuine solution, Bartubeless looks worthy of closer inspection - especially as you can use Excel rims

On your new 701 there isn't much need to drop below 20psi, in reality as it's a heavy bike (compared to a 2t 250 EXC) and there is a lot of downward pressure on the tyre, for grip

I ran my XChallenge, similar weight and cc, on MT21 tyres with HD tubes at 20psi for 7 years and never struggled for grip in mud or on rocks

Somebody here yesterday was selling a natty bead breaker (check FS ads) made by Garry H

It would do your job fine

Offroad, there is no perfect tyre inflation solution............they all have Pro's and Con's

If I wanted a genuine solution, Bartubeless looks worthy of closer inspection - especially as you can use Excel rims

On your new 701 there isn't much need to drop below 20psi, in reality as it's a heavy bike (compared to a 2t 250 EXC) and there is a lot of downward pressure on the tyre, for grip

I ran my XChallenge, similar weight and cc, on MT21 tyres with HD tubes at 20psi for 7 years and never struggled for grip in mud or on rocks

All good points and like you I'm a bit of a fan of MT21's and yes, run them around 20psi ~ absolutely fine for the sort of (eaxsy) trails I do :)

I'm dammed if I can find the bead breaker advert, is it still there after the little altercation with Bluesweeper?

Andres

Any tubeless system is great, but offroad it's different as you run lower pressures generally and have solid obstacles to hit and overcome, like roots and rocks etc

If you hit something hard, at lowered pressures..............then you run the risk of breaking the bead and the tyre coming away from the rim & then you are looking at a 8-10" gaping hole, which no 12v compressor will overcome

Not found that to be a problem with Tubliss system as the high pressure inner locks the tyre onto the rim and you can run pressures right down very low (I know some folk using sub 4psi :eek:)

The biggest risk I can see is if you tear the side wall of the tyre, which would be very difficult to repair. Couple of years ago I did hit a piece of metal on a trail in Wales and put a hold in the sidewall, but was able to repair it with one of the excellent BikeSeal tyre plug kits. Even though it was quite a big hole, and was on the sidewall near the tread, I plugged it and it held out with no problems for another year. I also believe if you use certain types of tyre (like Motoz) with very stiff sidewalls you can even run the tyre for a short distance on tubliss when it has no pressure in it!

I'm dammed if I can find the bead breaker advert, is it still there after the little altercation with Bluesweeper?

Andres

That’s the one

Garry H may still have some in his workshop

If you want any contact details for him, pm me

Not found that to be a problem with Tubliss system as the high pressure inner locks the tyre onto the rim and you can run pressures right down very low (I know some folk using sub 4psi :eek:)

The biggest risk I can see is if you tear the side wall of the tyre, which would be very difficult to repair. Couple of years ago I did hit a piece of metal on a trail in Wales and put a hold in the sidewall, but was able to repair it with one of the excellent BikeSeal tyre plug kits. Even though it was quite a big hole, and was on the sidewall near the tread, I plugged it and it held out with no problems for another year. I also believe if you use certain types of tyre (like Motoz) with very stiff sidewalls you can even run the tyre for a short distance on tubliss when it has no pressure in it!

My problem with a tubeless rim (nothing inside and like a car tyre)was on a trials bike

I think Tubliss was a fine on small bikes, some TRF lads get in great with it and some prefer mousses or normal tubes

My problem with a tubeless rim (nothing inside and like a car tyre)was on a trials bike

.....and there was me thinking that folk used a soft mousse in trials tyres!

I guess at the low pressures trials boys run at, tubes are out and there's always a chance a tubeless tyre will ping off the rim!

.....and there was me thinking that folk used a soft mousse in trials tyres!

I guess at the low pressures trials boys run at, tubes are out and there's always a chance a tubeless tyre will ping off the rim!

Mousse - wash your mouth out

Trials rears are fully tubeless (like a car) and fronts are normal tubes

We don't even use O ring chains or even chain lube (just a squirt of WD40), due to more chain drag

Just put Tubliss system on my 701. Curiosity as much as anything, though I do fancy the idea of being able to quickly adjust tyre pressures.

I hate to contradict JB, but I find running a soft mousse or very low tyre pressure on the 701 very beneficial off road. Running at 20psi is terrible off road, and no real benefit on road. 15psi is a decent compromise maybe.

I have some experience with fitting mousses and although I found fitting the rear Tubliss pretty easy, the front is another story and I was using a Rabaconda. Getting it off is even worse and I wouldn't like to have to do it in the field.

Back
Top Bottom