Triumph TE-1

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Soon to be cruising the beautiful vistas of Warsall :)P)

Triumph Motorcycles TE-1 electric motorbike. It will weigh around 220kg, produce 174bhp and travel around 120 miles before it’s fooooked.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h80HQzZlwo8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glad they’ve done a prototype that actually looks like a motorcycle. I do get a bit miffed with the “it’ll do 120 miles on a charge” malarky, having owned an Electric car for 18months and 26,000 miles, you will never get 120 miles unless you ride it like Miss Daisey and even if you could, you’d be looking for a charge point well before then, as you can’t walk to the charge point (having run out) and buy a couple of KW’s and take them back to your bike to fill up to continue to the charge point.

Theres a reason the prototype looks like a speed triple too, people that own SPT’s don’t go for long rides, so the concept seems acceptable, 60-80 mile sunday ride, no worries, but if your giving it some beans and plan on doing about 150-200 miles for a nice day out somewhere, your going to be charging it twice and you may be sat in a que, somewhere with no facilities, possibly in the rain. And you may well arrive only to find the chargers not working, even though the App says it is.

Now if Tesla make a bike, then you’ll be alright as they have plenty of chargers (Amesbury services on the A303 has 16), whereas all other makes have to share 2 (and one wasn’t working last time I was there).

In reality, a max range of 120 miles means you can plan on 100 on a warm day if your route is back roads where your on and off the throttle, knock that down to about 80 if its cold and you’ve got heated gear on and probably around 60-70 if your “making progress” with your mates. So a bike thats used for a quick blast is the future, until they can make an electric bike that will do 150-200 at motorway speeds in all weathers.

I know the manufacturers will get there eventually, but the UKGOV need to sort out the charging infrastructure so you can use any charger by just plugging in and presenting your credit card, just like you do at any petrol station. And not as is currently the situation, have half a dozen membership cards, monthly subscriptions to hopefully have the right card for the most convenient fast charger on your route.

Now if Tesla make a bike, then you’ll be alright as they have plenty of chargers (Amesbury services on the A303 has 16), whereas all other makes have to share 2 (and one wasn’t working last time I was there)

Now that would be a game changer if a manufacturer like Triumph could convince Tesla to allow them to use their Supercharger network :thumb2

I know the manufacturers will get there eventually, but the UKGOV need to sort out the charging infrastructure so you can use any charger by just plugging in and presenting your credit card, just like you do at any petrol station. And not as is currently the situation, have half a dozen membership cards, monthly subscriptions to hopefully have the right card for the most convenient fast charger on your route.

I'd like to see the UK take VAG Group to court like they the US Government did over Dieselgate

The fines levied by the US courts is being used to set up the USA Electric Highway :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom